Location near 1000 island

alwaysbeenonadoo

Was wondering with the "free" weekend upcoming' where the best conditions close to the 1000 island bridge are? Would like to possibly make quick trip Saturday and Sunday.

Your best bet would be to go to Mont-Laurier area

Was wondering with the "free" weekend upcoming' where the best conditions close to the 1000 island bridge are? Would like to possibly make quick trip Saturday and Sunday.

I have a 3 day Romance Trip starting in Saint Raymond February 11-13, 2012

It's crazy to drive to Mont Laurier. Go towards Ottawa cross the river and unload at Montpelleir. It is about about a 30 minute drive from Ottawa and there is tons of snow. From there you can ride your sled to Mont Laurier or to Mont Tremblant Park. Trails are super sweet this year as they have been getting snow the whole time we have been getting rain.

To get there from the bridge.... 401 east to 416 north, in Ottawa take 417 east, exit Nicholas and go to King Edward St., cross over the river into Quebec, Take hwy 50 east, exit at Thurso and take that hwy north to Montpelleir (sorry I don't know that hwy #, but there are signes saying Montpelleir).

It's crazy to drive to Mont Laurier. Go towards Ottawa cross the river and unload at Montpelleir. It is about about a 30 minute drive from Ottawa and there is tons of snow. From there you can ride your sled to Mont Laurier or to Mont Tremblant Park. Trails are super sweet this year as they have been getting snow the whole time we have been getting rain.

To get there from the bridge.... 401 east to 416 north, in Ottawa take 417 east, exit Nicholas and go to King Edward St., cross over the river into Quebec, Take hwy 50 east, exit at Thurso and take that hwy north to Montpelleir (sorry I don't know that hwy #, but there are signes saying Montpelleir).

But how is the riding? are the trails nice and how many road crossings? I would prefer to drive a few more hours and get onto good trails.

The trails in that area are amazing... if you have never been... try it.

Road crossings??... if your going to head towards Mont Larier I think you may have three. lol

A couple of pics from Montpelleir.

This was taken about 15 minutes out of Montpellier.

post-402-0-04327200-1328726620_thumb.jpg

This one was taken on our way back and is 1 minute from the parking lot. We decided to go up in the hill and have a beverage.

post-402-0-20604600-1328726738_thumb.jpg

does anybody know were you can stay in a hotel near the trails

[/quote

Montpelleir is a small town and when you enter into it there is a restaurant/bar on the right and the parking is on the left. In that parking are there are rooms but I have never stayed there and don't know the phone #. If you want something more high end there are some nice places close to Montpelleir but again I don't know the #. I have only seen them while sledding. I'm sure you can find all the info on the FCMQ website for that area.

One thing you may want to consider and that is to do a one night saddle bag tour. We used Montpelleir last year as a starting point and headed into Mont Tremblant Park and went to Saint Michels des Saint. We stayed at Le Central. This can be done done easily in one day taking your time.

There is the Auberge Viceroy in Montpellier where you can arrive at, park and they have rooms. Nice place.

http://www.aubergeviceroy.com/

I have a house on Lac Gagnon in Duhamel and i can vouch for Fozzy, the trails are terrific up there, especially the parc trail going up to Val Barrette or Kiamika. A little further north of Montpellier just before Duhamel there is this fantastic log cabin outfit called Les Couleurs de France(the Coleurs of France) a must to stop at.

http://www.chaletcouleursdefrance.com/

post-1347-0-45729400-1328817345_thumb.jpgJust rode out of Montpellier on Sat. to last Mon.... trails are A1 primo. The trails are all marked and wide with little road crossings

sat rode to Devils mountain and surrounding areas from montpellier. stayed at Mount Laurier. Sun left and went West on Linear and down 13 to head back to Montpellier ( just have to say if you go that way there are two trails closed that will cross over to Montpellier. we went all the way down to kanuaka and got screwed because trail was closed due to a Land owner. Had to back track up past Maniwaki to 322 I believe. All trails where in excellent shape with alot of snow. 266 miles sun because of closed trails ) stayed at Riopel Sun night and did all the trails around Breuf in the mountains that are awsome. did 120 miles by 1:00 PM Mon and went home. Its 4 1/2 hours From Syracuse. did 550 miles for 3 days well worth it. These Pics are from last weekend.

post-1347-0-24804900-1328817601_thumb.jpg

Devils Mountain.

post-1347-0-13656100-1328817284_thumb.jpg

Head North and west out of Wakefield. Trail 13 ends down to Kauka due to a landowner closing trail. 13 heads south down through Maniwalki, went down that way Last weekend and was surprised when we got to end and trail was closed so we had to back track all the way back up to Maniwalki. Head West and north Like Mount Laurier and surrounding areas. All trails are in excellent conditions and flat and fast. We rode out of Montpellier and all the trails over there are awsome. Ill try to put up more pics. post-1347-0-40737700-1328915549_thumb.jpg

post-1347-0-63130900-1328915519_thumb.jpg

post-1347-0-45729400-1328817345_thumb.jpgJust rode out of Montpellier on Sat. to last Mon.... trails are A1 primo. The trails are all marked and wide with little road crossings

sat rode to Devils mountain and surrounding areas from montpellier. stayed at Mount Laurier. Sun left and went West on Linear and down 13 to head back to Montpellier ( just have to say if you go that way there are two trails closed that will cross over to Montpellier. we went all the way down to kanuaka and got screwed because trail was closed due to a Land owner. Had to back track up past Maniwaki to 322 I believe. All trails where in excellent shape with alot of snow. 266 miles sun because of closed trails ) stayed at Riopel Sun night and did all the trails around Breuf in the mountains that are awsome. did 120 miles by 1:00 PM Mon and went home. Its 4 1/2 hours From Syracuse. did 550 miles for 3 days well worth it. These Pics are from last weekend.

post-1347-0-24804900-1328817601_thumb.jpg

Devils Mountain.

Thank you for the report,How was Riopel? price,parking secured,rooms and food? Thinking of maybe heading that way as a starting point.Also you mention of riding all the trails around Breuf? were is that located?

Thank you.