Trip Report

Mid Range

Well, We got all kind of conditions this year with table top hard trails to poor conditions. Minus 45 with the windchill to +3 degrees celcius.We wanted to try different trails this year as we rode the northern loop to Chibougamau and abitibi in 2009,2010 and 2011.

Day 1- February 9 Maniwaki- Parent 200 miles

We left Maniwaki at 7:45 a.m. under blue sky and -17 temp. TQ 13/63 was in top shape and hard with good throttle response. Took R322 thru Baskatong Reservoir then TQ 13 til Ste-Anne du lac.Had lunch at resto-bar du touriste. North of ste-anne du lac to Parent was in top shape as well. This year we are back on the old 13 route thru Pourvoirie Fer à cheval via Mitchinamecus Reservoir.We are saving time and mileage by skipping going thru Pourvoirie 100 lacs. We stayed at Le gite in Parent.

Day- 2 February 10 Parent-Roberval. 222 miles.

We left Parent at 8:45 a.m. under light snow. TQ 83 was in top shape right up to Wemontachie. Out of Parent is somewhat twisty but after that it is quite fast toward Wemo. Wemo to Relay 22 was in top shape as well. Relay 22 to Roberval was mint as well. I have to say that north of trenche river bridge to ste-hedwidge is very hilly and really not a fast trail.Lots of “up the hill” and “down the hill”.

We spent the weekend with family and friends. Had good laughs upon the village on ice in Roberval but god it was damn cold.So was the beer.Had some homemade caribou as well.

Day 3- February 13 Roberval-Jonquière 167 miles.

Woke up Monday morning it was minus 30. Sleds had been parked since Friday. So we waited until 9:30 a.m. before trying to start these Polaris 4 stroke. Everything went well as the 3 Webber engine started after 3-4 tries.Were going to ride north of the lake. Took R373 toward La Doré, trail was 7/10 with bumpy curves. TQ 93 around Normandin to Dolbeau was good. We decided to have lunch in Dolbeau at McDonalds.First time I was having lunch in my life at a McDonalds on my sled. Someone was telling me temperature was minus 43 with the windchill.Can you imagine what it feels like on a snowmobile???

God it was cold.Took R367 thru Peribonka then back on TQ 93.These trails were in very good conditions until Saint-Ambroise area. That area was 5/10 as well as R367 to Jonquiere area. Met Saguenay Bill in the lobby and talked with him for a while. Great guy he is.He told us about R367 and how brutal it can be.Told us about a shortcut in Saint-Charles. I also met GTrider at the HS.

Day 4- February 14 Jonquiere-Scooby Raid (Lake tchitogama) 140 miles

We were supposed to head south to Saint-Raymond that day as part of our trip but with the warm spell forcasted we sticked to the north.Talked with Saguenay Bill in the morning and wanted his input on a +- 160- 180 miles ride and a place to stay. So we left the HS and were going to take the shortcut Bill told us.

So once we got to the R367-383 jct, I made the mistake to sticked on 383. We never crossed the bridge and ended up too far west but trails were in very good conditions.Took local trail in St-Bruno to Alma then back on 93 section we rode the day before til R328. Around that area TQ93 runs next with ATV trails.I really don’t know what is going on but TQ93 is such in bad shape. Bumpy as hell in St-Honoré area. Then we took R328 then R367 up to Scooby Raid. Trails were in good shape but I must admit that R367 to Scooby raid is not very wide and twisty. We lost so much time that day(wrong trail and looking at the map) we only rode 140 miles. The food is awesome at Scooby raid.Nice little swiss-style cabins. We had the “potence” for dinner. Great Hosts. William, His father the Chef and Marie-Christine. Thanks for the tip Bill….That night we made the decision to sleep back in Roberval on the Thursday night and back track to Maniwaki via Parent due to the mild temperature.

Day 5- February 15 Scooby Raid- Alma via the monts-Valin. 185 miles.

It was the day to see the peaks in the mountains. Woke up it was snowing. Ceiling was very low so not the best for sightseeing. Took 484 to onatchiway relay. Got gas there. Then 4?? til 267 then 93 to la chapelle where we had lunch. Past onatchiway relay it was foggy as hell up in altitude. From la chapelle we took 262, 264 til 328. Overall trails were in good shape in the mountains except 264 which was 6/10. Temperature was mild also.

328 was in good shape as well til 93 jct. Then we took 93 again for the 3rd day in a row and again 93 in the st-honoré area was bumpy where the trail runs next to atv trail. Not sure if the groomer operator has something to do with it. Any how we haven’t been able to see the peaks due to lack of time and poor visibility. That day we stayed at the motel Universelle in Alma. Snow was melting. BTW quite a challenge to get to the motel.

Day 6- February 16 Alma-Roberval 66 miles.

Wow!!!!!!! 66 miles. How come??? Because we simply hate to ride when it is melting outside and trails are too soft and knew we were staying in Roberval. Left Alma at 10:45 a.m. It felt like spring outside. Took TQ 23, R383 then TQ83 and R373 to Roberval. Trails were relatively in good shape but very soft.Not much snow around Metabetchouan with lots of bare spots. If the monts-valins has its own micro-climate we can say the samething about the south side of lac st-jean. Back in the bush past Chambord trail was very good but very soft. We got to the manoir Roberval at 2:30 p.m. and decided to order some beer

Day 7-February 17 Roberval- Parent

It was a little bit cooler.Talked to a guy outside prior to leave.They were from Massachussets. They weren’t aware of QuébecRider.com but knew about Saguenay Bill.They were heading to ride the northern side of the lake.

Surprisingly TQ 83 west was in good shape. No wonder cause we past the groomer about 5 miles from the bridge (trenche river).Wet snow was falling and sticking to our shield. Trail was soft but no moguls til the 22. Again 22 to Wemo was in good shape as well. We went thru some heavy snowsqualls but it was fun. Much better then rain.

Day 8- February18 Parent - Maniwaki.

Our last day. We left Parent at 8:30 a.m. Temp was minus 5. 83 was in good shape til TQ 13 jct. Lots of snowdust behind the sleds. Trail was getting more soft as we were heading south . TQ 13 was bumpy in curves til mitchinamecus reservoir. South of the reservoir it was freshly groomed but due to mild temps trail couldn’t harden up enough and sleds were pulling. Between Parent and Ste-anne du lac we probably met no less than 50 sleds heading north. Lots of traffic and almost dangerous at some point. In Ste-anne du lac at the gas station temp was 0 celcius. We headed back to Baskatong. Trail was in good shape but still very soft. Mont-Laurier territory was 5/10 on R322. On the western side of Baskatong, R322 was in very bad shape.4/10. TQ13/63 to Maniwaki was in good shape but soft. It is starting to get thin in some spot around Maniwaki due to mild weather and it is supposed to get mild again this week. What a ***** winter.

Overall my brother MFD was showing 1412 miles. No mechanical breakdown but two sleds with noisy alternator bearing including mine.had it removed today. My younger brother has the same sled as me and he had to changed the bearing on his last year. These 4 stroke Polaris are heavy sleds and not really designed to ride on soft trails cause believe me you are working your ass off under these conditions. From all the sleds we saw during our trip, BRP comes first,followed by Yamaha,Arctic-Cat and Polaris.

Waiting for the pics which I will post some later…………

Edited by Mid Range

Mid Range,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your brothers. I have always enjoyed reading your reports.

I agree TQ93 Bumpy as hell in St-Honoré area. Scooby Raid is a nice place to eat with friendly hosts. The weather was crazy with -30 to +2.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Jim

Nice report Jack! I hear ya on the warm weather. If I'm snowmobiling, I want it cold, not warm!!!!

Where is Le gite in Parent?

We have another trip planned next week, probably heading to the Gaspe.

MidRange, Nice report. We were up there the week previous, it was much colder although not cold enough at times.

Just for referance I agree 100% with your assessment on the Polaris 4 strokes. My sled handles well when it's not soft but i tend to get tired of throwing the beast around on soft trails, although i'm not sure the Yamaha is any less of a chore. My alternator went out on my trip and a great dealer (Pro Performance) got me back running in not time. I had taken mine to my dealer at the end of last year, when it was still under warranty because of the whining alternator and they said it was "normal" which of course we know is simply just "i don't want to deal with it" on their part. Bottom line is once you hear the alternator start to whine (bearing) you've got about a few hundred miles maybe until she fails and then you don't move. Luckily mine died at a gas stop so i could get some help to get it to the dealer.

This is likely my last Polaris although i really like the sled. They need a more refined 4 banger and i'll stick around, otherwise it's Doo for me.

Mid Range,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your brothers. I have always enjoyed reading your reports.

I agree TQ93 Bumpy as hell in St-Honoré area. Scooby Raid is a nice place to eat with friendly hosts. The weather was crazy with -30 to +2.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Jim

Jim,thank you for your comments.It was a pleasure as well to meet you.

Nice report Jack! I hear ya on the warm weather. If I'm snowmobiling, I want it cold, not warm!!!!

Where is Le gite in Parent?

We have another trip planned next week, probably heading to the Gaspe.

Rich...... Le gite in Parent is located about 250 feet from Hotel Central.Right in front of the fire station or/and the post office.He is renting room on a daily,weekly,monthly basis.Mostly rented by outsiders such as millright,Train company,etc.

I think you will be better off up north.Weather is not looking good this week in my neck of the woods.

here's a few pics :drinks:

Unfortunately I don't remember where that bridge is

P1070105.jpg

ScoobyRaid...nice swiss-style cabins

P1070113.jpg

ScoobyRaid

P1070112.jpg

P1070149.jpg

Near JB Scott on TQ 13

P1070154.jpg

Foggy Day in the Monts-valins

P1070159.jpg

Monts-Valins

P1070160.jpg

Roberval...too mild for sledding.

P1070167.jpg

TQ 83 between Roberval and Relay 22 near the one lane bridge over trenche river

P1070169.jpg

Le Gite in Parent

P1070171.jpg

MidRange, Nice report. We were up there the week previous, it was much colder although not cold enough at times.

Just for referance I agree 100% with your assessment on the Polaris 4 strokes. My sled handles well when it's not soft but i tend to get tired of throwing the beast around on soft trails, although i'm not sure the Yamaha is any less of a chore. My alternator went out on my trip and a great dealer (Pro Performance) got me back running in not time. I had taken mine to my dealer at the end of last year, when it was still under warranty because of the whining alternator and they said it was "normal" which of course we know is simply just "i don't want to deal with it" on their part. Bottom line is once you hear the alternator start to whine (bearing) you've got about a few hundred miles maybe until she fails and then you don't move. Luckily mine died at a gas stop so i could get some help to get it to the dealer.

This is likely my last Polaris although i really like the sled. They need a more refined 4 banger and i'll stick around, otherwise it's Doo for me.

Gizz.....my alternator bearing started doing this noise in Alma.I rode near 500 miles with that problem.Luckily I made it back home.On another note..we mainly see Doos on trail.As you said...it might be Doo for me as well.I was looking at the 2013 line-up.Nice looking sleds.

Great report Mid Range, very well writen with details and a pleasure to read :good:

thank you very much to share :drinks:

Alain

Thanks Alain......but beleive me you are a great asset to QR with your ride reports.Keep up the good work.

Mid Range, Nice pics. The bridge is on 328 by Saint-David-de-Falardeau.

Thanks Jim..I couldn't figured it out where it was.

MidRange, I have 2 Polaris 4 strokes ( 2010 with 5000 miles and 2011 with 3500 miles ) I haven't had any alternater bearing issues yet. What was the milage on the sleds you are referring to when the problem occurred? On our 2nd trip up to St.Zenon 3 weeks ago, I had a oil leak on the 2011 which was thought to be a crank seal. Had a local mechanic suppossedly fix it ( put in a new crank seal ) Rode 20 miles the next morning to the same problem with the oil leak. Took the sled back to my dealer in the states to discover it was the oil pump seal. With it fixed, we headed back this past week and this time the speedometer has went wacko. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Then on the 2010, a bolt on the inside of the muffler backed itself out into the coolant tank and I lost all the antifreeze. We got some silicone sealant which held and left the cap loose to make it back. These are the first issues we have had with these 4 strokes. I have been riding Polaris's since 1988 and I hate to switch but I don't need a breakdown each trip either. I also like both sleds and will wait to see what they come up with. Please reply.

JimP

You didn't ask me but mine is a 2009 FST Switchback and it had about 5000 miles on it when the bearing on the alternator started to make noise. It got louder until it finally let go at about 6000 miles. That bolt on the muffler is a bad design as well. Mine got too close to the tank and put a hole in it as well. I used epoxy to patch it on the trail and it did such a good job it's still on there, figured it would prevent another hole in the tank. I love my sled for the power, pull, and ride but Polaris really needs to do some work to the design so that these hoses, tanks, etc don't rub so close together.

MidRange, I have 2 Polaris 4 strokes ( 2010 with 5000 miles and 2011 with 3500 miles ) I haven't had any alternater bearing issues yet. What was the milage on the sleds you are referring to when the problem occurred? On our 2nd trip up to St.Zenon 3 weeks ago, I had a oil leak on the 2011 which was thought to be a crank seal. Had a local mechanic suppossedly fix it ( put in a new crank seal ) Rode 20 miles the next morning to the same problem with the oil leak. Took the sled back to my dealer in the states to discover it was the oil pump seal. With it fixed, we headed back this past week and this time the speedometer has went wacko. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Then on the 2010, a bolt on the inside of the muffler backed itself out into the coolant tank and I lost all the antifreeze. We got some silicone sealant which held and left the cap loose to make it back. These are the first issues we have had with these 4 strokes. I have been riding Polaris's since 1988 and I hate to switch but I don't need a breakdown each trip either. I also like both sleds and will wait to see what they come up with. Please reply.

JimP

You didn't ask me but mine is a 2009 FST Switchback and it had about 5000 miles on it when the bearing on the alternator started to make noise. It got louder until it finally let go at about 6000 miles. That bolt on the muffler is a bad design as well. Mine got too close to the tank and put a hole in it as well. I used epoxy to patch it on the trail and it did such a good job it's still on there, figured it would prevent another hole in the tank. I love my sled for the power, pull, and ride but Polaris really needs to do some work to the design so that these hoses, tanks, etc don't rub so close together.

Gizz, Thanks for that info. I'm waiting for Midrange to reply so I can take as much info as I can to my dealer for repairs before something else happens.JimP

JimP

one had bearing issue at 4,500 miles

the other 2 were at 7,500 miles and 10,000 miles

also we did remove the bolt on mufflers cause they were rubbing against the cooling tank as well.These engine are good.It's everything surrounding that you must be careful of.

also we did remove the bolt on mufflers cause they were rubbing against the cooling tank as well.These engine are good.It's everything surrounding that you must be careful of.

Thanks for the reply Midrange. Can you replace just the bearing or do you need to get the complete alternator?

Hi Mid Range,

If I may add, the boost reference line is leaking at the throttle body as well (clutch side). All 3 x FST had a leak there which makes the turbo work harder and you loose HP as well.

As for the alternators, the 2 bearings can be replaced easily for the 2010 MY. As for the 2009 MY it is a bit more challenging. Words of our alternator technician in Maniwaki.

An excellent reference for all FST owners is: www.polarisfiles.com

Edited by guyzoun

• 2 weeks later...

Mid Range, What year sleds with the bearing issues are we talking about? I took my 2010 with 5000 miles on it to the dealer yesterday. You can't hear any alternator noise with the engine running. We took the belt off and it spins very freely with no resistence. However the mechanic felt like there might be a noise starting with one of the bearings by holding a screwdriver on the alternator while it was running and listening through it. He compared it with the 2011 and said the 2010 was definately louder sound coming from the alternator. Polaris doesn't show that you can get just the bearings. They want you to buy the whole alternator for around $400.00. Did you repair yours yourself using aftermarket bearings or have it done at a shop. I don't have a clue as to taking one apart and fixing it. We might be going to the Gaspie in 2 weeks. There aren't many Polaris dealers up there so any advise would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic said to finish out the season and keep an eye on it. But it sounds like once the noise starts, you don't have alot of miles left to correct the problem. Please reply. Thanks, JimP

Mid Range, What year sleds with the bearing issues are we talking about? I took my 2010 with 5000 miles on it to the dealer yesterday. You can't hear any alternator noise with the engine running. We took the belt off and it spins very freely with no resistence. However the mechanic felt like there might be a noise starting with one of the bearings by holding a screwdriver on the alternator while it was running and listening through it. He compared it with the 2011 and said the 2010 was definately louder sound coming from the alternator. Polaris doesn't show that you can get just the bearings. They want you to buy the whole alternator for around $400.00. Did you repair yours yourself using aftermarket bearings or have it done at a shop. I don't have a clue as to taking one apart and fixing it. We might be going to the Gaspie in 2 weeks. There aren't many Polaris dealers up there so any advise would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic said to finish out the season and keep an eye on it. But it sounds like once the noise starts, you don't have alot of miles left to correct the problem. Please reply. Thanks, JimP

I am not MidRange but can help. You can have the pully end bearing replaced at any alternator shop for about $50. Its a common bearing. Most important thing you can do is not run the belt too tight. You should be able to twist the belt 90 deg. with your fingers. If not its too tight.

MY 2009 and 2010.

You don't need a whole new alternator.Just a bearing.We brought ours to a shop and got it repaired for $50 as per Snobeeler said.Mine is working great now!!