Trail Conditions 2012

revct1

See previous post in Lac St Jean section under Trail Conditions.

Monday the 20th we started at Kanawata. The trail up to 83 was still very good. We gassed at Parent and headed on to Clova for lunch. At Clova, we meet 5 guys from New York, Syracuse area. They were also going to stay at Lac Faillon like us. We had just finished eating so we bid farewell and said we would meet them tonight. About 3 hours to Lac Faillon and we were in before dark.

Some of 83 was good but not like last year. It had been groomed but was due for another grooming. Most of the trail is on the old auto road. You can still see the old trail in the woods and the stop signs where the old trail approaches the road.

The New York guys pulled into Lac Faillon not too long after us.

One rental group at Lac Faillon and some other riders from Ontario along with us and the New Yorkers. Lac Faillon was full. I`m glad we make reservations ahead.

The food and staff was great like always. Very accommadating.

Jack & Sandi :)

Today is a short day. We headed out from Lac Faillon to Val d`Or. Out of Lac Faillon, 83 had been recently groomed but was still bumpy in the corners. About halfway to Senneterre the trail improved a lot.

This is much better now. The trails are flat, wide and smooth! :yahoo:

The Forestel is also sold out. Once again I`m glad we made reservations. Two snowmobilers just came into the lobby to get a room and were turned away. The staff here managed to find them a room in a Gite nearby.

Time to go to the Ski-Doo site and see what is new for 2013. We`ll post again.

You are welcome Mid Range. I`m glad you enjoy them.

Today was a day-trip out of the Forestel. We headed north on 309, got on 93 thru Amos, gassed up then continued north on 307 to the restaurant in St Dominique for an early lunch. They have great `soup de pois` (pea soup). After lunch we headed west on a local trail toward Berry and then south to pick up 93. From there we got on 307 south to 83 and then back to the Forestel for the night.

The first 20 miles of 309 this morning was bumpy. Seems to me last time we were on that section it was also bumpy. Once we got to where Club Amos grooms, it was perfect. Club Amos gets the gold star for grooming. In their club we were on green trails, blue trails and yellow trails. Everything was groomed, perfect! :yahoo:

The rest of the day was very good other than around Malartic where it was a little bumpy.

On 83 near Malartic, a couple of sleds heading towards us, one of the riders made a circular hand motion over his head and then signaled to go slow. A couple of miles later was an arrow straight section of trail at least 2 miles long. Half way down the trail were two officiers with sleds parked just far enough off of the trail that you couldn`t see them until they stepped out. We were being good driving about 45 mph thanks to the warning. The police asked for proof of ownership. A little chit chat and we were on our way again. Whew! :rofl:

All in all it was another great day riding. Tomorrow we head north to Chibougamau.

My notes say it is 130 miles from Label sur Quevillon to Chapais. Hopefully the Doos will make it. We have a little extra gas just in case. This afternoon was a test for mileage. We traveled 120 miles before gassing up. Each sled took 30 liters.

My notes say it is 130 miles from Label sur Quevillon to Chapais. Hopefully the Doos will make it. We have a little extra gas just in case. This afternoon was a test for mileage. We traveled 120 miles before gassing up. Each sled took 30 liters.

Thanks Jack.....how trails are holding up in Abitibi?? any melting?? We might go there first weekend of march.Is it thin around towns??

My logbook says +- 135 miles from Quevillon to Chapais.

Cheers

It was just above freezing today but it didn`t affect the trails. There is still plenty of good riding by the looks of things. The roads are bare or wet but the trails are still very good. Keep an eye on the temps for here. If it stays below freezing, there should still be good riding for a while.

Jack

It is 5:30 PM and I wanted to mention, for all of those who have not been to Val d`Or, you will hear bang, bang, bang or pop, pop, pop for about 30 seconds. It is the blasting for the mines. They blast between 5:00 and 6:00 every afternoon and morning. It is quite funny because people who have heard the blasting ignore it and anyone new is looking around to see what is going on! :lol:

It is also a good alarm clock in the morning. :good:

Jack & Sandi

You are welcome Mid Range. I`m glad you enjoy them.

Today was a day-trip out of the Forestel. We headed north on 309, got on 93 thru Amos, gassed up then continued north on 307 to the restaurant in St Dominique for an early lunch. They have great `soup de pois` (pea soup). After lunch we headed west on a local trail toward Berry and then south to pick up 93. From there we got on 307 south to 83 and then back to the Forestel for the night.

The first 20 miles of 309 this morning was bumpy. Seems to me last time we were on that section it was also bumpy. Once we got to where Club Amos grooms, it was perfect. Club Amos gets the gold star for grooming. In their club we were on green trails, blue trails and yellow trails. Everything was groomed, perfect! :yahoo:

The rest of the day was very good other than around Malartic where it was a little bumpy.

On 83 near Malartic, a couple of sleds heading towards us, one of the riders made a circular hand motion over his head and then signaled to go slow. A couple of miles later was an arrow straight section of trail at least 2 miles long. Half way down the trail were two officiers with sleds parked just far enough off of the trail that you couldn`t see them until they stepped out. We were being good driving about 45 mph thanks to the warning. The police asked for proof of ownership. A little chit chat and we were on our way again. Whew! :rofl:

All in all it was another great day riding. Tomorrow we head north to Chibougamau.

Jack we gassed in Desmaraville at the store. Signs on the trail and it is only a few hundred feet off the trail. He has a shed full of cans of gas at a very reasonable price.

Andy

sounds like a great trip your having

u have to show me around there next season iv never ben there :drinks:

55 f here in ct today bikes out :unsure:

Hi Eric & Val,

We would be glad to. It is almost time to start planning for next season.

Jack & Sandi :D

Hi Andy,

We did stop and split 22 liters between the 2 sleds just in case. We probably would have made it but why worry!

For anybody else going that way, the cul de sac is only about 0.5 km then at the road go to the right. I think it was the third building on the right. No sign for gas. Just go inside the store and ask. It was $35 for 22 liters. They probably have almost an hour trip each way to go get gas in a pick up truck.

Jack

On with the trip.

We left Val d`Or and took 313 to Barrute. There we got on 93 and took that up to Chibougamau.

The first part of 313 was a little bumpy. The further north we went the better it got. About 1 mile of it was plowed for logging operations. 93 was wonderful over to the Senneterre junction. Up to Quevillon is one of the nicest trails. It is always well groomed, wide and pretty straight with some slight rollers just for a touch.

Gas and lunch at Quevillon and off to the railroad bed. Miquelon is closed as others have posted. We meet the groomer heading south on his return trip. Yea! :yahoo: It was a little warm, -2C but great.

After the gas stop at Desmaraisville, the trail was not groomed but still very smooth with a few inches of powder on it. Just sit back and cruise. Gas at Chapais and off to Chibougamau. We stay at the Nordic. It is a basic motel. Clean with the Romeo and Juliet reataurant attached. Good food at the restaurant.

We got a good nights sleep with one more day back to Jonquiere.

Jack & Sandi :D

This is our big day. Breakfast is at 6 AM at Romeo and Juliet during the week and 8 AM on weekends. Since it was Friday, we get off to an early start.

We took 93 thru La Doré to Dolbeau then 367 to the little local trail that drops down to 328. From there the local trail to 93 and then another local trail to St Charles and across the river. We got on the reroute for 383 to local trail 7 to 83 and back to the HS, Jonquiere.

Sandi was leading leaving Chibougamau and the trail was fresh groomed. Only one other sled had been before us. Wow! :yahoo: We stopped at Relais du Nord to top off the tanks. A few miles down the trail and we meet the groomer heading north on his return run. Can this be true? We see the groomer two days in a row! Perfect trail all the way to the old logging mill. Just passing on thru. We figure we will have enough gas today. After the logging mill, it wasn`t fresh groomed but it was still very good all the way to La Doré. Gas up, 27 liters for each machine at 120 miles. We went to Relais des Buttes for lunch. The shortcut trail is still closed that crosses the river. We took 93 up and around. 93 is no where near as nice as the old shortcut and local trails.

After Dolbeau we got on 367 which was very good thru Péribonka, St Monique and thru the blueberry fields. The rest of the local trails and 383 were good. As we got into Jonquiere, 83 was a little rough but not terrible.

Once again, in before dark!

Over the six day trip we had alot of great trails. 83 was a little disappointing this year but it was not a bad trail. Last year it was excellant so we were expecting the same for this year. I know we probably hit it before the groomer instead of just after. 93 made up for it this year.

One more day to ride out of the HS before we head back to CT.

Jack & Sandi :p

Your post's are bringing back memories of 09 for me.

It's nice to see great people having a great trip. Thanks for letting us follow along.

Jim & Gemma

Hi Jim,

We`re glad you`re enjoying it. Happy shopping for your new ride for next year.

Jack & Sandi

Jack & Sandi,

Sounds like it was a great trip with good trails.

I also enjoyed reading your posts

I would like to do that someday,been to Chib. but never west.

I'm sure it will happen. see ya in August!

Dean

Hi Dean,

Coldsmoke has voiced an interest in going west also. Maybe we can get a small group together for next season and do a week tour thru Abitibbi.

Thanks for all the reports. I am starting a trip there next sunday.

Snow coverage still looked good especially as you go north. The weather forecast shows temps staying favorable for riding. Enjoy your trip.

Jack & Sandi

All plans set :good:

Are you going with 14Snow?

Hi Dean,

Coldsmoke has voiced an interest in going west also. Maybe we can get a small group together for next season and do a week tour thru Abitibbi.

Sounds great to me.Never to early to plan!

I'm in.

Saw ya made it home safe.Good deal.

Dean

Real nice Jack, i enjoyed reading your posts.

On our trip up there my team mates did not buy gas in Demaraisville but i did, they had 1200 Renegades with 3 gallons on the back and made it into Chapais with the light on and put in 36 litres, i probable could've done it aswell but the grooming stopped at Desmaraisville and the trail was a little fluffy with new snow afterwards, why worry! buy the gas. Aswell we topped off at Relais du Nord and made it to La Dore fine, gas light was on but plenty to spare.

Putting the Gaspe aside, Abitabi is my favorite region to ride in, glad you guys had a successful trip worryfree, see you in the trails next year. JG