Looking for Guidance

timberman

Hi folks:

Myself and 3 other experienced sledders are planning on departing Mont Laurier this coming mid-Monday and heading towards Saguenay-Lac St-Jean with proposed itinerary as follows:

Monday - Mont Laurier to St. Michel-des-Saints

Tuesday - St. Michel-des-Saints to St. Raymond

Wednesday - St. Raymond to Jonquiere

Thursday - Jonquiere to Roberval (with loop through Mt. Valin area if possible)

Friday - Roberval to Parent

Saturday - Parent to Mont Laurier.

I am familiar with the Mont Laurier-Parent-Roberval portion of the trip. However, the rest is all new territory.

So, I am interested in comments about the feasibility of this route, current trail conditions, possible issues about traffic, type of trails we may encounter, possible unforeseen issues about this route, availability of food/fuel, and recommended places to stay each night. Quite a request.. Any information and alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Hi folks:

Myself and 3 other experienced sledders are planning on departing Mont Laurier this coming mid-Monday and heading towards Saguenay-Lac St-Jean with proposed itinerary as follows:

Monday - Mont Laurier to St. Michel-des-Saints

Tuesday - St. Michel-des-Saints to St. Raymond

Wednesday - St. Raymond to Jonquiere

Thursday - Jonquiere to Roberval (with loop through Mt. Valin area if possible)

Friday - Roberval to Parent

Saturday - Parent to Mont Laurier.

I am familiar with the Mont Laurier-Parent-Roberval portion of the trip. However, the rest is all new territory.

So, I am interested in comments about the feasibility of this route, current trail conditions, possible issues about traffic, type of trails we may encounter, possible unforeseen issues about this route, availability of food/fuel, and recommended places to stay each night. Quite a request.. Any information and alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Sounds like a good loop, all fairly in civilization except St Ray to Jonquiere. Fill up in St Ray there is an AC dealer with gas just before 23 North, you can make Le Tape fuel there then Mt Apica, trail runs right thru parking lot, is another 40 Miles North top off good to Jonquiere. 23 North of Mt Apica is one of my personal favorite trails... :)

Jonquiere to Roberval (with loop through Mt. Valin area if possible) This could be a long day as when you get in the Mounts you won't want to rush thru it...But very possible...

Enjoy

Sounds like a good loop, all fairly in civilization except St Ray to Jonquiere. Fill up in St Ray there is an AC dealer with gas just before 23 North, you can make Le Tape fuel there then Mt Apica, trail runs right thru parking lot, is another 40 Miles North top off good to Jonquiere. 23 North of Mt Apica is one of my personal favorite trails... :)

Jonquiere to Roberval (with loop through Mt. Valin area if possible) This could be a long day as when you get in the Mounts you won't want to rush thru it...But very possible...

Enjoy

Thanks Phil. Any recommendations on places to stay in Jonquiere?, St. Raymond?

Thanks Phil. Any recommendations on places to stay in Jonquiere?, St. Raymond?

The Roquemont in St raymond is good with fuel right in the lot. In jonquire the old Holiday Inn which is now the Hotel Sagueny is good and Sagueny Bill is located there, there's a pinned topic on this forum. In Roberval Chateau Roberval is nice with indoor pool. :drinks:

The Roquemont in St raymond is good with fuel right in the lot. In jonquire the old Holiday Inn which is now the Hotel Sagueny is good and Sagueny Bill is located there, there's a pinned topic on this forum. In Roberval Chateau Roberval is nice with indoor pool. :drinks:

Thanks. Will look into the Roquemont. Also wondering about St. Michel-des-Saints accommodations, however that's not really in Lac-St.Jean/Saguenay region.

Would like to meet the real Saguenay Bill. :good:

Thanks. Will look into the Roquemont. Also wondering about St. Michel-des-Saints accommodations, however that's not really in Lac-St.Jean/Saguenay region.

Would like to meet the real Saguenay Bill. :good:

LeCabanon is a secure place in St Michael, Real Masse, LeGlacier are also OK.

The trail maps have food and hotels on the back. We usually call around lunch after estimating how far you will travel that day. Make reservations as low snow has drawn a lot of people to Quebec from all over.

That sounds like a nice trip I have been on all those trails in the past. You may want to consider rerouting your trip a little considering the recent warm up. My dad is at LeCabanon right now and the further north you go the better the trails are. Maybe leave Mt Laurier go north to 83 head east and do you Lac St. Jean thing then return down through Lac Eduoard to Matawin then 360 to St. Zenon then back over to Macaza and up the petit train du nord to Mont Laurier. Or you could backtrack 83 from Roberval and down through Casey on 369 to SMDS and over to Macaza OR on the way north the first day take 83 west to Senneterre then up to Chibougamau down to lac St. Jean then 83 back to Casey,SMDS,Macaza up to Mont Laurier or catch 33 on the way down 369 at Repos and go over to 13 and go south. Just thinking softer snow makes more bumps :drinks:

That sounds like a nice trip I have been on all those trails in the past. You may want to consider rerouting your trip a little considering the recent warm up. My dad is at LeCabanon right now and the further north you go the better the trails are. Maybe leave Mt Laurier go north to 83 head east and do you Lac St. Jean thing then return down through Lac Eduoard to Matawin then 360 to St. Zenon then back over to Macaza and up the petit train du nord to Mont Laurier. Or you could backtrack 83 from Roberval and down through Casey on 369 to SMDS and over to Macaza OR on the way north the first day take 83 west to Senneterre then up to Chibougamau down to lac St. Jean then 83 back to Casey,SMDS,Macaza up to Mont Laurier or catch 33 on the way down 369 at Repos and go over to 13 and go south. Just thinking softer snow makes more bumps :drinks:

This is great information and insight, Viper. Now I have more to consider. :rolleyes:

I think I get the jist of most of your information, except I do not know where LeCabanon is.

I have traced your suggested route through Lack Eduoard/Matwin/Macaz - it looks like a nice route, but just wondering if there is gas available and if the trails and fast. I am not too used to using the green trails, and wonder if they are inferior.

Overall, if I get your info right, the idea is to stay northerly, particularly away from St. Raymond area due to lack of snow and rougher trails. I appreciate this, and definitely don't want extended hours getting beaten senseless by the trails, followed by a beating from my companions for leading them astray. However, I also was looking forward to taking TQ23 up to Jonquiere due to the more mountainous terrain. Hence, I have to decide. Any further comments from anyone would be appreciated.

This is great information and insight, Viper. Now I have more to consider. :rolleyes:

I think I get the jist of most of your information, except I do not know where LeCabanon is.

I have traced your suggested route through Lack Eduoard/Matwin/Macaz - it looks like a nice route, but just wondering if there is gas available and if the trails and fast. I am not too used to using the green trails, and wonder if they are inferior.

Overall, if I get your info right, the idea is to stay northerly, particularly away from St. Raymond area due to lack of snow and rougher trails. I appreciate this, and definitely don't want extended hours getting beaten senseless by the trails, followed by a beating from my companions for leading them astray. However, I also was looking forward to taking TQ23 up to Jonquiere due to the more mountainous terrain. Hence, I have to decide. Any further comments from anyone would be appreciated.

Link ot LeCabanon http://www.aubergelecabanon.com/

Edited by Phil 1

I trying to figure out how to do this one...

How may miles (or kilom) do you do per day?

Wednesday - St. Raymond to Jonquiere, with the nice days we have... id go to directly to Alma (Hotel Universel in town) to get on the other side of the lake... The trails up there are pretty nice when you are not in town.

The Mont Valin project,to Roberval doesn't match... it is two different ends of our region.

Roberval to Parent...Wow! those trails were awesome last time I went over there!!!

Hi Timberman, I think with the snow coming through cover will be good whichever route you take. One of the things I was getting at is traffic, especially in a yearlike this when there is no good snow and hasn't been in NY or PA even most of the big three new england states VT,NH,and ME. If you pay attention on this site a very high % of bag trips start from St. Ray or Shawinigan and the trails take the abuse. By starting in St. Zenon (Le Cabanon) or Mont Laurier you can avoid some of

that plus this time of year if a rain event pops up you are at a better spot to get back to the truck. Without knowing what you ride I will say gas should not be a problem I have done these trps with sleds that only got 90 miles to a tank. Don't fear the regional (green) or local (orange) trails these are usually important trails in their own right and well maintained but alot less travelled. 83 from Parent to Wemotaci this year is alot better than ever as they went onto the summer road in the area of the outfitter Halteparche. If you come up 13 and east on 83 to St. Hedgewich you may have a hard time not ulling the trigger to backtack that on the way back. Also if you don't have a set easterly destination there is a new trail for a couple years now that makes a loop up around the top of the Gouin reservoir going through Obijiwan then down to Clova. As if you didn't have enough to think about :unknw: (this trail would actually bypass Parent kinda making a big loop from Clova north then east then south coming out near Halteparche. No matter what you decide I am sure you guys will have blast. :drinks:

[/quote

The Chateau Roberval double billed my credit card for $1328.00 last week. They were unresponsive when contacted and took 5 days to resolve the problem. Not happy with them at the moment.

Since you are good riders... you could do St-Raymond to Mont VAlin (sleep at Valinouet or at Auberge 31). 420 km

Mont Valin - >Roberval =320km

Here is 2 maps to help... Have fun the trails up here are awesome and we just had new snow!!!

post-108-0-71517800-1330286412_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-95509800-1330286475_thumb.jpg

hope it helps

The Chateau Roberval double billed my credit card for $1328.00 last week. They were unresponsive when contacted and took 5 days to resolve the problem. Not happy with them at the moment.

I would sooner sleep in a snow bank than stay at that place (Chateau Roberval) ever again.