Gouin-Chibougamau 4 to 8 march 2012

towing

Coyote, Rapex, Krikri and I are just back from a nice big sled trip of nearly 2200kms. With starting point St-Zenon, we got north in the Upper Mauricie area through the Gouin Reservoir. We then turned west to Abitibi and took trail # 93 to Chibougamau, back down to the Lac St-Jean, then relay #22 and finally back to our starting point through Casey. Here's a good overview of the route which was similar as Trailblazer's cannonball run.

chibougamau.jpg

This trip was "all dressed", we had encounter quite all weather conditions from bright sun to heavy rain through the cold and snow but nothing to make us loosing our smile. A beautiful trip without mechanical problem with excellent experienced ride partners where we have been spoiled by the conditions of trails that have been exceptionally beautiful on almost the entire route. The only regret ... it goes too fast!

Day # 1

Sunday, March 4,-15C under sunny skies when we left La Glacière in St-Zenon

DSC01901-1.jpg

The trails were freshly groomed and beautiful

DSC01904.jpg

We went through the new bridge on trail # 345 which was reopened after being closed due to flood

DSC01914.jpg

The path to the Repos was very beautiful and covered with a layer of new snow

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

Here during a short break

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

After refueling at the Pourvoirie Repos, we went to Casey on Trail # 369 ...

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

Edited by towing

We then make a refueling at relai de la petite gare in Casey

DSC01980.jpg

we then rode to the junction with Trail # 83 that we took westbound

DSC01983.jpg

We drive up to the local trail going to Barrage Gouin and took it. We met the owner who was at grooming his trails

DSC01990.jpg

It's not a big grooming set-up but it do the job. After talking with the owner and decided to tack to fetch the second local trail to get to the dam (since it was still early), Coyote learns to his cost that it have a little more snow there than in Laval ...

DSC01994.jpg

Fortunately, the owner took pity on us and unhook his drag to bring the limo of Coyote on the trail

DSC01998-1.jpg

So we then come to trail # 83 and took the second local path that led us to the Gouin dam

DSC02007.jpg

The sun was already low but we took a look at the dam before returning us to relax after our first day

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

Day # 2

Coyote had proposed a "shortcut" to go west to reach Clova. Instead of the federated trail, passing on the Gouin reservoir by the local trail. From the owner there, it was possible to be at the Pourvoirie Martin on the other side of Gouin in 2 hours and the trail was marked on the reservoir ... if we had seen this card before saying "off-piste guided tours", not sure that we had tried it two-up with a touring sled

DSC02027.jpg

So it was a start ...

DSC02028.jpg

There were some traces in the beginning but after a few miles we were the first to pass since the last snow

DSC02035.jpg

We are able to ride at very good speed

DSC02048.jpg

The portion on the ice were nice but we must make frequent tips on islands in the woods and those look more of hare trails and were very bumpy. The scenery was beautiful.

DSC02041.jpg

After a long section on land particularly hard for me and krikri at around 10 miles per hours zigzagging in moguls, we finally got to this more open trail.

DSC02045.jpg

But it was not obvious because it lacks signs and we were not having the GPS track of this path. we got lost a couple time after rounding on the wrong side (we know it arriving on the reservoir because there was no marking we passed the point of no return half of our gasoline spent ...

DSC02052.jpg

Stress rose a bit as we rode long without indications on a long island but we finally arrived at the end and the marks were there

DSC02054.jpg

We had just to cross the big snow bank formed by wind

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

And we rode again on the reservoir

DSC02058.jpg

We finally arrive at our first step of this trail, the gas station in the Obijwan village. We had done 100km and it was noon ... shortcut, 2 hrs ... hmm…

DSC02057.jpg

Fortunately, the second step towards the Pourvoirie Martin was almost all on the reservoir, so much faster

DSC02059.jpg

We finally arrived at Martin less than an hour later with this unusual surprise on the trail

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

The lady at pourvoirie Martin was very nice and made us a nice home cooked meal. Knowing that the original plan was to sleep in Senneterre that we were still far away, we were a bit worried about the trail that lead us to Clova to take back the #83. Fortunately, even if there was 6 inches of new snow not groomed above, the trail base was of normal width and had been groomed before the snow. Here, just starting from the outfitter, this long, narrow channel dug deep into the rock of the reservoir

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

So we drove at speed on a cushion of loose snow up Clova

DSC02092.jpg

We then took the # 83 west

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

With a good pace, we were quickly at the balbuzar

DSC02108.jpg

The owner lady then explains us that his fuel tanks are nearly empty (it can’t be replenished, road not plowed in winter) and she prefers to limit her sales of gasoline at a minimum in order to help people who absolutely need.

DSC02109.jpg

We estimated that we could easily make us the next point and continue west on freshly groomed trails

DSC02125.jpg

We fueled up at Lake Faillon and finally arrive at Senneterre around 20: 00 with our day ride in the body but glad

Day # 3

This day had proved to be the reverse of the previous in terms of progress on our trip. Here at our motel in Senneterre

DSC02144.jpg

It was still cold at night and the trails were very hard

DSC02148.jpg

We quickly reached Lebel sur Quevillon and did the full fueling up to the cap because the next gas station is in Chapais 235kms away. Coyote has filled the cans he had brought in anticipation of this stretch and we continued on # 93

DSC02169.jpg

We quickly got over the old railway track, the trail was extremely nice, wide and throttle friendly… here, Rapex thank the good Lord for giving us such beautiful trail

DSC02177.jpg

We had sent Rapex front to grind some powder from the hard as a rock trail with his pinned track but with his warning temp light went on under extended high speed stretch and we preferred to play it conservative, I lowered scratchers and passed forward. It worked fine

DSC02180.jpg

We made a stop at the single pit stop between Lebel and Chapais to the convenience store in Desmaraisville

DSC02188.jpg

We took a quick snacks dinner when talking with the friendly owner. She also sells gasoline in 5 gallons to help snowmobilers but we calculate that with these good trail conditions and our reserves we were able to reach Chapais without taking. We therefore continue to Chapais

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

Our calculations did not really took into account the type of trail that would encourage the thumb to sink further expanding our smile but also reducing our autonomy. Also, the trail became much softer on a long stretch before we eventually passed the groomer

DSC02191.jpg

Edited by towing

Seeing our gaz level lowering faster than expected, we then had somewhat limited our enthusiasm to help us making it.... My low fuel light turned on about 45 km before Chapais. Here a big boulevard trail just before town

DSC02206.jpg

Without having dipped into the Coyote’s reserves, my venture had finally cut and did beuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu just before arriving, I saw the gas station ... I stopped on the trail side and was about to open the cap when I realized that the engine was still revving at idle!!!

Stopping had probably sent some fuel forward and the engine has managed to siphon few drops and bubbled up to the gaz station before dying. We all made it but empty or very near it with just one remaining Coyote’s thin 5 liters in backup ... having take some in Desmaraisville would have remove us some stress but at least, I made a real world autonomy test!!!

So we then went to Chibougamau. Here near the trail to the indian reserve Oujé Bougoumou

DSC02209.jpg

We continued on # 93

DSC02210.jpg

To Chibougamau

DSC02215.jpg

Coyote took the opportunity to visit the dealership to do his oil change that was due and after having talked, we decided to retrace our steps to end the day at the reserve Oujé Bougoumou

DSC02216.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

It's a fairly modern town entirely built in the ‘90 years with very unusual architecture

DSC02224.jpg

We toured the village to visit a bit

DSC02225.jpg

And we ate and slept at Capissisit lodge. I’m pretty sure many of you would like this place, they are very friendly and talked english more than french. The only bug for some, no alcohol on the reserve…

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

Day # 4

We expected rain in the day but small amount. We were starting from the reserve

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

Here the gas station

DSC02237.jpg

We took the # 93, pass Chibougamau et went in la Doré direction

DSC02239.jpg

We made a fuel stop at this relay, the barrier of the north

DSC02244.jpg

And went down south-east on the # 93 under threatening skies but it's only a few drops that fell

DSC02254.jpg

And when we arrived at the mill 54 for dinner. The sky had cleared and sun began to shine

DSC02264.jpg

After refueling, we continued on # 93

DSC02266.jpg

Later the #93 was rather sinuous several kms but it becomes more rolling to the south just before La Doré

DSC02275.jpg

We then take the trail near the Lac St-Jean

DSC02283.jpg

Up to ...

DSC02281.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

And took back the # 83 westbound

DSC02292.jpg

The night quickly fell and a beautiful moon accompanied us ...

DSC02296.jpg

we arrived at relay 22 around 19: 00. It's been a long time since I wanted to been there and we have been very well received. We will definitely return ...

DSC02297.jpg

Day # 5

We were knowing that we would not escape to rain 2 days in a row. Mother Nature who had held the day before did not miss us but it was with good humor we pass through. We packed our stock very well and uses poor people rain suit to complement our clothing. Here before leaving the Relay 22

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02318.jpg

The famous 3 door ...

DSC02319.jpg

So we return to the # 83 westbound. It was raining crazy but it was not cold

DSC02332.jpg

Admit we looked good in our chic rain suit… ok ... not pretty but they have proved extremely effective

DSC02326.jpg

We stopped at the Indian village of Wemotaci to refuel but we were disappointed to know that the only gas station in the village was emptied out of gas ... We were a little nervous given the trails conditions not really favorable and warm weather to be able to get to Casey. We have therefore taken the # 83 and then # 369 south

DSC02334.jpg

We finally easily got to la petite Gare in Casey for fueling

DSC02340.jpg

Their kitchen was closed so we took the trail again…

DSC02336.jpg

and with a small rain break we speed up and quickly been at Kanawata to eat

DSC02343.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

And it is well rested with a belly full that we started the last part of our trip. From Kanawata the trail passes few miles on the road and was on washed ice. I not yet had the opportunity to really test my Ice Claw track, I was well served. I am absolutely delighted with the results and I probably won’t ride a snowmobile again without a track like that.

DSC02344.jpg

It's at a good pace that we rode down south

DSC02349.jpg

We stopped at Repos for a last fuel up

DSC02356.jpg

It is under rain and fog that we continued our return

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

Trail # 23 between the Dam and the Cabanon was ruff in the last 10kms where excavator had worked early in the season ... there were several earth spot. Here in the courtyard of the Cabanon

DSC02375.jpg

It's a little past 18:00 under heavy rain that we reached our starting point with near 2200kms on the GPS.

Although it may sound a terrible day, with our improvised rain suit we had only the hands wet and arms a little wet, everything else was dry and warm but more important, everyone remained happy and it is with great humor and saying stupid things that we shared one last meal on the way home by car.

I thank my ride partners, Coyote and Rapex for sharing this beautiful trip with Krikri and me. They are peerless snowmobilers who came well prepared with their experience and good humor that made this memorable trip a success ... thank you guys

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

That looked awesome, Alain. It baffles me how you can take so many awesome pictures while you ride. My group barely allows for a pee break, let alone stopping for pictures. And that's a shame.

We are planning a Gouin run some day and with that detailed report, I can see that the short cut across the reservoir might not be the best ride and that gas issues could come to play. Hope to

see a few more posts from your rides before the season ends. Unfortunately, for many of us, it has already. :(

Edited by Greasemonkey

Grease I think we surmised from a past thread this winter that Krikri is taking pictures at speed while they're riding!

Sad to see such great snow at the beginning of this ride followed by such rain and snirty conditions in a pretty short time (I realize there is a difference in lattitude).

Also noticed it was quite lonely on the trail and at the stops. Man in 06 me and a bud ran almost 400 miles from Hotel Centeal SMDS the weekend of 23 March. Weird winter.

Almost forgot. GREAT REPORT. Thanks again for sharing!

Edited by actionjack

Great report Towing.That's what make QuébecRider such a great site.I rarely post on CMIQ... too much BS.

Winter is over already.I can't beleive one week ago we were up in Abitibi riding these beautiful trails and minus 35 with the windchill. :(

Great report and pics Towing!!! I laughed at your rain suits as we all have done the same! LOL

Andy

Thanks Andy. Yes, those garbages bags are now parts of our bags on every trip like the tye-raps and the duck tape. Take no space and can do a bunch of things :good:

Alain you are the best trail reporter there is. Great trip I want to do the entire Gouin run someday. Thanks

Phil

Thanks Phil. I know that my english is not great but because a picture worth a thousand words and are universal language, with the number of pictures I posted I greatly improve my ratio of good language ;) Thank again

Hi Alain,

WOW awesome report !!!!!! Looks like you had great trip.

CrazySnow.

You bet, a really great trip with good partners :yahoo:

That looked awesome, Alain. It baffles me how you can take so many awesome pictures while you ride. My group barely allows for a pee break, let alone stopping for pictures. And that's a shame.

We are planning a Gouin run some day and with that detailed report, I can see that the short cut across the reservoir might not be the best ride and that gas issues could come to play. Hope to

see a few more posts from your rides before the season ends. Unfortunately, for many of us, it has already. :(

Thanks greasemonkey. As for picture, actionjack is right and krikri took alot while we ride. Also, when we stopped for a pee break in the middle of the wood she just take pics anyway because she can't do the same as boys :p

It also depend of the spirit of the group... Like you mention, stopping to take a pic is for some people a kind of wasted time or when you are not use to, you simply forget or give up to simplify the moment.

For this trip, I had the chance to ride with Coyote, not only a great rider but also the best one photographer on the trail in Quebec and probably more. He take alot of professional grade shots and also a good bunch while riding. He always have his Nikkon hangging on his neck ready to shoot. You will understand now how easy it was with him to take a few minutes stop to take some shots...It's really a way to travel for us

I left you the link of the post of Coyote's pics of this same ride on passionyamaha forum. He begin to put them today and have not finished yet but there are already many of Krikri and me and many great shots...

http://passionyamaha.superforum.fr/t7086-kwey-et-wachiya-chez-eeyou-istchee

Grease I think we surmised from a past thread this winter that Krikri is taking pictures at speed while they're riding!

Sad to see such great snow at the beginning of this ride followed by such rain and snirty conditions in a pretty short time (I realize there is a difference in lattitude).

Also noticed it was quite lonely on the trail and at the stops. Man in 06 me and a bud ran almost 400 miles from Hotel Centeal SMDS the weekend of 23 March. Weird winter.

Almost forgot. GREAT REPORT. Thanks again for sharing!

Thank actiionjack. We had ride saturday and the trails had surprisingly well survived to the thaw. I will try to translate and post my report soon. But seeing the next week forecast, I begin to doubted that they will survive up to the next weekend :( I try to keep optimistic, we will see...

Great report Towing.That's what make QuébecRider such a great site.I rarely post on CMIQ... too much BS.

Winter is over already.I can't beleive one week ago we were up in Abitibi riding these beautiful trails and minus 35 with the windchill. :(

Thanks Mid Range. I have a special link in my heart with the CMIQ because it's the first forum I have been part of in the end of the '90s and I met a bunch of great peoples because of this forum. Many of them no longer posted for the exact same reason you mention but there are still many very good peoples on there and I still met new great one. In the beginning of this forum I had put time to make it grow and been moderator for 3 years too... it's probably why I keep contribute even the general spirit is not what I would like.

When a forum get bigger, it become really hard to control. The forum is the reflect of the people that write on it and from beeing on many forums, I tell you again that Quebec Rider have something special from any others and every body here can be proud of this B) long life to QR :good:

As for the rest of the season, I hope for the best but it not looking good...

Great report and pics. Cheers to Alain and Krikri.

Jack & Sandi

Best report this year! Tx

Tank you very much to you Jack & Sandi and Scranton1

:drinks:

alain

Absolutely great report! We plan to do the Chibugamu loop in 2013. WOW! How things change so quickly. We drove the truck out of the Le Cabanon parking lot 5 days ago, Tuesday 3/6. A ton of snow on the ground and -23F when we left. 5 days later it is down to the dirt!

Even thing look awful thursday, after all froze back and gromers miracle trails were surprisingly good. for my saturday ride I had plan a path that would be the best in case of bad trail conditions but many guys that ride other sections report in CMIQ french forum that they did one of their best ride of the season this weekend, even one that did Cabanon/Mattawin.

unfortunately, it may even finish very fast if the next day forecast happen to be right...

I don't want to stopped so early :nea:

Alain

Excellent report and pictures. Thanks!

Great report Alain as always! I enjoyed your pics especially of the Gouin reservoir track. Too bad the winter is cut short time to start dreaming of next year I guess. :drinks:

Nice trip and pics towing, you guys really take alot of pictures and take alot of your time to post them for everyone to view. Thanks for your efforts and sharing they are well appreciated and many will use your information for futur trips. A big thumbs up :good: to you doubling up on a big trip like that. :drinks: