2013 Trip planning

schooter

I know its early but, I needed something to think about and plan that is fun

Last year Farmerold planted the seed about

Start Quebec City run Trail # 3 to the end - Baie Johan Beetz,.

Then to Godbout across the ferry to Matane then down to Quebec City to finish a loop.

I'm looking for recommendations of locations to stay along the way with ~ 250 miles each days

I'm planning for 7 days on the sled, that will give us some flexibility

Currenlty thinking that we will launch from Quebec City area travel north via trail # 3.

We have been to up to Baire Comeau and have some feel of the trails to there, but not sure of the trails north of there or any special issues witht he Ferry crossings at Godbout or Baire Comeau ( I have seen that the ferry decision will depend on the day of the week and the time we can get there.

Your thoughs of Must sees and areas to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thank you

Schooter

Did a similar run in 2008. That season after say 50 miles past Sept Isles the trail was not well marked and got very sketchy. (could be just the year but there was a ton of snow that was not an issue) we bailed after the trail got Questionable and returned to Sept Isles.

On the way up we did stay in a very old motel in Godbout(not sure if its open any more) not much in Godbout at all. There was a gas that also had a little cafe to eat and it was right across from small motel.

Next day we made the run to Sept Isles and beyond 50 miles. Turned back. Stayed in Sept Isles then ran to Godbout next Am for Ferry, all depends on trail and ferry Schedule.

All the way to Sept Isles is real nice trail and Gaspe like views of River. After that is a crap shoot.

For us we did like nine days if I remember right and went over to Matane then out to Murdochville where is snowed on us like crazy making things kind of interesting to say the least. We bactracked to cross eventually at Trois Riveres by trailer over river and home to Shawinigan.

For you seven days is no problem however 250 a day will limit your progress, for example, mileage is approximate. But close.

Day 1 Quebec City to say Les Escoumins about 230 miles give or take. Forrestville is next but probably another 80 miles at least.

Day 2 Les Escoumins to Baie Comeau is a short one 180 miles just approximately Sept isles is another 175-180 miles.

So one is too close the other is a big day.

Could probably go Quebec to Forrestville for a long first day but those first days out can be great or not so great. And do you want to go right out of the gate with a 300 mile plus day. It would make Sept isle reachable day 2 though i believe.

Just my 2 cents for your edification.

For the Ferry need to check schedule for sure not an every day run from Godbout to Matane.

Very doable and a nice run the ferry is way cool and long its no tadoussac ferry. Funny to see all the truckers run to the bar once the trucks are parked on board. Very memorable trip.

Making the end of TQ 3 is on the must Do List.

Bonne Chance sounds like a good run.

I believe the "end" is a tad bit further than the end of TQ3 - LOL

https://maps.google....da&z=11&iwloc=A

http://www.quebecmar...a-route-blanche

Its on the radar! looks like quite an adventure, I think we all need new sleds to conquer that one!

Lot of good info there Moose, the white road leading into Blanc Sablon certainly is a interesting trek, however, what got my attention is the offtrail link from Port Cartier to Fermont, this has been a long time dream of mine, i will need to brush up on my GPS skills and offtrail riding before living the dream.

JG

Did a similar run in 2008. That season after say 50 miles past Sept Isles the trail was not well marked and got very sketchy. (could be just the year but there was a ton of snow that was not an issue) we bailed after the trail got Questionable and returned to Sept Isles.

On the way up we did stay in a very old motel in Godbout(not sure if its open any more) not much in Godbout at all. There was a gas that also had a little cafe to eat and it was right across from small motel.

Next day we made the run to Sept Isles and beyond 50 miles. Turned back. Stayed in Sept Isles then ran to Godbout next Am for Ferry, all depends on trail and ferry Schedule.

All the way to Sept Isles is real nice trail and Gaspe like views of River. After that is a crap shoot.

For us we did like nine days if I remember right and went over to Matane then out to Murdochville where is snowed on us like crazy making things kind of interesting to say the least. We bactracked to cross eventually at Trois Riveres by trailer over river and home to Shawinigan.

For you seven days is no problem however 250 a day will limit your progress, for example, mileage is approximate. But close.

Day 1 Quebec City to say Les Escoumins about 230 miles give or take. Forrestville is next but probably another 80 miles at least.

Day 2 Les Escoumins to Baie Comeau is a short one 180 miles just approximately Sept isles is another 175-180 miles.

So one is too close the other is a big day.

Could probably go Quebec to Forrestville for a long first day but those first days out can be great or not so great. And do you want to go right out of the gate with a 300 mile plus day. It would make Sept isle reachable day 2 though i believe.

Just my 2 cents for your edification.

For the Ferry need to check schedule for sure not an every day run from Godbout to Matane.

Very doable and a nice run the ferry is way cool and long its no tadoussac ferry. Funny to see all the truckers run to the bar once the trucks are parked on board. Very memorable trip.

Making the end of TQ 3 is on the must Do List.

Bonne Chance sounds like a good run.

I did this run a few times with friend in Pa and my wife. The above is the gist I did stay in forest ville three times. Two of them was when we ran Labrador Like stated check the ferry schedule I made that mistake once. Last time I left from st Raymond.

Schooter

Last year 182Ray, farmerold and myself rode from Jonquiere to Forestville, 240 miles, took the nonFCMQ trail from Mont Valin to Les Escoumins. Next day we rode from Forestville to Port Cartier, 240 miles. Next day we rode back to Godbout to catch the 11AM ferry to Matane. Watch closely for gas. About 40 miles from Godbout there is gas, but it was a very small blue sign that was nailed to a tree. on the right hand side of the trail. 182 missed it, farmerold saw it, as he had been to it the week before. We had filled up in Baie Comeau. I believe that is the only gas between Baie Comeau and Port Cartier.

Thank you all for the feedback,

Any recommendations for Hotels to stay at or stay away from north of Forestville?

Is there any limitation on gas, or with operating hours of the gas station?

Assuming that there is enough snow , Is there any part of the trail north of Sept Isle that is Slow ?

I was assuming that we would stay south of Baie Johan Beetz ~ 100 miles or so depending on the speed of that part of the trail .

Schooter

Thank you all for the feedback,

Any recommendations for Hotels to stay at or stay away from north of Forestville?

Is there any limitation on gas, or with operating hours of the gas station?

Assuming that there is enough snow , Is there any part of the trail north of Sept Isle that is Slow ?

I was assuming that we would stay south of Baie Johan Beetz ~ 100 miles or so depending on the speed of that part of the trail .

Schooter

We stayed at the Danube Bleu in Forestville, and the rode to Port Cartier and stayed at the Hotel-Motel Le Chateau 418-766-3444. That was 240 miles from forestville. In the past I've also stayed at the Comfort Inn in Sept Iles. Never went beyond Sept Iles, as I like groomed trail riding. The Le Chateau did not have a restrauant but we had food deliver from a nearby restrauant, which was very good. They do have a bar.

• 1 month later...

Hi Schooter,

We went as far as Havre St Pierre one year. As previously stated, after Sept Iles, the trail is not marked the way we are accustomed to. The trail markings were small pieces of ribbon tied to branches or branches just stuck in the snow. There is a hotel in Havre St Pierre that wasn't bad. I don't remember the mileage but it was under 200 miles from Sept Iles to Havre St Pierre.

One caveat is you are still in the same time zone but are heading far east. The sun sets early. You may not want to be looking for little pieces of ribbon tied to branches after dark.

Happy Trails to you.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack

Thank you for the extra detail on the trail marking or limitations.

Looks like the daylight in Sept-Isle arrives ~ 20 minutes earlier and shorter then in Jonquiere.

Based on map sourcing (with 2012 trails loaded) it is about 165 miles from Sept Isle to Hotel Du Havre.

I have spent sometime over the last several weeks putting together a spread-sheet with information (Name, Phone, Coordinates, Web) for Hotels, Fuel, Repair and Ferry.

This is to enable us to understand our options and adjust on the trial. Looks like one of the biggest coordination items will be meeting the Ferry at Godbout. If we leave from Quebec City looks like this would be on Day 5, with good conditions. Looks like if you miss the Ferry you are out of luck for a minimum of 24 hours, and with no Ferry on Thursday and Sunday.

Utilizing information provided by individuals on the forum along with maps and internet tools I have become more familiar with the areas that I have never been too.(better educated) Some of my friends think I’m a little anal about all the planning, I believe it is one element to ensure you have a good trip. It’s also a good distraction to some of the other things you need to do in life.

Sledding is always an adventure!

it gives us something to Think about, Look forward to, Talk about, Develop additional friendships and Spend $$$$ on vs. some of the other topics.

Thanks to everyone who has provided me with some guidance!

Hoping to hook up with some of you in our travels.

Schooter

Farmerold

Yes thank you I did get that change

http://www.lgdvhr.com/English/Guide_en.html

Last year while riding with Snowfarmer, he had this guide. The new one was just released. It looked great and Snowfarmer said he uses this often.

Linda

Hi Schooter,

Regarding the ferry to and from Matane. We have used it a few times and have left from the Matane side. We haven't had any issues docking on the north side of the river. We have always gone to Baie Comeau.

From your post, it sounds like you are planning to transport from Godbout to Matane.

Other sledders have told me that they have been stuck on the ferry heading into Matane. My understanding is the wind drives the ice into the south shore and the ferry can't get thru. The captain then calls a coast guard cutter to break the ice for the ferry. This can make for a late night.

I have thought about going from Matane on the morning ferry to Godbout and then sledding to Sept Iles. I think the ferry arrives in Godbout late morning and that gives you plenty of time to ride to Sept Iles.

You could also do this in reverse and sleep in Sept Iles, sled during the morning to Godbout and then transport to Matane in the afternoon. The potential problem I see with this is if you have a problem sledding, you may miss the ferry. I prefer to ferry in the morning and then ride in the afternoon.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jack & Sandi

http://www.lgdvhr.co...h/Guide_en.html

Last year while riding with Snowfarmer, he had this guide. The new one was just released. It looked great and Snowfarmer said he uses this often.

Linda

Linda,

Thank you for the link when you open the link does it have information on the price? I could not find one.

I did send them an email to try to get the newest information.

Thank you

Schooter

• 2 weeks later...

Dude! Share the scoop when your info is compiled!...

"I have spent sometime over the last several weeks putting together a spread-sheet with information (Name, Phone, Coordinates, Web) for Hotels, Fuel, Repair and Ferry."

Playhard,

I tried to upload both a spreadsheet file and a GPS file but i'm told that I cannot upload those file types.

Schooter

Playhard,

I tried some addtional options and attached is a PDF version of the spreadsheet. If you or anyone else is interested PM me with your email addresss and I will send you the Excel file.

I trided to do the same with a Mapsource gbd file with waypoints that can be loaded into a GPS , I did not suceed.

So why did I put this together...

I have limited experience with the majority of the lodging locations, since I would still consider myself a NEWBIE to Quebec Sledding. (Disclaimer)

Only in the last 2 years have I started to venture out without being lead by someone with experience in the areas.

But my experiences to date in Quebec have been so positive, that it has given me confidence to expand the areas to explore.

In the spreadsheet I have tried to locate and validate waypoints based on:

• Trail maps
  • FCMC
  • Word of Mouth
  • Mapsource / Google earth

There are other software tools out there like the FCMQ APP, but my thought is that I want a hard copy document with me, you never know about signal or battery power.

I expect that folks will find some errors or have recommendations/additions like:

• Information is outdated (phone, place is not in business any longer

• Places to stay-at or stay away from
  • Things to see like (look outs, the cave, etc)

If anyone wants to provide feedback I can consolidate and repost if there is any interest.

If there is another source of compiled information out there please let me know, I can refer to it or maybe just use it.

One thing about putting the information together it has helped me to become better acquainted with locations and distances between locations. What I’m still finding out is the basic trail quality in the areas that I have not visited.

I’m still in the planning stage of my first trip to Canada for the season looking to do about 7 days of backpack riding. My plans may become completely different depending on the conditions and weather at the time of the trip. That is part of my reasons for gathering all the information is to be able to adjust to the situations.

Hope this helps.

Schooter

Playhard,

Yes I have used that link in the past and have found some good information, but for some reason I get alot of errors or non responses from the web page.and it seems to lock up my computer. It does not seem to like when you select more than one filter.

or maybe just the way I go into the web or the firewall that I need to use.

I did see the fuel location indicated on the (ViaExplor) map for the Coronet and the location for the hotel are different by 15 miles, i do not think that is correct unless there is a 2nd Coronet fuel location that is not by the Hotel.

Lets keep talking up this great sport with alot of great people and places to see

schooter

• 2 weeks later...

Schooter, have been on the north shore a couple times and would say the trails are very good up till Sept Isle. I have not been past there for the same reason most don't it seems to go to hell in a handbasket after that. When I was in Sept Isle about 12 years ago they said the trail got pretty rough after that. It seems to me that the snow is usually pretty thin out there, I sure would like to be out there when it snows and take trail R as far as it goes. If you are planning this trip and not going to cross over to the Gaspe I would suggest leaving from Baie St. Paul. It is a little past Quebec city maybe an hour by car but cuts out some crap and gets you closer to forestville for the first night.