Need help with a trip.

Bill

OK tell me somewhere I might not have been in Quebec!! LOL

Planing an 8 days of riding trip and want to do something new. Have been all over Quebec ( I think ) and was thinking maybe

heading west this year into Ontario unless someone can give me some ideas that I may not have though of in Quebec.

Some back ground, It will be 4 guys and we like to do around 200/250mi a day but have no issues with longer days. One of the guys is getting tired of the same stuff, we have been going up there for over 20 years now. He wants to start from the cabin in VT and head into Maine but after talikng to some people at the sled show from Maine this past weekend it does not sound to good. From what we got from them Northern Maine the trails are not marked out to well and unless you know where you are going it sounds like we will be wasting a lot of time trying to figure things out.(gas, rooms ect) We don't want to ride southern parts because from what we hear its a lot of road crossing and beat trails.

looking for ideas

Thanks

Bill

Planing an 8 days of riding trip and want to do something new. Have been all over Quebec ( I think ) and was thinking maybe

heading west this year into Ontario unless someone can give me some ideas that I may not have though of in Quebec.

Some back ground, It will be 4 guys and we like to do around 200/250mi a day but have no issues with longer days. One of the guys is getting tired of the same stuff, we have been going up there for over 20 years now. He wants to start from the cabin in VT and head into Maine but after talikng to some people at the sled show from Maine this past weekend it does not sound to good. From what we got from them Northern Maine the trails are not marked out to well and unless you know where you are going it sounds like we will be wasting a lot of time trying to figure things out.(gas, rooms ect) We don't want to ride southern parts because from what we hear its a lot of road crossing and beat trails.

looking for ideas

Thanks

Bill

If your leaving from VT. cross the border at Derby and head towards the Gaspe along the maine border, that's great. Go to matane and take the ferry to Godbout and come back along the North shore. You can cross back by shuttle by Quebec City. Just stay away from Sherbrook, there are more stop signs then you could imagine.

If time permits you could head up to valins and then back down through St. Raymond.

Nice trip, not heavily traveled north of Forestville. 1100 miles round trip from Quebec City, and in another 400+ round trip from VT and you have your 8 days. You get to hit the longest suspension bridge too.

If your leaving from VT. cross the border at Derby and head towards the Gaspe along the maine border, that's great. Go to matane and take the ferry to Godbout and come back along the North shore. You can cross back by shuttle by Quebec City. Just stay away from Sherbrook, there are more stop signs then you could imagine.

If time permits you could head up to valins and then back down through St. Raymond.

looking for ideas

Thanks

Bill

Ontario...did you say Ontario? lol

How about heading to North Bay and hooking up! Could do a big loop in Northern Ontario...hit the Sault and cross into the UP if time allows. Or head west from there into the Ontario/Quebec border.

This season will all depend on snow for us here....last year the UP of Michigan wasn't good at all...that's actually a quick trip for me from Sarnia.

The North Bay/Mattawa area underwent some changes to improve that corridor so it should be pretty close to perfect this year! Nice ride to Cochrane from there and a loop down to Sudbury.

Tons of Options!

Linda

http://www.quebecmar...-northern-trail

Looks like it would an adventure, the further you go.

GutZ

Looked into that a year or 2 ago but that year the trail was closed, i think maybe flooded and blown out bridges. Can't rememeber, The down side is one trail in and one trail out, we did go up a ways and it did get tight and someone up that way said it is like that so it would be slow going. If I remember right you drop onto that trail from KM35??

Hi Bill ,

Don't know if you been there yet but the U.P. Michigan is very NICE I've been there four times, the trails are awesome !!! But it"s a hull !!!

If your Interested send me a PM

The U.P. is on the bucket list for sure but not this year. I think like 20 years ago I maped it out and it would be like 1600 mi drive to get there from CT. I will do that for sure though someday.

Want to get adventurous, head West, get in the Mont Laurier, north to Atibbi region, come back adding Reservoir Goiun. 8 day trip easy.

I have been to Mont Laurier but not the Atibbi region, This i need to look into. Reservoir Goiun??? That sounds famillar..... Think I have a packet on that from years back. Seems like I talked to a guy that has a place on the edge of the Reservoir at a sled show.

Ontario...did you say Ontario? lol

How about heading to North Bay and hooking up! Could do a big loop in Northern Ontario...hit the Sault and cross into the UP if time allows. Or head west from there into the Ontario/Quebec border.

This season will all depend on snow for us here....last year the UP of Michigan wasn't good at all...that's actually a quick trip for me from Sarnia.

The North Bay/Mattawa area underwent some changes to improve that corridor so it should be pretty close to perfect this year! Nice ride to Cochrane from there and a loop down to Sudbury.

Tons of Options!

Linda

Someone is gettinmg me maps on this airea :drinks: then I will check it out 8)

THANK YOU ALL!!! Keep the ideas comming my mind is truning LOL the excitment of a new adventure Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Looked into that a year or 2 ago but that year the trail was closed, i think maybe flooded and blown out bridges. Can't rememeber, The down side is one trail in and one trail out, we did go up a ways and it did get tight and someone up that way said it is like that so it would be slow going. If I remember right you drop onto that trail from KM35??

I believe it is open now, there were bridges washed away. But still an adventure.

Gutz

I have been to Mont Laurier but not the Atibbi region, This i need to look into. Reservoir Goiun??? That sounds famillar..... Think I have a packet on that from years back. Seems like I talked to a guy that has a place on the edge of the Reservoir at a sled show.

Bill, you are missing out on some really good riding in this region, i have been there several times and it's always never enough. Here's a suggestion, drive and park at the Auberge Viceroy http://www.aubergeviceroy.com/ in Montpellier just north of Montebello, pending on arrival i would suggest to take a room and begin in the morning should you arrive late or if you arrive around lunch time you could ride out right away because there are two differents ways to get you up to the Parc de La Verendrye from there and they both make for a easy half day of riding,

Option 1 : 43 / 13 into Maniwaki or

Option 2 : 43/ 53 / 63 into Mont Laurier

Either option makes for an easy day of riding, once your in one of those towns head for 63 west to Val'Dor this wil make for a big day of riding so you'll want to get off to an early start.. Once you're in Val'Dor many loops can be decided but one thing for sure you won't be disappointed. For your return trip you could head out of Val'Dor on what the locals call "Rapid Sept" (fast 7) trail 309 south, then 63 to 386 to 43 and the famous 308 trail "Rollaway forest" to the 13.

I've been on all these trails and they all make for good riding.

Good luck

JG

Crossing from Vermont to Quebec you are much better off crossing at Beechers Falls into East Hereford. Trail 55 doesnt get good until you get north of NH. We did the north shore and the Gaspe last year and it was awesome. Hoping to do it this year leaving from Derby Vt and not having to trailer to RDL this year. Heres hoping for snow this winter! :drinks:

Edited by nowa

Crossing from Vermont to Quebec you are much better off crossing at Beechers Falls into East Hereford. Trail 55 doesnt get good until you get north of NH. We did the north shore and the Gaspe last year and it was awesome. Hoping to do it this year leaving from Derby Vt and not having to trailer to RDL this year. Heres hoping for snow this winter! :drinks:

We wanted to ride up from VT last year and do Gaspe but as you know there was crap for snow so we drove to RDL and did 1,500mi all around and up thru the gaspe!! GREAT trip and will for sure be doing that again!!

Someone is gettinmg me maps on this airea :drinks: then I will check it out 8)

THANK YOU ALL!!! Keep the ideas comming my mind is truning LOL the excitment of a new adventure Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi Bill!!

Maps are in the mail! Watch for a box!!

Have fun!

Linda

Hi Bill,

You could try a border loop starting in ottawa, run the ontario side of the border(ofsc "A" trail) all the way north thru pembroke, North Bay,new lisgeard,timmons,cochrane. Then crossover the ont/quebec border into abitibi region then head south thru Val d,or, joncas,maniwaki, upper gatineaus and back to the Ottawa region.

How about you cross into Canada, unload your sleds in Smiths Falls or somewhere safe, I will meet up and we can all ride North and East! Snowfarmer...are you in? We are going to get lots of snow...lets just ride! I doubt I will be able to ride from my door and make it all the way to North Bay without some snowless areas but that's my hope! Then I will head East or North East and keep on going.

Make a few boxes of 'special needs'....Dry clothes and toiletries and have it boxed and ready to go. Call home, check on things and have your wife mail it to your next destination! When you get there, you can put your dirty stuff in it and send it home! Or throw it out and buy new! lol

Oh, I forgot, once in cochrane there is a couple of outfits doing guided tours straight north thru moosenee and continuing on to James/Hudson bays on the Ontario side. It is a couple of days they have an overnight camp somwhere and fuel...apparantly the Abitibi canyons are a true offtrail/mountain experience. You could start farther North and incorporate this leg.

Dont ride your sled across the border at Derby Line, you wont like it.