How busy is Gaspe in February?

wulsock1

So i have heard Feb. is the busy time in Gaspe which is no surprise. I am just curious as to HOW busy are we talking about? Will the trails be packed with sleds, (I find that hard to believe whith the size of the trail system),are the trails going to be in bad shape, is it going to be hard to find rooms for the night. Keep in mind that we are planning to be there form Saturday to Friday so most of our trip is during the week not the weekend.

The loop is a 5 day or 4 depending on how you ride ....usually there are alot of people but you don't really meet tones of them till you get into town....The trail system is keep up the best they can just depends on the snow and base.....the Northern part can get bad if the get a good snow fall....last year it snowed 5 feet in the mountains and closet the trail till a few of us went through...as for the rooms some towns you go to you may want to book..

The trails are only busy when you get near Gaspe or any other big town.Lots of locals use sleds ( gaspesie car ) .And there is usually some roads and local trails .

.Where we are sometimes its days before 2-4 sleds go by .# 5 north shore.We are on the north shore between saint-anne-des-mont and grand valle..in the middle..This is where the big mountains are that you can ride..yes you ride some big stuff on the trail from la cache to murdochville..but you are not aloud to ride off the trail in the park which is most of that trail..On the north shore some sick cliffs you ride along and also lots of riding off trail..Did I mention more snow than anywhere else in gaspesie..Ride till may.In the mountains..the trails closed for 3 days where we are.Rode the roads and it was a blast.Glad we all had mountains for the 5 feet and the 6 + feet at 2500 feet..

Riding on weekdays if possible is a key anywhere. The times i've done gaspe there's just been anough traffic once in a while where it could be helpful if you needed assistance, but riders pretty much always respect staying on their side, unlike around bigger cities where yahoos are out "owning" the trail.

I have been sledding the Gaspesie since 1998, traffic there is nothing compared to areas around Quebec City. Don't let the thoughts of traffic deter you from coming, however like was said above there will be more sleds around the towns. As for booking a room, it is a good practice to book at noon where you want to stay that night.

The biggest problem with the Gaspe in February is TQ5. You won't see much traffic, but the trails will be rough for a good amount, unless you get lucky. The orange trails and green trails are always good, as are all trails in the Matapedia region.

I will only do it in January or in March...

sorry have to disargree on that one sure every now and then u might find a spot or to thats ruff from drifts of a grommer broke down but in no way anything bad with the exception of the tip of the gaspe i dont care what month its bumpy all the time there i for one wont ride there anymore till they straten that out

The biggest problem with the Gaspe in February is TQ5. You won't see much traffic, but the trails will be rough for a good amount, unless you get lucky. The orange trails and green trails are always good, as are all trails in the Matapedia region.

I will only do it in January or in March...

What day do we leave for the March Gaspe trip Gary????? I'm in.

Planning after the 15th can lead to disappointment in the Gaspe, it can be scratchy getting in and out of some towns that late. I also believe and Groomer can correct me if I am wrong, I think grooming usually stops on the 15th of March.

hi smclelan !!

you re not 100% right ...but not wrong !!

getting tougher since a few years to groom til the end of march!!i remember ,early 00.went grooming to ste marguerite on april 5th....that day ,i went sledding with 2 guys from hamilton,ontario......off the trail on the z e c !!.

not too long ago,i was looking at old pics and saw that one year i brought the machine back to albertville on april 16 or the 18th !!....and there was still a lot more snow than last march!!

in 00,april 22...went to faribault camp..there was enough snow to leave from town...but to save gas for sled,left from miles 28 on t l r !!

pics from last season...

first 2 ,scorpionbowl and nh moose on march 10 th...2 miles west of ste marguerite..where the road had been plowed...

third one ,linda + 2 friends....march 16 th at clubhouse...( friday )..she brought her ontario sunshine with her!!!hahaha!!

next 3....(saturday )...( march 17 th )...last official grooming run...st alexandre ...hell started there for the next 4 days..

on the saturday morning ,after my grooming run ,went to meet eddieskidoo + friend !!

then on the 24 th brought the machine back in albertville !!

i rode with linda on the sunday and monday...there was just a bit of dirt on tq 5..almost not !!trail for the lake was still a-1.......but monday afternoon,it was so warm...2' of snow was like ''whipped cream ''...crazy !!

probably lost more than 2 ' of snow in 4 days.....all those fields on the pics were all white when i rode with linda !!

correct me if i m wrong......the 2 years before last season ,met phil and jackstraw + friends somewhere around march 15-16 th..maybe a few days later...did nt check pics !!they were on their way for their annual trip around gaspesie !!

jean-guy :drinks:

Planning after the 15th can lead to disappointment in the Gaspe, it can be scratchy getting in and out of some towns that late. I also believe and Groomer can correct me if I am wrong, I think grooming usually stops on the 15th of March.

Agreed, those who say the end of March are rolling the dice on disappointment. Even if there is a late spring snowfall the temperature aren’t often cold enough for good grooming and the clubs don't seem to be enthusiastic about grooming then anyway.

On the south shore of the Gaspe temperatures are warmer than the north shore in mid March and you can have a +10 C day and road crossings are a mess and there are a few sections which run the sides of roads for short distances which become mud. Getting into towns is not fun when the snow goes. Also the area around Matane is wind blown, so not much snow to begin with, so it doesn’t last long here in the spring.

Another consideration on late March riding, when day time temperatures hit +5C and above the snow goes to corn snow (great stuff if you’re a downhill skier) and not all that fun to ride mountainous areas in corn snow as you spend your time spinning to the top of the hills and the trails fall apart quickly.

I think the best time to go is mid February, up-to and including 1st week of March, and when trails are hard, smooth and cold and will withstand the traffic better. I’ve ridden the Gaspe many times and if I see 50 sleds in a day, that’s a big day.

Yes Grooomer it was third week of March we got lucky there was plenty of groomed trails and a bunch of fresh snow in the mountains. March 25th was the last day of riding...Hope we see another year like that this March...

And this guy... :drinks:

Edited by Phil 1

We try to go as late in March as possible for our annual Gaspe trip. Last year I couldn't make it till the last week in March, missed it by a week, due to that huge meltdown. Thes OPics where from a few years ago Easter weekend. We had to ride the highway from Mt Joli to almost Rimouski due to too much snow. The highway was closed for 2 days. We wanted to call in a chopper to airlift that Yamaha Attack stuck in the windblown snow.LOL

Yes Grooomer it was third week of March we got lucky there was plenty of groomed trails and a bunch of fresh snow in the mountains. March 25th was the last day of riding...Hope we see another year like that this March...

And this guy... :drinks:

Nice hat JG. LOL

Maybe the old-timer in the middle doesn't remember this from March 22, 2009? I forget the guy on the right, I don't think he rides anymore, lol...

IMG_1618.JPG

That was an excellent trip for sure, trails were perfect. I stand corrected.

I believe the guy on the right still rides a very little, he just isn't allowed to ride with the Boys anymore.

phil and jackstraw on third week of mach 2011!!

last run on tq 5 ...april 2 th....2011....at the 90' corner east of ste marguerite !!

bringing back the signage in town...april 19 th !!......2011

brought the machine back in albertville,april 14 th

nice hat steven !!!

jean-guy :drinks:

Well thanks for hijacking my post guys!!!!!!!!!!LOL. Love the pics and its fun to hear about good trips that late in the year. Hopefully I can do the same sometime. I see the pictures of the rock. Where exactly is that. That is #1 on my gotta see list.

The Rock is in Perce right on the tip of the Gaspesie. You can go right down on the wharf where Scorpionbowl, the former sledder and I were standing, on a side hill going into town, or right up to the lookout behind the town. Lots of good places to get pictures. It is a must do when doing the Gaspe.

Well thanks for hijacking my post guys!!!!!!!!!!LOL. Love the pics and its fun to hear about good trips that late in the year. Hopefully I can do the same sometime. I see the pictures of the rock. Where exactly is that. That is #1 on my gotta see list.

:drinks: You asked...One thing most of aren't is scared to say what's on our mind... :drinks:

It is a wonderful place to ride whenever you decide to go...Enjoy