Any body buy a SPOT?

182ray

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/513649-spot-gps/page__st__30#entry3854995

There is a thread of info in Dootalk if that helps.

I am sure like anything else, there is something better about to launch but in the meantime....it does what I want as far as I know. Lots of people use it without trouble. Kind of good to have to let others know you are ok if you are out of cell coverage for a while.

Linda

Sorry Guys , Not sure if we are on the same page !! I was talking about the Spot Connect that works with the iPhone. Is that what you got Linda. ? People say they like the old one better, I think it's the Spot 2 ..... I think that's what towing has.

Sorry yes I was referring to the stand alone Spot. I cannot bring myself to get a Spot Connect for my iPhone in part due to spotty reviews last time I looked into it. I'm just planning to rent a sat phone.

If Spot or someone else could create a more robust Sat phone adaptation for cell phones, that would be killer and I would pay for it.

Sorry Guys , Not sure if we are on the same page !! I was talking about the Spot Connect that works with the iPhone. Is that what you got Linda. ? People say they like the old one better, I think it's the Spot 2 ..... I think that's what towing has.

Crazy Snow, I had the original spot, and bought the spot connect this year, I tend to agree with the other reports, imo the original spot was easier to use, just a little more limited in function.

The original spot you just activated the on feature, and track feature from the unit itself, it was more simple to activate.

The spot connect you need to turn the unit on, than go to you iphone or droid (the droid is what I have) blue tooth connect the devices, than go to the track icon and turn this on each time you activate the device, a little bit of a hassle.

The fixed messages are more robust, these dont cost you any air time to send and you can put in a custom message as well as your aware that does cost you air time, this can seem kind of frustrating at first, but does seem to work, you just have to wait up to 20 minutes before is trys its 3 sending attempts, usually the first one goes out ok with in a few minutes however.

It does show you the progress on the phone if you have the patience to watch it. I was sending, waiting for the first message try to be complete and than shutting the phone back down into sleep mode to save the battery in the 0 degree temps we had up there.

Hope this doesn't sound too confusing, it certainly is not as smooth as the first one, but is more versatile

Best regards RR

Thanks for the info RR I appreciate your input I think I'm going to sit on the fence for a while with this one till I ride with somebody who has one so I could see how it works in person. I spent too much money on stuff already this season. Lol.

Im going to have a look at one of these this winter, similar but i think it has more to offer.

http://www.inreachca...reach-overview/

10-4 on the Inreach. Seems to be the real deal........features, size, ease of use. I just wonder how durable it will be and how it will react at -30F.

Thad and I have been using the "original" spot for 4 years now. It may not have all the bells and whistles but is does the job.

Thanks for the info RR I appreciate your input I think I'm going to sit on the fence for a while with this one till I ride with somebody who has one so I could see how it works in person. I spent too much money on stuff already this season. Lol.

Crazysnow,

You can try mine...its the Spot Connect, works great.

Linda

same page, Spot connect, this is my second year, works fine.

I carry it in my bag, I dont' mount it.

Thank you

See Spot run, Run Spot run, Don't mount Spot!

Got it.

David,

You need to ride!!! When is your 1st trip?

Tom

I agree with Tom, though I am getting that way myself...