First ride St-Zenon area pics ride-report 16 dec 2012 before snow storm

towing

Sorry for the delays but here I go !!!

That's it, our season is now started with a 151miles done in the St-Zenon on this last sunday before snow storm. Obviously, the conditions were early season. The trails base was still thin but very hard with the cold over the week-end. it's under a very cloudy sky that we left our usual starting spot at La Glacière in St-Zenon

DSC03709.jpg

As discussed in an other post, the #350 trail between the #23 trail and Koubec can't be open because of recent changes.The Royaume snowmobile club manage to move some trails and create new in Mastigouche reserve. I put here a plan of my own to show actual position of the trails. My ride path is yellow and blue, blue representing moved or new trails currently available and the red crossed out the part which is not.

cartestzenon-1.jpg

From La Glacière to Cabanon, the trail use a new path on around the half of the lenght (see #1 blue path on the map) This new trail path is on existing roads and had acceptable season beginning snow conditions on sunday . It joins the old route farther with good road base trail that was beautiful and fast

DSC03720.jpg

The last miles before the Cabanon that are often sandy can be avoided by passing directly on the road just next to the trail that is not plowed and already groomed by the dozer. We also did the samething north from Cabanon on the section that quit the Mastigouche reserve road and we stayed on the road up to #345/#23 intersection and then kept the #23 trail to try the Mastigouche reserve itself. Snow condition was even better there. We then joined the #3 blue path on the map that we ride northbound. At this point trail was 9.5/10, full winter like condition

DSC03733.jpg

We then took the #345 and head south to go dinner at Le Cabanon

DSC03740.jpg

During my lunch at Le Cabanon I had the chance to talk with Denis Haineault which gave me a little more detail on the trails available. We then fuel-up and took the #23 trail southbound to get #2 blue trail (on my map above)

DSC03746.jpg

So when starting from the Cabanon we ride directly on the road (like we did a.m.) instead of the side trail to avoid the sandy part and at the usual place where the trail crosses the road we just stay on the road which is the trail path. This is there that the #2 blue section begin.

DSC03748.jpg

This is a beautiful trail, wide and fast with good visibility because of the wood trim off on each side of the trail. Winter conditions there too

DSC03751.jpg

Very nice and fast. I saw two rocks and one branch over this entire blue section and I removed them, you will be ok!!

DSC03757.jpg

... to be continued

We ended up on the trail #23 trail that we took westbound, to then ride again the #3 blue section we did in the morning and go in dam direction

DSC03761.jpg

These are the most beautiful sections. Fast and very beautiful

DSC03769.jpg

We then took the #345 trail towards the new bridge over the Mattawin river. We saw immediately that it received more traffic and got some ski kling-klang occasionally and some dirty snow.

DSC03771.jpg

DSC03773.jpg

The trail was slightly modified just before the bridge showing us this new view before arriving

DSC03780.jpg

A new bridge section was built this summer making the bridge 100% operational regardless of the water level of the river and also enabling the dozer to cross it smoothly. A big plus for this area.

DSC03791.jpg

We then joined the #360 trail southbound to return to the dam. It was not yet surfaced, but the road is so beautiful that it ride very well. Here near the Taureau Dam

DSC03810.jpg

the section near the dam up to the #345 was more rocky and a bit rough. We then ride back to La Glaciere on #345/#23 trails. Here is a pic taken in the blue section #1 along a power line

DSC03813.jpg

To conclude, a beautiful start for us!!! Trail bases are ready there, it was already snowing when we left and major amount of snow are previewed for the next days in this area. We already received today (monday 17 dec) around 6 inches of new snow at home near the St-Laurence river and it is still snowing and more than a foot on the forecast for the rest of the week... looks really good

It seems we will have a great powder sledding conditions for next week-end.

:drinks:

Alain

Great Report Alain. Merci.

Great start to the season for sure.

You are welcome Iceman !!! Can't wait to see how much snow we will get over the week... forecast are crazy good...

Alain

Note: I have computer problem right now and i'm out of time to resolve all my issues. Sorry if I don't answer fast or i'm late to post... it should comeback to normal soon... just hoping to arrive at christmas at the same time as others...lolll

Alain-

Great report. We saw you at the Glaciere and wanted to say hi, but you took off before we got around to it. I am actually the Sasquatch looking thing on the right of your first picture!! We basically did the same run but ventured over to Saint Michel. The trail was good, but very rocky on the Saint Michel side. Just a note to anyone venturing out inthe St Zenon area. Trails have been moved, detoured and or closed and the signage was not all up. With more snow and more grooming the trails will be more evident and more signage up. My buddy ended up taking some logging road on the way to the dam and we got spilt up for over an hour. Not a pleasant feeling.. It's snowing like crazy now, It's only going to get better. Alain next time I see you I'll make a point of introducing myself- We crossed each other 3 times on the trails on Sunday- I had the Red Polaris and my buddy had the Black XTX.

Alain-

Great report. We saw you at the Glaciere and wanted to say hi, but you took off before we got around to it. I am actually the Sasquatch looking thing on the right of your first picture!! We basically did the same run but ventured over to Saint Michel. The trail was good, but very rocky on the Saint Michel side. Just a note to anyone venturing out inthe St Zenon area. Trails have been moved, detoured and or closed and the signage was not all up. With more snow and more grooming the trails will be more evident and more signage up. My buddy ended up taking some logging road on the way to the dam and we got spilt up for over an hour. Not a pleasant feeling.. It's snowing like crazy now, It's only going to get better. Alain next time I see you I'll make a point of introducing myself- We crossed each other 3 times on the trails on Sunday- I had the Red Polaris and my buddy had the Black XTX.

That's funny. It does look like you are coming over. Krikri probably said Alain lets go!

Thank you Been waiting for report, I was with you in my mind this weekend... :drinks:

I create some expectation loll!! You were many even on the french forum waiting for trail feed back. Glad you enjoyed the report !

Thanks for the report Alain, your reports are always inviting, can't wait for my first test run of the season in La Launadiere when the snow and groomed trails are the first.

You are welcome trailblazer. Imagine a foot++ over those trails... :rolleyes:

Awesome stuff towing. Thanks again.

Good info and pics Alain,, "top shelf" reporting,,,, thanks.

fuzzy :clapping:

Thank you for another great report!

You are welcome guys, stay tuned for more...

Thanks for the report, my friend Lionel at la Glaciere e mailed me pictures of the snow yesterday and it looked good, glad to have a report, I'm thinking of a trip up in the next couple of days

Post them here if you can, Lionel would certainly agree!!!

Alain-

That's funny. It does look like you are coming over. Krikri probably said Alain lets go!

Ho, too bad we miss you!! your partner easy sledder on CMIQ told me the samething... we were alone and so in an hurry to to ride again that we took-off pretty fast...see you next time! As for the trail, signage will probably improve as the trails open. Maybe printing a sample of the little one I did at the beginning of this report can help...

Alain, great report! Is the gas pump moved at Cabanon? Looks that way in your 6th picture.

Yes Snobeeler, the pump had moved last season. They replace the old one buried in the ground for two external tanks place a bit farther from garage on the other side.

Thank you for taking the time to report,looks better than I thought it would. :clapping:

You are welcome mccaffrey!! and it sureley looks way even better right now!!!

Thanks again guys. Here today's pics from Chersey...

Chertsey-20121218-00163.jpg

Chertsey-20121218-00164.jpg

:drinks:

Alain

Great report Alain! Looks like a good start to the season, hopefully there are no early season warm-ups this year. Have a Happy Holiday and keep the reports coming