6 Day Trip Planned - Need some advice and help?????

snowpromod

Hi All,

We are looking to do a 6 day saddelbag trip in mid January, I understand everything is dependent upon conditions. Below is our purposed route, looking to get some feedback from people who have been in the area - what to see, what to avoid, trails to take and not take, and places to stay or stay away from. . . . any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday – Day 1 – Rabaska Lodge – Senneterre (322-63-386-83) Hotel Recommendation?

Monday – Day 2 – Senneterre – Chibougamau (93) Hotel Recommendation?

Tuesday – Day 3 – Chibougamau – Roberval (93-373) Chalet & Spa Lac St Jean

Wednesday – Day 4 – Roberval – Lac Sacacomie (355-360-23) Hotel Sacacomie

Thursday – Day 5 – Lac Sacacomie – Resivour Gouin (23-345-83-Local) Pourvoirie Barrage Gouin

Friday – Day 6 – Resivour Gouin – Rabaska Lodge (83-13-33-53-322-13)

There will be 5 of us in our group, we are coming up from Ohio!!

Thanks and think snow!!

Chateau Roberval in Roberval.

You could start in Maniwaki depending on conditions, Mid Range will advise on conditions as it gets closer!

Then you could stop at Forestel in Val Dor, Hurricana in Chibugamau

Often at lunch there are places to stay on the place mat. We make reservations for the night at lunch time, sometime the best laid plans need to be changed. Except for Parent we have had generally acceptable lodging using this method.

Often at lunch there are places to stay on the place mat. We make reservations for the night at lunch time, sometime the best laid plans need to be changed. Except for Parent we have had generally acceptable lodging using this method.

For us it is most of the time! We also dont make reservations in advance and just ride, works out better!

A group of 5 will be much better off with plans and reserved beds. When your looking for a room in a town with a hockey tournament going on it sure can get a little tight . We had a stop at Rabaska lodge it sure looked like a great place , but was full up ! Ended up at point David ok place as well.

Hi All,

We are looking to do a 6 day saddelbag trip in mid January, I understand everything is dependent upon conditions. Below is our purposed route, looking to get some feedback from people who have been in the area - what to see, what to avoid, trails to take and not take, and places to stay or stay away from. . . . any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday – Day 1 – Rabaska Lodge – Senneterre (322-63-386-83) Hotel Recommendation?

Thursday – Day 5 – Lac Sacacomie – Resivour Gouin (23-345-83-Local) Pourvoirie Barrage Gouin

Thanks and think snow!!

pourvoirie du lac faillon in Senneterre. Great place, fuel, food, atmosphere

Edited by gizz

Hi Snowpromod.

I, personally, never stayed at Rabaska Lodge but never heard anything negative about the place. The only thing that worries me is if The Baskatong Reservoir will be safe and staked by mid January cause 322 is crossing it. We need sustained cold temps.

Another option as your starting point would be La pointe à David on the western side of Baskatong Reservoir. Again I never stayed there.

Or as mcstar said….you could leave from Maniwaki. I know that Sled Dog has been leaving from Maniwaki for several years on his saddlebag trips to Québec.

Just keep an eye on trail conditions here on QR.

As for places to stay:

Senneterre: We always stayed at Motel Senabi (no restaurant)

There’s another place in Senneterre :

In Chibougamau we always stayed at

They have a heated shelter which is good in Chibougamau as it can get pretty cold up there.

In Roberval we stayed twice at

Here's the website of my snowmobile club

Thanks.

I've done a very similar loop a few times. We usually do st Michel to clova to senneterre to chibigamou to mt valin to jonquiere to lac Eduardo to st Michel. Clova stay at Tamarac - very nice and hospitality is awesome. They like NASCAR and the cooking is great. Senneterre bellavilla has been decent. You need to walk a block or so to get food. Chibougamu Nordic and good dancing bar across the street. Senneterre to chibigamou may be your longest miles but most is on wide railbed 80mph for an hour or so comfortably and safely. You will do 200+ miles faster than you ever have that day... Chibigamou down to duval is nice, but we like playing in powder areas in west and north valin mountains so we always go east at duval. Roberval and that side of lac st jean always seems to be bare with snow cover and farmlands so its not been a favorite area although ive heard chateau roberval is nice if you drive into the city. Go to jonquiere and stay at holiday inn, now new name but was holiday inn for many years. Nice restaurant and bar and spa near by if you need it. Take cab to Jr.s or Jd's....more Quebec dancing at its finest.

Saccommi lodge is absolutely awesome. That is a giant fortress in a valley. Must have spent 10-20 million building the place. The website doesn't do it justice but you will pay a pretty price to be treated like kings...great spa there so make reservations. But have Lways found that they prefer the Nordic skier to the snowmobile crowd, but clearly friendly.

Never stayed at Rabaska but local Quebec friends told us its a great lodge. Echoing comments above. Seems like more of a place you stop at for a night or stay a few days, but they might not appreciate that you dropped your sleds then took off.

Good luck. It's a fun loop.

Hi All,

Thanks and think snow!!

Your starting place is fine off track you wont have any issue with the truck. For the record I leave my trailer at the Rabaska never any issue's. They will do any thing to help you.

Day 2 nordic clean warm and the food wont make you ill. Over on the oter side of the street is a nice place or at least was. ( they get burned down sometimes)

Agreed. We have scripted things in advance in the past, but don't do it anymore. We follow the nice groomed trails for a ~250 mile day. It really sucks to have to ride sub-par trails or have a really long day in -40 temps just to get somewhere for the sake of a reservation. 90% of the time the trails are great, but there have been times when a groomer has been broken, etc., it made for an afternoon of bumps. Not anymore....

Good luck!

We spoke with the Rabaska Lodge and they have been great, no problems with us leaving our truck/trailer there for a week . . . . they can even accommodate us for the two nights we need on two different weekends. Thanks for all the information thus far . . . keep it coming.

X2 Nordic in Chibougamau 418-748-7686 or 1-888-748-6673

Rabaska is Awesome. Great Stop Great People. Top Notch.

Sacacomie is really nice. Just be Advised the sled Parking is not that close to the Hotel. It is a short walk from the parking to the hotel. When you park you will not even see the hotel from the sled parking area.

It is very secure that is not a problem just wanted you to know.

Edited by iceman

Rabaska Lodge first class all the way. My post above was not to say don't have a general idea of the route, just usually easy to get a room at noon. Except of course when there is HOCKEY!!! Damn hockey...

You really have to decide a few things first, number 1 how many miles a day you want to ride, and how adventurous your group is? Do you want to stay in the bush, at outfitters, or only at nice hotels? How many miles between gas stops? Time on and off the sled each day? Any low/rest days in between? Quebec has a ton of options to satisfy everyone, but plan the trip that works for you.

Hi All,

Thanks and think snow!!

I stayed at Motel Senabi a few years ago. You can order in or go to the restaurant. Gas is across the street. Snowmobile is legal on the street in Senneterre.

Senabi.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks and think snow!!

I stayed at Motel Harricanna (nice place) their restaurant was closed. We walked over to Motel Nordic for dinner.

Chibougamau.jpg

http://www.bonjourqu...abi_884356.html

In Senneterre we all stay at the Motel Senabi

With (5) guys ask for the large room, will easily sleep (3) and get a regular room for the other (2).

Kaz

Right Kaz....they have a couple of rooms(not sure how many) with 1 double bed and 2 single beds.

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice by everyone! I too am planning a simaliar route and was looking for places to stay in Senneterre & Chibugamu. I will be looking at some of the places that have been posted here. I also like to reserve ahead as I do not want to be searching for a place to stay the night. I want to know a bed is waiting.