Anyone Live in St. Ephrem, St. Victor, Notre Dam de Pins?

vt_bluyamaha54

For many years we have stayed + ridden from Hotel/Motel Chateau Blanc in St. Ephrem. It has changed ownership a couple times in the last few years and there is also a problem with a trail closure in that area.

I would love to find someone who lives in that area who I could contact for information/conditions. Even someone who frequents the French forums - where sometimes better information comes from - would be very helpful.

Many thanks for any responses.

For many years I have ridden out of the St Fortunat, Vienny, Lac William, St Ephrem, St. Victor, Notre Dam, Beauceville area. It seems like there has been good snow from these places going ENE to St Pamphile, Maine, New Brunswick, Cabano, Squatec and very seldom I have had to call ahead for conditions. I have a friend that lives in St Victor that I can call if it looks questionable.

There have been a few times crossing the river in Notre Dame or St Joseph it has been a little bony but once up on the hill going east it is usually pretty nice riding. One of my favorites is Jackman, Van Buren, Moose Valley, Squatec, Pohenagamook, Lac D'el Est and back. Sooo, I don't live there but I usually keep close track of the weather and conditions. My friends brother who is from the Hartford area has a house in St Victor that has plenty of room for parking the trucks. We often ride together or in a small group.

If you are interested in riding let me know. A lot of the guys from the group have given up riding because of the high cost of gas, trail passes. etc. etc. When I can't ride a few hundred miles a day then I will consider packing it in.

I was thinking of this week-end but my wife talked me out of it! Happy sledding, take care.

Karl

Hi Karl -

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. The C/A site still shows the closure outside Notre Dame-des-Pins so I would like to find out about that. We have been parking at the Beauceville Clubhouse and riding from there the last couple of years but would like to find another place in the area for a long weekend/partial week to be able to stay at.

You + I must have passed eachother because it sounds like we ride to the same spots. I remember when you got stranded with the broken driveshaft on your Apex a few years ago. (We had just checked in in Cabano and Tony told us you were stuck with a broken sled.)What are you riding these days?

Lets keep in contact. Maybe we can meet + ride together.

Just got back from shopping and I have almost enough snow for a trip around the field. If it wasn't for the 2 million seeds in the front of my sled I would do it. I now have a 2011 Yamaha XTX which I actually like very much. It is very close to my Thundercats in the weight, handling and performance departments. Wasn't over-joyed with the hy-fax but once I put the wheels on it and the small wheels up front that problem was solved. I have somewhere between 7 and 8 thousand miles on it, all set to go. I thought the P/S was going to be a gimmick but I like it. Especially after the first few hundred.

It is strange the number of times I have left Beauceville on a week trip, a four day, a three day and a few times just a two day. Probably 40 times in the last 7 or 8 years and you were probably just ahead, just behind or pretty near one way or the other.

I like the sounds of a ride, I am available anytime, to go anywhere and stay as long as I want. My wife hooks up with our granddaughter that lives in Manhattan so she is happy to spend time with her.

Have you heard anything about 548 from Squatec to Cabano being closed? Started down it last year and the half from Squatec was groomed and the half from Cabano wasn't. Tried to find out but no one knew anything.

Hi Karl, how's it going?

First half of the season most of the trails between Squatec and the RR bed were closed first half of the season but eventually opened later. Looked like a massive logging operation caused the problem.

mike

Hi Mike. I am doing well thanks. Glad to hear that 548 opened up. The only time out there last year ended up getting the compass out to get out of there. Made it to the turnaround but after that no way. When that trail marker isn't there, especially at night, and no tracks to follow..........What are you driving now? I did a lot of riding by myself last winter. Everyone was back to work because of the early spring and no money etc, etc. I cruised the entire area from Victo to RDL. I think I took every trail in 3 weeks of riding. Left on a monday afternoon and before I got to the border it was raining and that was the end. Did one trip to Jackman, Millinocket, Van Buren, Fort Kent and back during the three weeks I was there. One of the guys got sick and that wasn't much fun. Is Bill doing the same as usual up north. Have to come up and ride with you guys if he is. Didn't go to the drags in NH this year so I missed him. Take care Mike, maybe I'll see you sometime, Karl

Hi Mike. I am doing well thanks. Glad to hear that 548 opened up. The only time out there last year ended up getting the compass out to get out of there. Made it to the turnaround but after that no way. When that trail marker isn't there, especially at night, and no tracks to follow..........What are you driving now? I did a lot of riding by myself last winter. Everyone was back to work because of the early spring and no money etc, etc. I cruised the entire area from Victo to RDL. I think I took every trail in 3 weeks of riding. Left on a monday afternoon and before I got to the border it was raining and that was the end. Did one trip to Jackman, Millinocket, Van Buren, Fort Kent and back during the three weeks I was there. One of the guys got sick and that wasn't much fun. Is Bill doing the same as usual up north. Have to come up and ride with you guys if he is. Didn't go to the drags in NH this year so I missed him. Take care Mike, maybe I'll see you sometime, Karl

Hi Karl

I am still going to the Saguenay. Plan to go up Jan 10. Missed seeing you at the NH Drags.

Bill

WOW!!!! Actually got a ride home before going up north. Got a foot or more and it made for some great field riding. Almost ran out of gas I was having so much fun. Have to check Greylock out later on! Happy New Year.......