major mess over here

Mid Range

well that major storm on december 21 dropped 14-16 inches of heavy wet snow. The result is most of the trail network is closed as of january 1st 2013. Tons of trees and branches felt down upon the trails. Spent 2 days in a row cleaning up TQ 13/63 from Maniwaki to joseph river which is only 10-12 kms. Club is facing a major challenge. Some trail might not be opened this winter.

100_0043_zps18461d9e.jpg

100_0042_zps3a24311c.jpg

100_0041_zpse3036326.jpg

100_0040_zps498d2df1.jpg

100_0036_zps5954a1ca.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work Midrange I know we all want snow but like the saying goes " sometime you can have to much of a good thing" . I hope all works out for the club and the volunteers. Thanks

Wow- just got the same report from a friend with a cottage on Quinn Lake just off the Joseph River. He said we might have to abandon using my place near Bouchette as base camp for our yearly trip and go further North. Anyway thank you for the all the work keeping these trails in good shape. Wish I could help out but Texas is a long way:)

Wow- just got the same report from a friend with a cottage on Quinn Lake just off the Joseph River. He said we might have to abandon using my place near Bouchette as base camp for our yearly trip and go further North. Anyway thank you for the all the work keeping these trails in good shape. Wish I could help out but Texas is a long way:)

Hi gashog......I see it's your first post so welcome aboard QR . Club will get help from forestry workers and will be focusing on reopening the main trails such as Trans-Québec. Just keep watching trail conditions on the ours blancs website. Snow amount is good enough up in Maniwaki with 2-21/2 feet. Thank you for being a member of Ours Blancs snowmobile club.

How has the trail clearing progressed midrange? We in west Ottawa ( BEAST club) are in the same boat.. club had 40 volunteers out last weekend cutting... every bush trail is the same as your picks. About 12 core volunteers work much of the two weeks over Christmas. The field trails are awesome due to the snow levels.

Was to come to your area this weekend ( Lac Blue Sea ) but the trail status and pending +5 temps.. think I will save my travel time for better conditions. Sorry.. would make the weekend and help but two under 5 @ home .. hard enough to get out locally

How has the trail clearing progressed midrange? We in west Ottawa ( BEAST club) are in the same boat.. club had 40 volunteers out last weekend cutting... every bush trail is the same as your picks. About 12 core volunteers work much of the two weeks over Christmas. The field trails are awesome due to the snow levels.

Was to come to your area this weekend ( Lac Blue Sea ) but the trail status and pending +5 temps.. think I will save my travel time for better conditions. Sorry.. would make the weekend and help but two under 5 @ home .. hard enough to get out locally

Damage is far worst than expected. Brush cutters and chainsaws are not sufficient. Heavy equipments were brought in. We tried last weekend to go towards Mt-Laurier and see how the work was progressing but had to turn back . TQ 13/63 to Mont-Laurier is now open. Like you said, weather looks pretty mild this weekend.

Hi,

How is the clearing going? We are planning a trip from Grand Lac Rond (Roddick lake) taking the 322 through Bouchette to railway and then up North. Any chance the 322 will be open by Feb 2nd? I know selfish of us but we are coming from Ohio and Texas and trying to plan things out- Thanks you

Hi,

How is the clearing going? We are planning a trip from Grand Lac Rond (Roddick lake) taking the 322 through Bouchette to railway and then up North. Any chance the 322 will be open by Feb 2nd? I know selfish of us but we are coming from Ohio and Texas and trying to plan things out- Thanks you

I`ve been told they will groom 322 towards Bouchette this week. Don't know if the groomer will go right up to 31 miles lake. Keep looking at the website. If I get fresh news I will post.

In the wake of that december 21st storm....the whole trail network in the upper gatineau valley was shut down. 5 excavators worked upon the trails for 9 days to clean up the huge mess. Most of our trails are now open and the link between Abitibi-Outaouais and the Laurentians is now open. Cost of operation $ 42,000.00. Club hope to get some financial aid from the government and/or FCMQ.

here's a few more pics plus a video so you can see how bad it was.

dec21st_1_zps7f8f15b9.jpg

dec21st_2_zps158aa831.jpg

dec21st_3_zps6200871c.jpg

Take a look at that vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8hPYVxXoGU

Yes, it is amazing the work they were able to accomplish in a short time under tough conditions. Thank you. Midrange- thank you for the report. It seems all we need to worry out is Bouchette to Roddick lake. If that is closed we can ride the roads. Thank you again.

A huge 'Salute' to all the workers who performed something close to a miracle to reopen these trails.

This would be an ideal job for excavators with brush heads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZAQ3RizvZAQ

That is quite a crusher...They tried different type of machinery...best is excavator with a clamp( sort of thumb) chopping off trees in half from the top.