RDL Trail Report 1/9/13

mikerider

Arrived at dark and went out and did a quick 50 miles. Trails were perfect. Snow depth not very deep, in fact, driving up thru New Brunswick it appeared maybe a foot on the ground. On the trail around RDL appeared to be a foot and a half of snow. Spoke to a group that arrived by sled from Drummondville and said riding was great coming across. mike

Today went east to Rimouski and then headed SW thru Squatec. It had snowed half inch in RDL overnight. Heading east new snow was about 3 inches deep. Twenty five miles either side of Squatec was 6 or 7 inches of new snow. Snow pack south and also east of RDL is quite good once you get several miles away from the hotel. Still those first several miles the trails are fine as long as we don't lose any snow. Did 222 miles total. Came back early as I was getting cold. Left this morning and dressed very lightly as it felt about 40 deg F out. Temp kept falling all day, gusty winds, was quite frigid. Didn't see or feel a bump all day and only met a handful of sleds. Hopefully tomorrow will head west to Montmagny. mike

I would guess less than a foot around RDL,. one and a half to three feet everywhere else. I am not feeling any rocks etc on trail.. Very cold today. Haven't heard recent forecast but someone at bar said we are only expected to get a sprinkle. I'll post what happens.

Last week, Ray, I had lines going thru middle of words and this week lines under words. I hit the picture of what it is doing, but that won't turn it off. I get out of QR and come back later and 'voila'. as they say in Quebec, or God Damn as we say in the US. Now you know why I carry a gun for a living and not make my living on a computer. mike

I'm sure how

Last week, Ray, I had lines going thru middle of words and this week lines under words. I hit the picture of what it is doing, but that won't turn it off. I get out of QR and come back later and 'voila'. as they say in Quebec, or God Damn as we say in the US. Now you know why I carry a gun for a living and not make my living on a computer. mike

I'm not sure how that makes me feel lol

If the symbol is high lighted it's "on"

I would think with all the hours you spend on the computer you be Bill Gates Jr

Thanks Ray, I know when its on, I just can't find the button that shuts it off! Met Roadrunner and NHVIper and crew at the hotel this morning. They had a good ride up from Maine. An honor to meet them. Did 205 miles today, short day, worried about rain which never happened. Got warm though. mike

Mike rider, we had a great ride today as well. The weather report did not sound that good, we had only a few minutes of drizzle. It was great to meet you today, nice reporting on the conditions. You have nailed the description to a T

When we left you, we went south on 85 to 544 to Pohegnamook, 35 west to 526, to 5 west,to55 south forlunch at tourville. Even though the temps were warm, the trails were great with similiar snow cover. With cold temps tuesday, these trails will be fine

After lunch we took 35 west to 551 north to montmagny, than 5 west again to 543 and into Levis for the night. Met the long island New YORK crew several times today and they told us about the Sheraton four points in Levis, nice place for tonight, back to Maine tomorrow

Good snow in Levis area too

Good trails to all TR

Thanks Ray, I know when its on, I just can't find the button that shuts it off! Met Roadrunner and NHVIper and crew at the hotel this morning. They had a good ride up from Maine. An honor to meet them. Did 205 miles today, short day, worried about rain which never happened. Got warm though. mike

Just click on it when it's on that will turn it off

MIke we made it down from Levis back to Maine today, but the trails are taking a beating in the historically lower snow areas of the chaudierres, from the warm temps and traffic this weekend, Many of the trails south of Tetford mines to Amrstrong were down to gravel in the corners. Once the temps turn, they will be passable, but you might want to consider leaving from locations that typically have higher snow levels. The lower levels are going to be boney. RR

Roadrunner, glad you all made it back safely. I need to make a decision tomorrow or soon. When it turns cold I don't know if there is any good snow underneath that the groomers can churn up. Thanks. mike

I know its not the same area, we are in St. Zenon, St Come area...but we had the rain yesterday...woke up this morning to some much colder temps. I think we can ride today....we will have a trail report later. Let's hope the areas east of us hold up as well.

Hi Andy, hi Linda, I didn't go out yesterday (Sunday). But Saturday and Sunday were very warm, and still warm this morning. Not much in the way of rain here over the weekend, just a few showers last night that were off and on for just a short while. RDL seems to have the least amount of snow between Rimouski and Montmagny, with the most being in the middle areas such as Squatec and the RR bed. Roadrunner I believe reported Sunday there were bare spots on corners going south from Levi to Maine. Not even sure I will ride today or move on to another locale with more snow. The last several miles of trails to the hotel on Saturday afternoon had plenty of bare spots, but other trails to the south of the hotel were fine. Cold air arrives tonight to this area. I am guessing that if you are on tour you would get thru the area, but will be very soft today and hard as a brick tomorrow. Wish I could be more specific and upbeat. mike

Hi Guys,

I was unable to go on our trip this week, but my buddies are in the area and sent me the following from their ride yesterday - I will do my best to keep updating this as I get info relayed via email/text!

They rode out of Lac Etchemin - day loop about 165 miles and back to Lac Etchemin. They are planning on riding to or near RDL today 1/14/13 . . . keep you posted as I receive any additional info.

"Trails are rough in towns as expected with temps and thin thru the narrow tree. Trails we rode 55 west to 25 south and brought 75 north to 55 again."

Pics.

photo4_zpsb9e4691b.jpg

photo5_zps9e38a66d.jpg

photo3_zps28ddce13.jpg

photo1_zps48b726a5.jpg

photo2_zps05e54b20.jpg

photo_zps399dff5b.jpg

Edited by snowpromod