Jonquiere to Sept Iles

Saguenay Bill

Today 182ray, farmerold sasconst, JOHN and I rode from Jonquiere to Forestville, 250 miles. Found short cut around Les Escoumins which saved us about 25 miles. Weather was wooly when we left Jonquiere but by the time we got to Sacre Coeur it had stopped snowy and the wind died down. Pushed snow from Sacre Coeur to Forestville. Good day.

The L'Escoumins shortcut Bill...was that the river crossing on top of the hill before going down into town?

No the short cut is just west from the Relais, off the Pelchant-KM 31 trail. There is a sign on some sapplings that say Fosse 53 Fosse 54, the trail is right there and it takes you across the river and about 4 miles later it runs into Trail 3. If you gas up in Sacre Couer, take the short cut, you can make Forestville with ease. If you come down the Pelchant-KM 31 trail you will need to go into Les Escoumins to get gas.

Left Forestville at 7:15 this morning. Got into Port Cartier at 6PM. 240 miles. Had lunch at Tim Horton's in Baie Comeau at 11AM. It was 101 miles at that point with 36 miles being groomed. Then we got on the Trail to Hell, Baie Comeau to Godbout which is up one hill down the next. Very slow go. No grooming, pushing foot of snow all the way to Port Cartier except for about 15 miles that had been groomed. Good day except very tiring fighting to keep the sled on the trail. But better than working.

Bill

Good to hear you report. You must have been busy his las week.

Will be interested to hear if they groom on your way back

Schooter

Left Forestville at 7:15 this morning. Got into Port Cartier at 6PM. 240 miles. Had lunch at Tim Horton's in Baie Comeau at 11AM. It was 101 miles at that point with 36 miles being groomed. Then we got on the Trail to Hell, Baie Comeau to Godbout which is up one hill down the next. Very slow go. No grooming, pushing foot of snow all the way to Port Cartier except for about 15 miles that had been groomed. Good day except very tiring fighting to keep the sled on the trail. But better than working.

Bill, very typical for that part of Quebec, very different than LSJ, Valin, gaspe, some like that type of adventure, some don't. When they have good snow up in Cote Nord always going to be slower going and an adventure for sure, but great wild area up there. pictures would be great!

Too cold for pictures. -20F this morning when we left Port Cartier. Trails in Port Cartier had not been groomed. Two BR 180 setting in a gas station across the street from the hotel. Decided to head back west, We rode 140 miles today. Staying in Baie Comeau tonight. Tomorrow we go to Tadoussac tomorrow. Good day. Had to ride the Trail from Hell again today. Only 92 hills, yes I did count them, from Godbout for 45 miles west.

Too cold for pictures. -20F this morning when we left Port Cartier. Trails in Port Cartier had not been groomed. Two BR 180 setting in a gas station across the street from the hotel. Decided to head back west, We rode 140 miles today. Staying in Baie Comeau tonight. Tomorrow we go to Tadoussac tomorrow. Good day. Had to ride the Trail from Hell again today. Only 92 hills, yes I did count them, from Godbout for 45 miles west.

Rode that section last year, great description, Trail from Hell...92 hills we broke trail the whole way also. I kind of enjoyed it but it is a different type of riding. How about the long tall bridge, very cool structure.

Ride safe.

Rode that section last year, great description, Trail from Hell...92 hills we broke trail the whole way also. I kind of enjoyed it but it is a different type of riding. How about the long tall bridge, very cool structure.

Ride safe.

We hit that trail coming off the ferry in Godbout to Baie Comeau last year third week in Feb. about 4:15 and it was groomed to perfection,

They had us worried on the ferry ,everyone we spoke to describing it as you encountered it.I'm glad it wasn't like that cause my buddys were giving me some bad looks....because...we thought we were taking the ferry to Baie Comeau where our reservation was for the night and didn't know we were going to Godbout til we got talking to the barmaid halfway across the river.It turned out to be the funnest trail we hit that week.....lucky for me.LOL. 4:30 would have been too early to check in for the night anyway.

What a difference a groomer can make!

Today we only rode from Baie Comeau to Forestville, 100 miles. It was -40F this morning. About 20 miles out of Baie Comeau my temp light came on. Stopped and tunnel was full of ice. Cleaned out what we could and rode another 20 miles, same thing. It was this way, stopping every 20 miles and cleaning what we could get to out. Stpped at the Econolodge in Forestville and spoke to the owner of the Econolodge and asked if someone had a heated garage so the ice could melt that was between track and the. heat exchanger. She found a garage for me just down the street. Took it down, he has a snowmobile shop in the back. Left it there at 1:30P and went back down at 4PM. Owner of garage told me there was a huige block of ice between track and heat exchangers. Culprit was the rear shock had failed, letting the suspension drop.

I couldn't ask for more helpful people that the owners of the Econolodge. Great people. Also the owner of shop was just great, If you are near Forestville and have a sled problem it is the Alignment Garage, Mecanique D.A.I, Inc about 150 yards from the Econolodge, other side of the street 15, Route 138 Quest.

below about -25F those stock shocks tend not to behave to well, we've had many failures in the sub -25 and colder with track shocks .... we've had very good success w/ the Zbroz or Custom axis shocks, not cheap but worth every $$ if you're riding in the bush

Today we left Forestville at 7:30AM. About 2 miles from Sacre Couer my engine heat light came on. I had a small iceberg up in the tunnel again. 182ray, sasconst, John and farmerold headed back to the Delta after lunch and I wait for the rollback. Went to Spence's, SD dealer here. He called SD and I talked to a fellow who told me to cut the flap. Tomorrow we'll see what that does for it. Rest of group had beautiful trails back to the Delta. Left Sacre Couer at 11:45 A and was at the Delta at 3:30P

Glad to hear you made it back alright Bill, keep us up to date with the short snow flap how it worked out for ya. I got my parts ordered and received for the drive shaft repair, will post updates in my thread "Gathering run from Montreal".

Any recommendations where to stay in Tadoussac?

Thank You!

We were at the ChantMartin last night

Nothing special but room was clean and warm

With the sled right outside the door

Schooter

Thank you.

Got the website up now... Looks good.

Im just in the midst of planning/booking trip to Saguenay/ cote nord area now.

We rode into the edge of these regions last year and thought they were really good, so we're coming back for more!

I have been one of the lucky ones when riding the trail between Baie Comeau and Godbout. Every time I have rode this trail it has been groomed well, it is by far my favorite 60 miles of trail in PQ. A real roller coaster ride! Thanks for counting Bill, I often wondered how many hills there were! With 33,000km of trail in PQ you have to expect when riding to hit a couple that are due to be groomed, all part of the adventure.

Thank you.

Got the website up now... Looks good.

Im just in the midst of planning/booking trip to Saguenay/ cote nord area now.

We rode into the edge of these regions last year and thought they were really good, so we're coming back for more!

Looking @ Cote Nord myself hopefully. Could post a link to the web site you mentioned. Thanks