Theft near St. Zenon

Jackstraw

Just read on the QC forum on HCS. Guys rented a chalet near Zenon, they stole two trucks a 4place trailer and to boot broke into the chalet and stole all there bags and lap tops ,Ipads. I hope this is not starting up again. it's been a few years since I heard of stuff being stolen. Just a heads up!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my Ontario group this morning.....

Warning!!! WE are currently at the Comfort Inn in Mt. Laurier, QC.....security guard, video cameras and our 2006 Silverardo 4 wheel truck and trailer were stolen! They got the guy on video but all you can see is some guy walking up to the truck, getting in, sitting for about 10 min and then driving out. On the video it shows a cop car going thru the parking lot about 20 min. before the truck was stolen.....pretty nervy thief! On the plus side, hubby hadn't put the sleds in the trailer....so we still have them! Look into putting a shut off valve or taking a main part off your truck when you park!!!!

Just read on the QC forum on HCS. Guys rented a chalet near Zenon, they stole two trucks a 4place trailer and to boot broke into the chalet and stole all there bags and lap tops ,Ipads. I hope this is not starting up again. it's been a few years since I heard of stuff being stolen. Just a heads up!

Yep. That was us. Puts a real damper on things.

From my Ontario group this morning.....

Warning!!! WE are currently at the Comfort Inn in Mt. Laurier, QC.....security guard, video cameras and our 2006 Silverardo 4 wheel truck and trailer were stolen! They got the guy on video but all you can see is some guy walking up to the truck, getting in, sitting for about 10 min and then driving out. On the video it shows a cop car going thru the parking lot about 20 min. before the truck was stolen.....pretty nervy thief! On the plus side, hubby hadn't put the sleds in the trailer....so we still have them! Look into putting a shut off valve or taking a main part off your truck when you park!!!!

Linda sorry to hear of your news. Ours happened very near Auberge du vieux Moulin at which I know your recently stayed.

Linda sorry to hear of your news. Ours happened very near Auberge du vieux Moulin at which I know your recently stayed.

Thanks Jack...not me but a couple from my Ontario Riders Group.

How about we invent something like a steering wheel covered in crazy glue...that way we would eventually get them 'red handed' lol

Oh...my mind is just travelling to places it shouldn't be. Would be fun to go and sit in one of those parking lots though wouldn't it?

I would love to catch one of these Guys. !!! Wipass Time.

Look crazy! both of us at exactly the same time! lol...

I have been riding in Quebec for 25 years and thankfully have not lost anything. I currently have a Chevy Duramax. You can not let your guard down. I have always covered the Vin# on the dash. Anybody with inside access to a dealership can have a key made. They like to steal trucks close to the big port cities, ie Montreal and Quebec because it is easy access to a container to go over seas. From ST. Zenon you can be in Montreal in a hour. I always park the truck nose into the snowbank. I also pull 3 fuses under the hood and under the dash. You need to pull more than the starter relay. To obvious to anybody that knows what they are doing. I have not ridden around ST. Zenon, Thetford Mines, etc. in years because of this. There is better riding in other parts of Quebec. I follow the same procedure with the sleds at night and also run a cable through them. It sucks but that is the way it is.

Well...as I am just trying to book a 4 day trip for my friends that haven't ridden Quebec yet...and was thinking Devils Mountain or St. Zenon...now you have me thinking!

The last thing I need right now....

RMK and UNH hockey...where do you like to go?

Linda

Linda, I follow a very basic rule. The less english speaking people the better. I love Cote Nord, Clova, Parent, Relais 22, Abitibi, Mt. Valin West,Bay James. We bag ride no day trips. Pick a nice Motel off the beaten path, disable the truck and you will be fine. I like to start in Riviere Matawin. Once you get North of Repos you will see no one. We did 1600 miles in the Cote Nord a week ago and passed 3 sleds, also saw a heard of caribou. We like staying in the bush. Windigo, Barrage Guin, Hotel Tamarac etc.

Well...as I am just trying to book a 4 day trip for my friends that haven't ridden Quebec yet...and was thinking Devils Mountain or St. Zenon...now you have me thinking!

The last thing I need right now....

RMK and UNH hockey...where do you like to go?

Linda

In mt laurier Rabaska if in saint Donant area Canadaventure or du lac taureau. I just stay out of town small relays. When I ride in the land of the groomer dude I go to the town of 2 pistols sorry this phone is trying to correct the words so I haveto use slang. Linda When are they trying to go?

Linda, I follow a very basic rule. The less english speaking people the better. I love Cote Nord, Clova, Parent, Relais 22, Abitibi, Mt. Valin West,Bay James. We bag ride no day trips. Pick a nice Motel off the beaten path, disable the truck and you will be fine. I like to start in Riviere Matawin. Once you get North of Repos you will see no one. We did 1600 miles in the Cote Nord a week ago and passed 3 sleds, also saw a heard of caribou. We like staying in the bush. Windigo, Barrage Guin, Hotel Tamarac etc.

Thats what I'm saying in a nut shell put your self out some now or a lot later no easy button imo.

In mt laurier Rabaska if in saint Donant area Canadaventure or du lac taureau. I just stay out of town small relays. When I ride in the land of the groomer dude I go to the town of 2 pistols sorry this phone is trying to correct the words so I haveto use slang. Linda When are they trying to go?

I am leaving on Feb 7th, ride 8,9,10 and head back on the 11th. Taking a couple of guys that I took Val D'or way last year, thought we'd do Devils Mountain and the Chute etc. this time.

I will go to the Groomer Dude beginning of March for some more back country lessons!

Windigo is booked solid btw. Tried that. I sent a big group from Ontario to Mekoos...they have it pretty tied up.

Not sure what to do, really on a fence on this one.

Clova...loved the banjo music! lol

1. Rabaska 819 623 1818 Martin is the owner

2. Club Notawissi 819 623 2525 (off the grid)

3. Club Fonbrune never stayed hear but just down the road from the Rabasks 188 831 2663

You know about mekoos 819 623 2336

I'm doing the nubers off the top of my head so I could be wrong on one.

If you were going one week later we could hook up at the Rabaska Pm me. I thik one fella may jump in the rode with me years ago nice kid but likly I will be alone that week. My wife and kids cant come that time not happy over that.

In addition if you go east more I can come up with more for you

1. Rabaska 819 623 1818 Martin is the owner

2. Club Notawissi 819 623 2525 (off the grid)

3. Club Fonbrune never stayed hear but just down the road from the Rabasks 188 831 2663

You know about mekoos 819 623 2336

I'm doing the nubers off the top of my head so I could be wrong on one.

If you were going one week later we could hook up at the Rabaska Pm me. I thik one fella may jump in the rode with me years ago nice kid but likly I will be alone that week. My wife and kids cant come that time not happy over that.

In addition if you go east more I can come up with more for you

If I don't figure this out soon, I will be one week later lol

Remind me next year not to be so 'helpful' and just ride Ontario for the "free weekend" ....I have passes! lol

Everything is full. But I have some options still. Was trying to do Devils Mountain but might just pull out of that idea.

thanks for your help! I am calling!

Linda

High traffic area ..Means easy access..which is good for us..but good for the BAD APPLES too.rmk is right.The more out of way,the less chance.

.I park my truck at the end of roads .never had a problem.And my friends down here have been doing this for years.Maybe just lucky.But it is out of the way...

This problem is big in Quebec..Cause Quebec is the biggest province for sledding..These people are everywhere.We just have to keep passing on tips so they dont get away with our stuff.And start only using secure places.And tell the ones that dont have it, to do something, or we will not use them..Our money will make them change their minds.If we all do it together.This site can be the first to try and make a difference when it comes to where we stay..Meaning chosing secure places to stay..Just a thought.. jack

2 places recommended in Maniwaki are Auberge du Draveur or Chateau Logue, <100k to devils mountain by sled. But always be safe wherever you park, I've got a diesel truck andcover the VIN, pull relays, and crack the bleed for diesel filter, no way it's moving unless they tow it...

Thing is we are gone 8,910 days. We live in MD. This is our usual one shot a season for the QC experience. Relays, chains what ever. They were in our chalet for a while overnight, the caretaker didn't call us, no one knows is there. If they were tinkering with our shit no one would bother them other than the caretaker who MIGHT have realized it wasn't us with a mechanical problem. I sure miss Bernard. RIP buddy.