Montmagny Area Report 1/28/13

mikerider

I just drove down to the bank and I am sure they got me on live video. Hope they did not recognize me with the ski mask on! It stopped raining mid morning, I don't believe we lost too much snow. But enough rain that the trails will be hard as bricks, and I worry of the fields and streams having slight flooding. Just now a large group of about a dozen sleds in a guided tour just pulled in. All ACE two-ups. I didn't see any of the riders smiling. Saw another similar group near Lac Etchimin yesterday. After the bank visit, went to the sled dealers and window shopped. The Cat shop is really nice for those that haven't been here for a few years, right across from the SkiDoo dealer. The Cat shop also has a couple Polaris signs in the window and one Polaris sled on the floor. Looks like he might have just started up with Polaris. Well, the tour group that just pulled in was not the Dallas cheerleaders, but coming back into the hotel I saw a sign they are having specials on massages today, the sled gas money I did not spend today may just come in handy. mike

Hi Mike,

Looking at the radar animation and forecast, the last big band of the rain is moving across the western part of the province now. The forecast shows the worst of it should be thru Quebec city by 7 PM.

It would be wonderful if a few centimeters of snow fell as the storm pulls away.

Hi Bruce,

We still want to get a few days of riding in but the same with us, we're going to see what the conditions are tomorrow.

Jack

A lot of people are looking forward to "free" week-end - next week feb 8-9-10. Good conditions helps trail pass sales, reliable trail reports helps all. thanks for updates, we'll be checking, to pass info on. strange weather swings!

Hi Phil, thought of you when I walked into the SkiDoo dealer today and they had a TNT 1200 on the showroom floor. That is the sure cure for fixing your 800! It was good meeting you last week at the gathering. Hi Jack, it stopped raining most of the day and started again for a couple hours this evening, now about 6 PM and just a little mist. I keep hearing tomorrow calling for 60 mph wind gusts and just above freezing. Warm wind will certainly shrink the snow. I don't think we lost a lot of snow pack here, but the snow has so much water in it when it gets cold I doubt the groomers can break it up. Plus, even though there is a foot to two feet of snow everywhere, the trails have much less depth from being packed down, and many fields, although completely covered, are thin on snow. I can only best sum up that I loaded the sled on the truck tonight and will probably go home tomorrow, unless I wake up to a miracle. I will give a final report in the morning before I leave, and maybe one tomorrow night after looking at things from the truck on the drive south. My opinion it will take a good snow storm and a few very cold days to return trails to good. mike

Hi Mike:

The only solution for my problem is a new sled. Depending on how the weather turns depends if that is this year or order one in the Spring,. time will tell. It was a pleasure to meet you at The Delta, maybe I will invade one of your lone wolf rides someday. Enjoy reading your reports.

Phil

:drinks:

Hi Mike,

Looking at the radar animation and forecast, the last big band of the rain is moving across the western part of the province now. The forecast shows the worst of it should be thru Quebec city by 7 PM.

It would be wonderful if a few centimeters of snow fell as the storm pulls away.

Hi Bruce,

We still want to get a few days of riding in but the same with us, we're going to see what the conditions are tomorrow.

Jack

I only have first hand (people there and the groomers) of the area between North Bay and east through Mattawa and Stonecliffe, Rolphton...all good!! And more snow tonight and all through the weekend. I know that just north of there....New Liskeard and Cochrane its snowing right now...trails should be good! So across the border, Val D'or and east must be good too.

My group for Mekoos is nervous....anyone have any condition reports for that end of town, I would love to know after the 'weather' goes through. They are going on the 'free' weekend.

Thanks!

Linda

Andy, enjoyed your trip report last week, good job surviving the cold. Curious, which sled needed repairs?

All I will say is it wasn't a Ski-Doo dealer we went to! LOL But on second thought we did go to a Doo dealer during this trip and bought a battery that is under the hood of an unknown Poo!!!

Andy

Say no more Andy, it is what I suspected lol Raining this morning, by the looks of the snowpack in the hotel yard it must have rained all night. Not looking good at all, would say this area is closed til cold and more snow. mike

Hi Jack and Sandi

I am booked to leave Thursday next week....would you mind letting me know how things are when you get up there. Might just re-think my location.

Thanks so much,

Linda

Conditions on my drive south today, and from what I saw when I awoke in Montagny, would suggest this entire area is wiped and won't be rideable for some time. Fields are flooded, rivers overflowing their banks, some areas void of all snow, you name it, its bad. mike

Hi NHSM,

We're still thinking about going up to the Delta but even there it may be too thin to ride out of town. I feel like it is the Christmas to New Years week when we trailer over to Valinuet and then ride the mountain each day.

Jack & Sandi