Looking for a trip - Feb 19th - 5 days and feedback welcome.

Arcticf7ext

Hey Guys,

Looking to do the Peninsula this year. I've done it in the past but bring three newbies on this tour.

I've been watching conditons, weather, and all your posts. The "yellow" trail conditons are starting to scare me a little. We are headed from Ottawa, so about 7 1/2 to 8 hrs to Rimouski. This is our main ride for the year, so I want ot make sure I have as much planned out as possible.

Any suggestions/conditions/special sites or trail tips woudl be great.

I think we want to park in Rinouski if there is enough snow to head out.

along the north shore out to Pierce, then some how back through the center and maybe try to hit the 595 some how.

the last time I missed La Marte and mount Louis due to snow and couldn't see anything. This year I'm hopin to get a true scenic view.

Any tips for this season? Pierce Gas sattion is closed and the La cache is open, correct?

Thanks Ryan.

hi !!

south side right now is kaputt !!

we need a very good storm !!! a foot + !!even a foot ..once packed, not much on trail..i read somewhere that rimouski groomed their trails this week ,but still closed if my memory is still good ....

heard from a friend 6 '' of fresh snow 50 miles west of here ( pente abrupte ) earlier this week .....but it has been very windy this week .

from the french forum ....guy said half an hr of trailering in matane before riding.

don t forget ...access to motels,gas stations restaurants ..etc !!

to continu phil's idea..for the south side ..you have more chances to ride with your lawn mower !!!

jean-guy

The 19th is a ways off yet, there will be snow by then!! For a route, here is my suggestion, it is a big mileage tour:

Rimouski stay on the TQ5 till past Mount Louis, take the 597 past Murdochville, turn off on the local trail that brings you out close to Gaspe, then down to Perce (which has gas Rolands), around the TQ5 to Chandler back N on the 597 to Murdochville, across to La Cache, then north 14 miles to the Carleton Loop trail, take it back down to the TQ5 and then follow the 5 through Pointe a la Croix, up through Groomers club, then the 587N back toward Rimouski.

That will take you through some of the nicest sections of the Gaspesie

Well if there is snow.... I will be in stonecliffe at morning mist on the 18th and hope to head to the gaspesie if at all possible!

I am praying its good! If not might ride west to Sudbury...

Seems they have the snow! Then hit the Gaspesie beginning of March.

At least you're in the right place for honest trail conditions.

Linda

Thanks smclelan and lindasledgirl. That sounds like the exact trip I want to try. I haven't been from La Cache back down that local trail towards Pointe a la croix, that give us a good option for snow/time/breakdown situation in La cache , if we need to we can head back north and back to the truck, or if we are up for it, go back down and through groomers area. That carleton loop trail, what is the gas distance between La cahce and the next stop?is it Point a la croix, or do you have to back track on the 5 a little?

I'm gonna do my best Snow Dance from now until next week...Due to the group and schedules I'll likely have to make the call if this is on or not by next wednesday, so I'm praying for the best.

For now, I'll sit here and cycle through Groomers pictures!

Thanks smclelan and lindasledgirl. That sounds like the exact trip I want to try. I haven't been from La Cache back down that local trail towards Pointe a la croix, that give us a good option for snow/time/breakdown situation in La cache , if we need to we can head back north and back to the truck, or if we are up for it, go back down and through groomers area. That carleton loop trail, what is the gas distance between La cahce and the next stop?is it Point a la croix, or do you have to back track on the 5 a little?

I'm gonna do my best Snow Dance from now until next week...Due to the group and schedules I'll likely have to make the call if this is on or not by next wednesday, so I'm praying for the best.

For now, I'll sit here and cycle through Groomers pictures!

My group is doing the same thing.

Locally here they are calling for 30-50 cm on Saturday( South Shore NS).

I would much prefer it land on TQ5 LOL.

Snow dance is on for us. We were booked into Amqui for tonight but postponed trip till 20th. All are hoping for snow.

1 thing with all the cold weather and no snow coverage all flooding should be dried up/froze solid by then.

They just need some packy snow to groom onto the cement base that is there now.

PS

It is a nice trip out fr Point La Croix. This is normally our starting point in QC . Anyone know if the River is froze safe to cross over fr Campbelton NB?

Edited by EXT

what is the status out that way today? On the trail conditons website, it looks pretty much the same with maybe even more yellow. Did any area catch some of the big storm... they we talkinng 40 cm in Moncton.

The "real time" pics from groomer are really not looking that good. If we park in Matane, hit north shore and back through the middle....I'm wondering if this is even worth it this year. I can't believe the effort it takes to organize this trip with guys, relieable sleds, family schedules, work schdules...and then we run into the obsicle of no snow.

just feeling a little discouraged today.

Its not just the south.We from sainte-anne-des-monts to mont-louis have gotten allot of snow from snow squalls this year.So its total coverage and no hockey ice on the trails.2-3 feet pow pow ( depending where the wind blew it ) in the mountains at 2500.There are spots on the trail that are hard and a little icy, but its just hard snow.Murdochville is suffering with ice..They need snow.The trails got water and then it froze.They are getting some snow today but dont know if its enough to make it very safe on some places near Murdochville.All my pics are from the areas I have told you.My site has pics of conditions and reports...

Mattan is all ice.I ride for a Polaris dealer there and hes crying for snow.Hes commin to my place to ride this monday for 2 days ..Why not just start where the snow is..Sainte-anne-des-monts and down..Pick somewhere down here and then you know you have snow. 2-3 Hours more in the truck and you KNOW you will have snow.What is there really to see untill you get to S.A.D.M.

If you finish your loop early then ride some logging roads and see the backcountry of Gaspesie..You should see what it looks like from 3800 from a sled..

You are making the best loop for veiws in the Gaspesie.Have fun... jack

Edited by quebecmountainrider

Very discouraging this year. We wanted to circle the peninsula for the first time this coming week and we changed our plans to head to the Abitibi.

Slow down there rev39...heres something to cheer you up..Gaspesie might get it..jack

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caqc0336

Fingers crossed.

We (Arcticf7ext) decided to push back to the 25th. Hopefully we arrive to white gold!

Yep you better keep them crossed so that the groomer doesnt brack down...lol...More then 60 cm for gasoe..the loop is going to be tuff.Next week calling for close to 100 cm this week... jack

.http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caqc0176

Yep you better keep them crossed so that the groomer doesnt brack down...

Next week calling for close to 100 cm this week...

Wow, this is insane. Lots of grooming please.

If you do pass us you'll be able to recognize me. I'll be the guy from Ontario on the short track really, really stuck.