Politics in St. Zenon

NSHM

Was at La Glaciere for the weekend.New owner is very nice.

Just found it funny the trails around the cabannon were groomed but not

around La Glaciere.First time since I've been going up there since 1980 that on a

Sunday morning all three trails that go to la Glaciere weren't groomed especially after talking to Dennis a couple times during the weekend and hearing he is running 8 groomers.

Guess he doesn't like compititon. I thought they were all Federation trails??

Maybe the groomer drivers were all tired from grooming around his place.......hhmmm???

As far as i know the la glaciere trails were a differant club , there has been a feud for years , because the le g. club used to groom cabannon trails when Denis first bought the place , but they had problems ,,,comp. and money . so that is why Denis started his own club and it grew like crazy to the size and number of dozers they have.. but la G has been sold 3 or 4 times since then and i do not know who grooms what now.. my 2 cents

I am not sure if he grooms to La Glacier or not. I also am not sure about 8 groomers. He was running 3 Groomers out of Le Cabanon and now he is down to 2. 1 of them siezed an engine on on trail 345 north of the river on 2/10 it may still be sitting there. Trails in that area can get beat up very quickly so on Monday those trails could have been groomed perfect. They do not groom every trail every day. Just my 2cents.

As far as i know the la glaciere trails were a differant club , there has been a feud for years , because the le g. club used to groom cabannon trails when Denis first bought the place , but they had problems ,,,comp. and money . so that is why Denis started his own club and it grew like crazy to the size and number of dozers they have.. but la G has been sold 3 or 4 times since then and i do not know who grooms what now.. my 2 cents

Years ago, there was 3 different snowmobile clubs: St-Michel Club, La Glacière club and Cabanon snowmobile club with their home organization, dozers, wealth and reality giving very uneven trail condition. I remember too NSHM the old times, in my case in the 90's where we got good trail condition in La Glacière trails, outstanding conditions in Cabanon trails and poor bumby trails in St-Michel trails...It was so uneven that the St-Michel club was about to closed, the federation FCMQ have put some pressure and in 2003, the Royaume snowmobile club borned from the merge of the 3 clubs.

From there up to now, there is only one snowmobile club with one organization that groom St-Michel des Saints and St-Zénon area. The 8 dozers would be the total they have and they are not all at the Cabanon, they have some near L'auberge du Vieux Moulin on the south side and others on the north side to groom around the Taureau reservoir and norther. I'm not sure but I think Denis is still the president of this club now

The grooming may be not exactly the same all around territory all the time but IMO it is nice the way it is managed right now...At least what I have seen throught the last seasons was right. Any possible comparison at how poor it was just before they founded the Royaume club. As other clubs it is not perfect but I raise my hat to this organisation that deliver results: Starting in the first in Quebec and closing as far as they can, grooming more than any other club I am aware of.

my 2 cents

Alain

When we were gasing up at the Cabanon last Wednesday(Denis was fueling sleds) he told us he manages the club and it's groomers. He said he has 8 groomers to manage and 2 are in St.Zenon, 1 in SMdS another on the other side of the dam and 4 at the Cabanon.

Just what he said

JG

2 years in a row I have left from near La Glaciere on a Sunday. Both times it was rough around La Glaciere and smooth around Cabanon. Vieux Moulins trail always seems perfect. I just assumed their sons only groom out to 63 and then go back to the Auberge.

When we were gasing up at the Cabanon last Wednesday(Denis was fueling sleds) he told us he manages the club and it's groomers. He said he has 8 groomers to manage and 2 are in St.Zenon, 1 in SMdS another on the other side of the dam and 4 at the Cabanon.

Just what he said

JG

Thats the story we got from him too.Times have sure changed for him...seeing him pumping gas and cutting roast beef

on Saturday night.

Just saying that since it is now one club it would seem prudent to have the whole town of Saint Zenon groomed ....Especially on a Sunday morning when so many are starting their journey from there.Not a good first impression to start your trip IMO.

Saint Come had been groomed when we got to their trails that morning.

When an area isn't groomed people tend to not start from there and eat at the restaurant or buy gas or stay there.......hhhmmmm???

Probably just a coincidence.....just my 2 cents

lots has changed over the years , good idea to merge all the clubs so all the trails get done. Does anyone remember the cabannon when Denis first started ,please post some pics. first the bar , then the rooms. I used to stay there quite a bit back then. He shure has built it up quite a bit...

There were no digital cameras back then (lol)when Gaston owned it.It before Dennis. It used to be a full day trip

to go thru the park to Koubecs and back...stopping at all the warming huts..no shortcuts then. Or go around the lake to the Pappion and lac of the pines and pied de la chute and then the central and the sawmill.We used to stay in the basement at La Glaciere before they built the rooms on the second floor. That was also before Real Masse bought his place.Used to be gas lights and a cooler on the floor there.

yes a lot of us remember the refuge... ..real masse burned down too , also the dancers in st zenon , who remembers the old lou-lou . roast beef. and gaston sold it 3 or 4 times and always took it back ,but Denis put STOP to that..

Can you "clarify" how "He" put a stop to that??.......or is it just like the rest...pure speculation, no hard facts?

When GrumpySanta said "Dennis put a stop to that",He was saying Dennis bought the place,built it up,payed for it and kept it. When Dennis and Dianne bought the place the trails were groomed by the club in St Zenon,..St Michele & Glacier had their own clubs, he was the driving force in combining the two clubs,good bussiness move on his part.

When GrumpySanta said "Dennis put a stop to that",He was saying Dennis bought the place,built it up,payed for it and kept it. When Dennis and Dianne bought the place the trails were groomed by the club in St Zenon,..St Michele & Glacier had their own clubs, he was the driving force in combining the two clubs,good bussiness move on his part.

Gaston owned the Cabonon when Dennis bouht it

yes a lot of us remember the refuge... ..real masse burned down too , also the dancers in st zenon , who remembers the old lou-lou . roast beef. and gaston sold it 3 or 4 times and always took it back ,but Denis put STOP to that..

The bellerose in St.Michele burned down and also hosted dancers.

If Dennis is personally managing day-to-day operation of a fleet of 8 groomers, I can say (from some personal experience) it is a huge task and I salute him. Personnel, equipment, fuel, scheduling, maintenance, breakdowns, and most importantly the weather can make (or break) a grooming operation quickly.

what i meant by my comment was that gaston sold it to 2 or 3 people and lost it ,never built bigger and gaston took it back till Denis, because he held the mortage paper on it , but when denis bought it there was no mortage paper for him to keep and he has built it up year after year ..more rooms indoor pool , garage : new club with all those dozers , But i am surprized his son and daughter has not taken it over , I spent a few nites there sipping a Brew at the bar , But it was not easy ,lots of rumors ,and the lake residents were not too happy with him.. I believe the first year he opened the club he had 1200 members and 1150 were from USA.

Edited by grumpysanta

First time I was ever at Le Cabannon was in 1987. Blew up my Indy trail on the lake, was in my teens at the time. LOL

Stayed at the Glacier but stoped there for a snack. You would have though that first trip to Canada would have tought

me that this sport is a money drain!! LOL

what i meant by my comment was that gaston sold it to 2 or 3 people and lost it ,never built bigger and gaston took it back till Denis, because he held the mortage paper on it , but when denis bought it there was no mortage paper for him to keep and he has built it up year after year ..more rooms indoor pool , garage : new club with all those dozers , But i am surprized his son and daughter has not taken it over , I spent a few nites there sipping a Brew at the bar , But it was not easy ,lots of rumors ,and the lake residents were not too happy with him.. I believe the first year he opened the club he had 1200 members and 1150 were from USA.

Denis' daughter Isabelle and her husband actually have been running it for a few years now but Denis and Diane are there to help esp. when busy

No rumors, just hard fact here... We've been riding the whole area this week from Shawinigan to St Donat and it's almost ALL good, with plenty of grooming goin on. And we've gotten 8 to 10 inches of fresh heavy "cream cheese" the past 24hrs.

There are some rerouts on 23 & 63 & 350 from what's on the maps & GPS so you have to plan some extra miles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Towing, the waiter at La Glacier smiled when we mentioned your name! Good ailes de poulet. I got the pics of the ice sculptures in St Come (thanks again for the directions) but I've been getting error messages when trying to post pics lately regardless of size.

Happy trails!