Conditions in RDL ?

snowdogs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rode from Montmagny to RDL a few days ago. Trail 5 is scratchy in spots along the way, basically for 15 to 20 miles in the middle. I swung thru the Universal Hotel and from the hotel going south was very thin until I got on the RR bed. The south RR below RDL, trail 35 back to Montmagny, trail 55, all excellent and mid winter conditions But it has been warm near the St. Lawrence the past few days, and last night's/today's storm only dumped about an inch in Montmagny. Did not ride today so I do not know what other areas received for snow. mike.

Thank's Mikerider, is it better to just ride out of Montmagny? (would be less of a ride up by truck) ...we plan to ride to the western part of Gaspie for a few days ..Thanks. Mario

Only picked up another inch or two overnight. Riding out of Montmagny is excellent, I just wouldn't take trail 5 east although many sections are fine. I posted pics of this past week's riding including separate pics of Wednesdays ride on Maine section of HCS, probably 2 pages back now. Again, just a few miles south of Montmagny or RDL is awesome. Heading home this morning. mike

Hi Mario,

We just got to Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas (Levis) this afternoon. We went out for 25 miles around here and it is very good. Tomorrow Jason and I are heading to the Universal in RDL. We are planning on trail 5 but if it gets bad, we`ll drop down to 35.

I`ll post tomorrow night.

We are here just to ride Saturday and Sunday. Monday we are trucking home.

Jack & Jason

Hi Mario,

We just got to Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas (Levis) this afternoon. We went out for 25 miles around here and it is very good. Tomorrow Jason and I are heading to the Universal in RDL. We are planning on trail 5 but if it gets bad, we`ll drop down to 35.

I`ll post tomorrow night.

We are here just to ride Saturday and Sunday. Monday we are trucking home.

Jack & Jason

Thank's Jack, we are leaving Sunday morning, I will check tomorrow night on your trail report!

Hi Mario,

We left Bernieres this morning and took 5 to Montmagny. We gassed up and took 551 down to 35. I wanted to have lunch at Relais Jasmin before the crowd and figured the 35 would be quicker than 5. All the trails were great. We arrived at Jasmin at 11:00. Not many people yet. We had lunch and left a little after noon. Many more people by the time we left.

We stayed on 35, the railbed, all the way to Relais Aventuriers Pohenegamook. This is the old Relais Montagne Blue by the railroad tracks. I think this went by another name before Montagne Blue. This part of 35 was rough, not horrible but could use a grooming. From there we took 526 to 85 and then into RDL. 526 and 85 were fantastic.

They were holding drag races at the original Relais Aventuriers on top of the hill on 85 just before RDL. We stopped and watched for awhile. From here into the Universal the snow is thinner. Not bare but some snirt.

Overall it was a very good day. But then any day snowmobiling is a good day.

The forecast is for a high of +3 C and light rain tomorrow. I think we may get a little wet going back to Motel Bernieres tomorrow. Oh well, it is still riding.

The long term forecast is for temps to be just above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. There is still a fair amount of snow on the ground but I would expect the corners and south facing hills to start showing snirt.

Happy trails to everyone.

Jack & Jason

So Jack how was it?

Mario, you have to give me time to type. These french keyboards are tough. Try to find the question mark? Ugh!

Jack

We like Bernieres. It is right off the exit from the highway, big lot and a locked enclosure for the trucks. Restaurant, bar and not so formal seating. Good food and clean rooms. There is a gas station just down the street but take the trail behind St Huberts. There is a Police Station in between and they frown upon sleds running the road. You do have to cross the road at St Huberts and run the side for a short distance to get to the gas station but this is past the Police Station.

It is going to warm up so the trails will probably get soft. There is still a fair amount of snow. We are heading back to Bernieres tomorrow, Sunday. I`ll post again.

Jack & Jason

How is Bernieres ? good place to spend a week ? Planning on the Universal but maybe shorten my drive a little. Thanks, Mark

We are going to Montmagny which is in between the 2 ...for the week.

revct1 (Jack) looking forward to your report of your ride today, My buddy and I decided we are going no matter what, booked into Universal through Saturday, we are leaving northern NY in the morning. Might just do loops out of the Universal or might do a 1 or 2 night saddlebag from there, price at Universal was reasonable enough we will probably ride with clean underwear in our bags in case we decide to stay away a night or 2.

OK - The good and the bad.

Hi Snowdogs,

We woke up this morning and it had snowed just a little overnight, 1-2 cm. We left the Universal and the trail had been groomed overnight, yipee!

There are local trails that run along the river that we take sometimes but 5 is where the groomer was and my motto is `When in Doubt - Follow the Groomer`. We stayed on 5 and figured if it became bad we would drop down to 35.

The first 10 miles from the Universal were good but thin in a few spots. After that the trail starts to climb in elevation and wow, did it get better. A light snow all morning, no rain. The snow did melt on the face shield but it was snow. The trail was like mid season, perfect. All the clubs had been out. 5 was wonderful from RDL to 10 miles from Montmagny. At that point the trail drops down out of the mountains.

More sled traffic and a rising temperature took its toll on the trail. From Montmagny all the way to Motel Bernieres, the trail was mashed potatoes. It was still good and most of the trail still has pretty good snow coverage but nothing like the morning.

The forecast for Quebec City is highs of +4C this week. That will hurt.

The forecast for RDL was to stay at freezing or below. They are also predicting light snow on and off for the week.

I would think there will still be good riding in the higher elevations for awhile. There may be some issues getting in and out of RDL. You`ll start seeing more snirt as the week goes on.

Also a hi to Mario and Chris. Same thing riding out of Montmagny. I thnk you will have better riding in the mountains. 5 east towards RDL would be a better choice than 5 west toward Quebec City.

Check out Mont du Midi. I read in one of the posts here that there are windmills that you can get up close to.

Jack & Jason