snowdogs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mike,

I've been following your reports. Thanks.

We have reservations at Hotel Bernieres for Friday night and Universal for Saturday night but MeteoMedia says rain in Quebec for Saturday and Sunday.

Keep us updated if you can break away from the frolicking cheerleaders.

Jack & Sandi

Is that a topless girl I see?

No. Just a pair of knees.

Jack

The guys do look pretty cozy with their arms around each other. I'm trying to pick out Mike.

Jack

Mike could be in the other tub with the older crowd, they look like there having more fun!

Well, looks like I took quite a beating on QR today!

However, there was no beating on the sled. Finally can give a ride report that occurred outside the hotel walls.

Trails were nothing less than awesome. 200 miles, just perfection. Some areas had up to a couple inches of new snow, some areas still had trees caked in snow. No bumps except a few small drift ridges in a couple places. Only met a few sleds all day.

Basically headed west on trail 5, dropped down to 35 making my way southerly, then up 85, and hit a few other trails in between.

Brutally cold and windy all day. A great day of sledding. Very serious, just totally awesome riding. Couldn't believe it could be this good.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any up to date info on the Bas St. Laurent trails ? I did the loop around the Gaspe last week and on Friday coming in the trails near the Hotel Universal were pretty beat. I plan to come up next week and ride day loops out of the Hotel. Also stopped down to Club Monroe for a beverage last Friday and it was closed. Does anyone know if they relocated or where one might find adult entertainment in RDL ? Thanks for any info provided.

Hi Spectre,

How did your trip around the Gaspe turn out?

I am heading somewhere, probably tomorrow, Thursday. Once away from the Universal Hotel, were the trails pretty good in

that area? Thinking of Montmagmy or RDL, have about ten days off.

What day you heading up?

Mike

Hi Mike,

The trip around the Gaspe went pretty good. The first day out I had some overheating problems due to the hard packed conditions. Stopped at the Cat dealer in Point-ala-Croix on Tuesday and picked up a set of ice scratchers which cured the problem. The trails too the south especially from New Richmond too Chandler had a lot of ice and water holes. Also got caught in rain for the Tuesday afternoon ride, always fun.

Wednesday we saw sun and great view of the "rock" at Perce. Thursday we dropped down into Murdochville and rode from there to La Cache and up to Matane. The interior trails were plush with snow and the riding was great.

Myself and one of my Vietnam buddies are heading up to Hotel Universal on Sunday morning. We plan to ride day loops out of there for the week. He is a new rider and has some disability issues from being "over there" so we won't be pounding it too hard. Are you staying at Universal this time ?

John

Specte, thanks for the report.

I have no specific plans, no reservations, just driving up and either making camp at Montmagmy or driving over to RDL, in which case I'll be at the Universal. Hopefully will leave early tomorrow morning if the service job on my sled is done.

If I am at the Universal, look for my black Dodge P/U and yellow/blk 900 ACE. If Montmagny, probably the o'Leisure

Hotel.

mike

Arrived in RDL late afternoon today and went for a 75 mile spin, mostly in the dark, going south down 85 RR Bed and looping over 526 to Explorers Club house and back around to trail 5.

First several miles out of the hotel were icy. A few small ice patches on the RR bed.

Not sure how to describe the next 65 miles. Only a couple icy corners, but the trails felt hard as a brick. A little dusting on top so plenty of lube.

Almost too much ski and track traction. A few sections had small bumps, not sure but I think the bumps were so hard the groomer couldn't level them and like the groomer couldn't break through the top layer and bring up fresh snow from below.

A lot of the time it felt like the ski carbides were riding on ice, but there was almost too much carbide bite. A couple times I got off the sled and tried kicking my boots into the trail and it is harder than a brick.

Sorry, hard to describe the conditions, but definitely much different than the hard conditions a couple weeks ago (those hard conditions were excellent riding).

Going to leave RDL in the morning and truck to Montmagmy as it looked like a little more snow over there when I drove through this afternoon.

If that is not good, it's either off to Jonquiere or home.

Some of you may find the conditions here fine, don't want to give bad info, but for me it just wasn't that good.

mike

Thanks Mike for the update. There is a little snow predicted for RDL on Saturday hopefully it will happen. Added ice scratchers to both sleds for cooling purposes. Headed up to RDL on Sunday and we'll see how it goes. If you get to Jonquiere let me know as we might head up there if RDL doesn't work out...................John