Chaudiere Trail Conditions Fri Feb 22 to Fri Mar 1st

mikerider

Arrived at Montmagny yesterday (Thuirsday) and it was snowing off and on all day. Group from New Brunswick came into the hotel and said there was two feet of recent snow at RDL.

Rode west today for a 250 mile loop and conditions were awesome. All trails had been groomed last night, the entire 250 mile loop, like they knew I was coming. Even late this afternoon I was running into trails just groomed for the second time today. Started out dark and cloudy, then sun came out and gorgeous. Only thin area was Saint Marie for a few miles. Lot of snow in many areas that I rode thru today.

mike

Did about 200 miles today. Went to St Pamphile for breakfast, trails were awesome. Caught up with Jack and Sandi at Tourville and rode with them for about 30 miles. Hit some trails in the afternoon that were good but very soft. Snowing hard this evening. mike

New Favorite relais discovered yesterday. Walked in thinking it was a snowmobile club, ordered breakfast and it was good. Happened to notice a very small raised stage with lots of mirrors. Maine clubs have complained on HCS they have to put on bean suppers every week to raise money. Maybe they need to take this approach. Asked one of the 3 females working if I could take a picture of the stage, thinking I would post it for the Maine guys as a way to make money for trails. Next thing I know I am on stage with one of the ladies, much to the delight of the Canadian snowmobilers. When my new friend spoke to the crowd, all I understood her say is 'He's from Maine"! The crowd laughed! mikepost-70-0-70081100-1361670539_thumb.jpgpost-70-0-95009500-1361670588_thumb.jpg

A little late but I got to post.

Sandi and I rode Saturday, Feb 23rd. We met Mike after he had "breakfast" at the relais or should I say ballet? Hmm, those rhyme.

We stayed at Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas. We rode 75, 5 east and 55 south to Tourville's Relais Jasmin. This is a "relais" and very nice I will add. No ballet here. The place was packed. We got there at 12 noon. Service was great for the number of people there and the food was great. The menu du jour was $11.95, good deal.

I was looking for Mike while we were eating but didn't see him. As we were pulling out on our sleds after lunch, I spotted a rider with the orange jacket. Yep, it is Mike. Talked to him for a little while.

We rode down 35, the railbed, until 551, the Montmagny cutoff. We headed north and Mike went to find gas. From Montmagny we backtracked 5 and 75.

The trails in the morning to Montmagny were very good. Trail 5 after Montmagny got soft and squishy. Trail 55 was great. The first few miles on 35 were so so but got better the further we went. Maybe a lot of traffic right around Relais Jasmin. Trail 5 back to Motel Bernieres was pretty beat after a day of traffic.

A lot of traffic and warm temps really eats up a trail fast.

Jack & Sandi

It was great catching up to Jack and Sandi and riding with them for a ways. Today went to RDL and St Pamphile, 300 mile day. Most trails good, but today about 50 miles needed grooming. Sugar houses are very active right now. Trail 5 about half way to RDL from Montmagny had some snirt here and there for 15 or 20 miles. Last 25 miles to RDL took the green trail to see the St. Lawrence views, it was good. From Universal Hotel for several miles is then and needs snow. Headed for a ways south on the RR bed then SW and west on trail 35. Once on the RR bed below RDL, snow depth was fine and trails great all the way back including trail 55 from St Pamphile. The closed RR bridge on trail 35 is now now groomed for only a half mile, earlier in year it was a few miles. mike

A little late but I got to post.

Sandi and I rode Saturday, Feb 23rd. We met Mike after he had "breakfast" at the relais or should I say ballet? Hmm, those rhyme.

We stayed at Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas. We rode 75, 5 east and 55 south to Tourville's Relais Jasmin. This is a "relais" and very nice I will add. No ballet here. The place was packed. We got there at 12 noon. Service was great for the number of people there and the food was great. The menu du jour was $11.95, good deal.

Jack & Sandi

'Le Jasmin' is always a zoo on weekends. The new place is very upscale but I liked the old place; it had character. It was a bit east of there on TQ55 right beside the trail. I want to say it moved to the present location about 5 yrs ago(?)

Yea we used to stop at the old place too. It did have character. The new place had quite a few cars there too with locals that were not snomobiling. They must just stop in for a bite.

The service was still good though with the place full.

Jack & Sandi

As far as trails go, once a few miles south of Montmagny it is great. Very scratchy going down to the hotel district, large bare areas going thru the areas/parking lots by the Cat and Doo dealers, same along the roadway where there is no trail. mike

Nice report ! Also...How is the Motel Centre-Ville in Montmagny ? Is it easy to get to ?

As far as trails go, once a few miles south of Montmagny it is great. Very scratchy going down to the hotel district, large bare areas going thru the areas/parking lots by the Cat and Doo dealers, same along the roadway where there is no trail. mike

Not sure if you know the area but after Mike posted the above I can help you a bit. The motel is probably a 4 star place but is a ways from the trail. When there is plenty of snow it is a bit of a chore to get to but when the sidewalk is bare, I would not recommend it. Mike's description of the sidewalk - which is the passage from TQ5 to the distant motels - would cause me to find a place closer. The EconoLodge, LeFlorimay, L'Oiseliere are right off TQ5.

Sounds like the warm temps, sun, traffic, etc are making access difficult even right off the trail

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Thanks for the info. Will stay out of town. Looks like more snow today. Going up tuesday probably staying at Hotel Bernieres. Sounds like riding to Cabano is the better joice. Anyone ever stay at Sante Plein Air in Pohenegamook ?

We just got to Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas (Levis) this afternoon. We went out for 25 miles around here and it is very good. Tomorrow Jason and I are heading to the Universal in RDL. I`ll post tomorrow night.

We are here just to ride Saturday and Sunday. Monday we are trucking home.

Jack & Jason

Thanks for the info. Will stay out of town. Looks like more snow today. Going up tuesday probably staying at Hotel Bernieres. Sounds like riding to Cabano is the better joice. Anyone ever stay at Sante Plein Air in Pohenegamook ?

Yes, I have stayed there - but it was several yrs. ago. Nice place, sort of a resort. They took good care of us as we arrived after dinner so they made us some sandwiches and such. Bent over backwards to be sure we had enough to eat.

In Cabano, I would recommend the Motel Royal.

We left the Beauceville Clubhouse this afternooon and I am in Montmagny now and Mikerider`s description is accurate for here. I think we will be heading to Amqui. Conditions are better than I expected. The snow that came yesterday helped. TQ5 was being groomed tonight as we came in and I would rate the 90+ miles from Beauceville to here as 8+ overall.