Trail report for March 9 to 16 [Hopefully]. West is the only choice...

scorpionbowl

Two weeks ago, you could barely fit another sled in the corral, that's why this is the best time of year to ride. The only choice for this years last ride is to head West and pray. NH-moose and I will head West on 83, ride out there for 3 days and return on 93.

I'm sure Mother Nature and Bombardier will keep throwing us curve balls along the way, but what can you do. We will try to report daily, even if we only make it 10 miles. Any other updates from people on the trails are much appreciated.

We are starting in Shawinigan, as you can see, there is plenty of snow. The river, trails and weather look good, so we begin in the morning...

Scorpionbowl

If you guys are planning on fueling up in clova, I would like to hear first hand reports on how the trail is like getting in to clova as well as the plowed road next to it and at the fuel pump. Planning on going up there next weekend via lepine road if mother nature cooperates.

Thanks

Mid Range,

Lepine road got plowed a few days ago so I was told this morning and with these warm temps I'm sure it is shot.

Tom

Well thanks for the heads up FS......I know it is permanently plowed from highway 117 up to the pensive or Shannon lodge junction to be more specific but if I understand it is plowed further north?? I will make a phone call then. Sorry for the hijacking.

Very much appeciate the offer David, but I'm too burnt out to head back to Shawinni tonight.

Hate to leave Gary to have all the fun by himself, if not for the Monday-Tuesday rain, would be a different plan.

Backside snow!!

Very much appeciate the offer David, but I'm too burnt out to head back to Shawinni tonight.

Hate to leave Gary to have all the fun by himself, if not for the Monday-Tuesday rain, would be a different plan.

Backside snow!!

That sucks! delt with a shortened trip last week,heading back up Wednesday to go west to get our last trip in.

We rode from the 4th through the 9th put on 1239 miles on and all was very good to excellent. A few spots of mud that could be avoided are showing up on the road to the gas pumps at Clova. 83 was perfect from Roberval to Clova with the normal bumps in the twistys east of the bridge after Relay 22. My hat is off to Club Du Nord for keeping the trails in their area perfect while we were there. Traffic has subsided somewhat over what we saw 3 weeks ago so trails are holding up better. Thursday and Friday the groomer did run from Clova to St. Anne Du Lac and looking down 83 towards Balbuzzard that looked flat too. Who knows what the rain and warm this week will bring?

I would like us to send healing thoughts and prayers for the manager at Le fer a Cheval who suffered a nasty stroke Friday night and was taken by ambulance to Mt Laurier.

Jeff

Was my 2006 SDI renegade, only 8500 miles on it.

Elitech in St Etienne was not much help, no mechanics on Saturday, not interested in offering any suggestions or helping out, but did let us use the phone to call around to more helpful dealers :help:

I was warned about Elitech, but the location was convenient and I was hoping to have it looked at ASAP. Please don't go there, and if you do be sure to set your expectations much lower than any other dealer in the PQ.

One call to Pierre at MotoThibault (Yamaha dealer in Cap De Madeline), he phoned ahead to Clement Motos in Louiseville off 40 (about 3 minutes away) and greased the skids for us, as long as we got there by noon we'd be in the shop!

The owner and technicians Eric and Fred went the extra mile to find the root cause after BUDs checking the codes and doing some great detective work. (20psi fuel pressure should have been 55psi), but unfortunately did not stock the in-tank high pressure pump since they so rarely fail! Could also be the in-tank filter or something else, but regardless it wasn't going to be a quick EGT sensor change, so it was time to end the day.

Its no fun when you're sled is wounded, but we all laughed in the shop, was the usual......

Me: I just had it serviced in the US, they did this, this and this

Mechanic: Oh, and now its up to me to figure out the new problem - LOL

Would have gladly left it there for expert repair, but since the season may be over for me, wanted to bring it back home in case there's not another trip.

Sled is back at the VT dealer now, Jury is out until Monday on what part is bad.

US border guard asked me about all the locks and chains in the back of my truck, seemed surprised and shocked there is a theft issue in the PQ. Glad to see their on top of recent events related to illegal activity in their back yard :lazy:

And a thanks to the Iceman for the extraction from St Roche de Mekinac with Phils trailer and Gastone's 1980's diesel Chevy!

Edited by NH-Moose

Border guard comment is odd for sure. We had the secondary inspection ordered since our only remaining truck made its 3rd border crossing in 2 hours and there were at least 15 guards standing around staring sternly at us for a minute before they finally offered up that the theft had really jumped this year. I hadn't hear much in years, I can't remember the last one I heard of before ours and the others this year. Not to mention that there was a large bust reported in Montreal just 2 days before ours happened. Its funny if you google Auto theft QC you'll get news stories from 2006, then 2013. The 2012-2013 news states Italian mafia was filling the void allegedly left by the successful prosecution of key biker gang members.

Low fuel pressure could also be caused by a faulty pressure regulator. A few years ago I had an Articat T660 Turbo that had poor acceleraation but no check engine light. New regulator fixed it!

Jeff

You Call we haul anytime anywhere. Glad I could help. Always ready. That's snowmobiling as we sure know.

Sure wish i had a friend like you in the Saguenay during the Gathering Iceman, but that's another story.