PALC to Lac Etchemin March 6 - 9

P Hardy

Got to Quebec for the first time in two years, after being sledless for a season. Absolutely was not disappointed. Typically our trips are fairly structured, but this time with the forecasts we absolutely winged it.

Day 1 Wednesday: 380KM

Stayed the night at the B&B in Pointe a la Croix. In the morning crossed the river to Campbelton, here the snow was very soft, trials were choppy as they had good snow cover but no conditions to groom. continued on the railbed to Keswick which had noticeably less snow. From there went to Moose Valley, lots of snow in Moose Vally and got on our first fresh groomed trail there. Had never taken the trail to Biencourt so that was a must on this trip, what a gorgeous trail, all groomed seasonal roads and never crossed a plowed road for 60KM, not many places you do that! Took the 548 to Squatec then the 569 to Degelis then the 85 up to Cabano where we stayed the night at Chateau Fraser.

Day 2 Thursday: 425 Km

Left Cabano, took 85N to 548W then 35N, bypassed Pohenegamook on the 544 then crossed the lake to hit the railbed 35N up to the 561 North and then the 5 west. At 10:00 in the morning we were the first tracks on the freshly groomed 5, hard to believe! there was some brown snow on the 5 but it was well goomed with good coverage. Took the 5 to the 553S, then hit the 35 railbed and continued west on to Tourville for lunch at the Jasmine. Talked to a couple of fellows from Connecuit at the Jasmine, don't know if they were someone on here or not. They were coming in from St Georges I believe. Continued on the 35W where we met a groomer doing an already perfect trail. Took 551W to the 55 then took the 549 and 547 around du Massif du Sud parc. What a gorgeous area! Then we took the 55 into Lac Etchemin where we stayed at Le Manior Lac-Etchemin.

post-696-0-83645000-1362938141_thumb.jpgpost-696-0-88554600-1362938176_thumb.jpg

Day 3 Friday: 570 Km

Left Lac Etchemin took the 55E to 557E, These trails all had been groomed the night before and were superb. Took 35E, 526E, 85S, 544E, 571S, 546E to the 5 behind Rimouski then the 587S down to Amqui. We didn't see any temps above freezing on these interior trails while we were there. Amqui had the lowest snow of anywhere we were. They can't stand massive amounts of rain or warm weather. Stayed at the Auberge L' Ambassadeur where we went into a coma for the evening.

post-696-0-08875700-1362938080_thumb.jpg

post-696-0-61823400-1362937999_thumb.jpg

post-696-0-13466200-1362938211_thumb.jpg

Day 4 Saturday: 175Km

Back to the truck today. Left Amqui and took the 5 to Albertville where we hooked onto the 587S down to Pointe a la Croix. I have travelled this trail a few times and personally feel it is one of the most overlooked trails in the Gaspe, it has everything; big wide roads, field running, canyon running beside a riverbed, lots of up and down twisties and as an added bonus it was groomed to perfection.

post-696-0-19998500-1362938348_thumb.jpg

post-696-0-18590600-1362938404_thumb.jpg

post-696-0-19454400-1362938442_thumb.jpg

post-696-0-66561400-1362938478_thumb.jpg

Recap: We almost called this trip off due to the forecast, I can't think of any better trips that I have ever had up there. The trail consistancy from area to area was extremely good, anywhere they had the conditions to groom everything was either freshly groomed or done in the last few days with very little traffic. Out of 1650km we might have seen 120Km that was choppy. It was 99% locals on the trails and there wasn't many of them, every place we stayed we were the only snowmobilers in the hotel and we made no reservations, just rode up and a room was available.

Hopefully the conditions will hold out and I'll get up to do the Gaspe before the end of March.

P Hardy that was I & fellow Quebec Rider member that spoke with you at Tourville Jasmine. We also had a great weekend of riding. Day 1 Started from Balmoral in Thedford Mines to Fraser's in Cabano Day 2 rode throughout Bas St Laurent region & back to Pohenegamook. Day 3 back through Chaudiere-Appalaches including du Massif du Sud Park with stops at all of the fine Club House's on trail 55 to Lac Etchemin. Day 4 which was today back to the truck at the Balmoral in Thedford Mines & back home. Only issues were the the plowed road trail riding & any riding between Trail # 5 & the St Laurent River but everything was good. Last trip for the year Ken P

Superbe report and trails to boot, like Rect1 said hit or miss this time of year and you got real lucky.

Out of curiosity, when departing from PALC to Campbelton did you cross on the bay or take a shuttle over?

P Hardy that was I & fellow Quebec Rider member that spoke with you at Tourville Jasmine. We also had a great weekend of riding. Day 1 Started from Balmoral in Thedford Mines to Fraser's in Cabano Day 2 rode throughout Bas St Laurent region & back to Pohenegamook. Day 3 back through Chaudiere-Appalaches including du Massif du Sud Park with stops at all of the fine Club House's on trail 55 to Lac Etchemin. Day 4 which was today back to the truck at the Balmoral in Thedford Mines & back home. Only issues were the the plowed road trail riding & any riding between Trail # 5 & the St Laurent River but everything was good. Last trip for the year Ken P

Hi Ken P, it was good talking to you, glad you had a great ride as well. Always nice to put faces with names.

Superbe report and trails to boot, like Rect1 said hit or miss this time of year and you got real lucky.

Out of curiosity, when departing from PALC to Campbelton did you cross on the bay or take a shuttle over?

Trailblazer, We crossed the ice as we typically do, however, this time we went West on the river and came off above the pulp mill. This was recommended to us by the B&B owner and it saved quite a bit of time tinkering around in Campbelton.

Hi Ken P, it was good talking to you, glad you had a great ride as well. Always nice to put faces with names.

Trailblazer, We crossed the ice as we typically do, however, this time we went West on the river and came off above the pulp mill. This was recommended to us by the B&B owner and it saved quite a bit of time tinkering around in Campbelton.

Hi, I just crossed the river to Cambellton 3 weeks or so ago. I have no problem with the Cambelton side, the trail is along the shore by the statues. I dont like scrapping through the neibourhoods in LACP to get on the river by the Gas station- Native smoke shop - SAQ store. Non marked trail by everybodys houses. So question is, where did you access the river on the PQ side? Below the bridge and ride under it, stay along the PQ shore side, till above the pulp mill and cross. Cant miss the Plup Mill. Nice short cut to avoid PALC + downtown Cambellton for sure, if you dont need a bed.

Hi, I just crossed the river to Cambellton 3 weeks or so ago. I have no problem with the Cambelton side, the trail is along the shore by the statues. I dont like scrapping through the neibourhoods in LACP to get on the river by the Gas station- Native smoke shop - SAQ store. Non marked trail by everybodys houses. So question is, where did you access the river on the PQ side? Below the bridge and ride under it, stay along the PQ shore side, till above the pulp mill and cross. Cant miss the Plup Mill. Nice short cut to avoid PALC + downtown Cambellton for sure, if you dont need a bed.

Momojohnny, you explained exactly what we did. We hit the river on the Eastern side of the bridge, went West while staying close to the PQ shore, then crossed just above the pulp mill. In doing this we did go through the smoke shop/gas station and unmarked trail. The B&B owner told us that you can hit the river above the bridge, but after a couple wrong turns we ended up taking the route we were most familiar with.

Momojohnny, you explained exactly what we did. We hit the river on the Eastern side of the bridge, went West while staying close to the PQ shore, then crossed just above the pulp mill. In doing this we did go through the smoke shop/gas station and unmarked trail. The B&B owner told us that you can hit the river above the bridge, but after a couple wrong turns we ended up taking the route we were most familiar with.

Thank You Sir,, Next time Ill look for the nearest trail after coming down the big hill on TQ 5 that leads to the river. 3rd time Ive been confused in downtown PALC after dark, heading back to Maine through NB.