Planning a trip to Gaspesie

KSZRT800

I am in charge of planning a drive and drop off saddlebag trip to Gaspesie for a group of 3-4. We are looking for a place to drive to park (safe) spend the first and last night there and saddle bag the rest. On trail for 5-6 days. We would be looking for second week in March, planning on getting in Sunday night so most would be mid week riding. We have done the Kirby VT to Fort Kent a few times and want something differant.

Looking for a base motel and must see places or places recomended to stay. And places to stay clear of. We travel 200-250 miles aday depending on conditions.

Thanks in advance

Riviere de loup is a good kickoff point, Hotel Universal has secure truck parking & free garages for sleds on first come basis. Trail 5 circles the Gaspe and three other trails 595 , 599 and 597 N / S trails. Chic Choc Mountains are a must Perce Rock is cool, explore this site it has been covered many times.

The last time I stayed at the Universal in RDL, 2012, it wasn't free for the sled garage parking, plus the heat didn't work in our sled garage But it is still a good place to start from and it is secure parking. They did give us our money back for the sled garage.

The last time I stayed at the Universal in RDL, 2012, it wasn't free for the sled garage parking, plus the heat didn't work in our sled garage But it is still a good place to start from and it is secure parking. They did give us our money back for the sled garage.

X2

I think 10.00 a night for the heated garage, and a free/locked pen for the Trucks and Trailers.

Also as a side note, the local Skidoo Dealer is very good, he even rents snow suits if you forget yours or sleds if your MachZ Blows Up.... Again....

Later

GutZ

Why start where there s no snow.. The snow has been thin the last few years in the areas most people would start from. You should just start in Gaspésie.. Do the tour and then do the chic-choc trail.. the best ride in Quebec, If you don't start in Matane or R.D.L. you will have time to do the trail.. There is secure parking at The Sled Den. If you stay 2 nights like you would its free.. Otherwise its 50 $.. Your truck will also be cleaned of snow.

Why ride where you might not have snow. Or for sure thin.. One rainy day and you could get stuck somewhere like some did on this site last year. They rode and then the rain took care of all the snow.. I saw some sleds come from the south by truck cause the snow was gone. Then we rode for another month and a half. I will guarantee you snow at The Sled Den.. We had tons this year. We rode trails from the beginning of Dec to the Middle of April.. The north shore of the Gaspésie is the B.C. of Gaspésie... We ride above 2000' from Beginning of Nov till Mid May or so.. Rode May 19 on a 4-5 foot base at 2000'.

It just makes more sense to start in snow and if you have time then just ride more in the gaspe..Its a 3 day ride from The Sled Den to Murdochville then La Cache ,and then back to The Sled Den. This is the 5 then you take the 595 which is the chic-choc trail.. The trails on the north shore of Gaspésie have switch backs and turns with cliffs.. You will not ride fast here. The Gaspe tour is a must. Its about a 4-5 day ride when you leave from where we are. But exploring the backcountry roads is what Gaspésie is all about.. You can do trails at home.. Here they let you ride off the main trails.. Explore all the different roads and logging roads that you are not aloud to ride legal in most of Quebec.

If you would like to have info on where to stay,just send me an e-mail. .Check my site and see the reports for the snow conditions in the time frame you are going.. I have condition reports for the whole season.Every day when we rode and also no more than 3 days between reports. Yes they are not stretched..lol.. no need to...

Heres a pic of me on the 18th of may..Ya theres 4-6 inches of new snow..

post-526-0-01164100-1372271062_thumb.jpg

Edited by quebecmountainrider

• 3 weeks later...

I will drive to the 'good stuff' I drove past lots of riders last year that were stranded (did offer a couple a ride) but there were too many of them to fit in my truck and trailer. Jean-Guy had the best of the best in terms of where to start our trip, little more of a drive, but we added some back country adventure. Jacks's area in the Chic Choc...I would just like to stay there the whole winter.

We will be there for the beginning of March! 'Groomers Spring Break' number 2!

yahoo!

I will drive to the 'good stuff' I drove past lots of riders last year that were stranded (did offer a couple a ride) but there were too many of them to fit in my truck and trailer. Jean-Guy had the best of the best in terms of where to start our trip, little more of a drive, but we added some back country adventure. Jacks's area in the Chic Choc...I would just like to stay there the whole winter.

yahoo!

Ahh.. Spring break # 2, I can't wait (this heat is getting to me!)

KSZRT800..............Just do as Phil 1 posted but I would wait till last moment to see how conditions are.

last year 1st week of March RDL was dry but 7 miles out was good so if similar conditions, just go down to Cabano (or anyplace inland) and it should be good from there.

Ahh.. Spring break # 2, I can't wait (this heat is getting to me!)

Can't wait ! I think I will call the kids and do our Christmas thing in August...so i can clear my December / January schedule! lol

Its commin faster than you think..lol.. First freeze this year at 2500 meters.. 3 degrees at 2500' this weekend.. Yahoooooo.. Its going to be an early winter. Its not warm up in the mountains.. Jack

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mont-Jacques-Cartier/forecasts/1268

Edited by quebecmountainrider

yahoo!

don t hesitate to come linda......firewood is on the way !!! hhaha!!

second pic....'' square forks '' area...trail 595 is up the clearcut behind !!

jean-guy :drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Jean-Guy I somehow missed this post! So sorry!

I see you have been busy with the chain saw haha!

It's good to see you smiling! lol

Linda

post-875-0-95932500-1375333715_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I apreciate all the feed back and still working on a plan. Wanted to as if anyone knows of a place around Matane (or Cabano) that offers secure parking and a place to stay. The reason I am thinking Matane is it is about a 7 hour drive for us in good weather and 10 in bad.Plus it gets us east enough for a nice loop. The sled den is to far to drive. Always open for options.

Thanks

Edited by KSZRT800