Where am I? Summer Edition

scorpionbowl

Then you remember Richard when he had the Poo Dealership on rue Principale, together with his tool rental biz. I remember leaving the back of his shop at 2:30 AM with Richard and his brother, to go riding in the Parc when there was no-one else around on the trails. We'd race from the Caribou Parc Gate over to the St-Michelle relais, then back. Richard was a hair "derange" and held the throttle on his 600 wide open most of the time, though I must admit he was the best snowmobile rider I have ever riden with. The only thing that gave us pause was the occassional moose standing in the middle of the trail when we ripped around a corner. LOL

Timbo,,

Is Richard still around town? Poo dealership still there ?? I have not been over that way for years,,, He was into motorcyle racing too in his younger years,, I think?? Forget the brand,he liked,, Hodaka??? Anything that went fast,, Richard would always say " deal me in".. He always like to get from point "A" to point " B " as fast as he could,, LOL,, Always was there to help his customers too,,, Nice guy IMO.. fuzzy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dock is the municpal dock at the Quay of Parc des Pionniers just beside where the trail goes onto the lake. The new St-D ice rink is just across rue Hector Bilideau from the boat ramp.

Thad's and my place is only 300 yds from there, on the Pointe du Chateau.

StDonat_zps65abf343.jpg

rmk

My first trip to St-D was in 1979, that was back in the "double groomed trail days", and I had been staying in St-Michel for a number of years, at the Saw Mill (aux Vieux Moulin aue Scie) when Camille owned it. A big days excursion was to ride down to La Glacier, Koubec, or around Lac Taureau. We made two or three trips each winter. One "big day" we rode over to St-D. Got hooked and made that my destination for a few years. Richard opened his dealership in 1979-80. Prior to that the only poo dealerships around were in St-Michel, or Ste-Agathe (or of course, St-Joilette).

Richard started out very modestly, with only a few machines. Later, in the day, he did a great biz.

Fuzzy

Richard sold the dealership to a yammie dealer from down south, who it turned out "specialized" primarily in rental sleds (richard had build up a pretty substantial rental biz his last few years).

After a couple of years there were few, if any, new sleds for sale, and a lot of old rental iron for sale.

I haven't seen Richard for 5 or 6 years and I don't believe he is still in the St-D area, at least not in the winter.

You are right, he love machines and speed. Motorcycles were another of his passions.

You mention his customer service. It was amazing and he was well networked with guys all over the province. One time, must be 10-12 years ago, Krissy & I trailered my Road King up to the house in St-D. The "trailer" was an old, hard sprung, mowing trailer, as a friend had "borrowed" my harley trailer for a trip to Daytona a month earlier and had forgotten to bring it back. It was late May (fly season), and we were going to go up to open the house up for the summer. We decide at the last minute to take a bike along, so I loaded it, cattywampus, on the mower trailer. The road from Ste-Agathe was still resplendent with jumbo frost heaves and we jiggle/jolted the shit out of my poor road-king. When we arrived at the lake, the bike would not crank. The jostling shook the plates loose in the battery and she was doa.

Called Richard on the phone. He told me to bring the battery in asap ( it was about 5pm friday eve).

I had it to his shop in about 10 minutes. While he was there he called the harley dealer in montreal, who just happened to have a house on Archambault, and the guy way just in the process of leaving montreal for his house in St-D. I got a call at 9pm from Richard to come and get my new battery.

That's the kind of guy he is.

Our first trip to Quebec was to Saint Donat 1999. We stayed at The Pot. It was a great first impression. We were hooked from then on.

1st generation digital pics.

1999 600 Venture Triple

DCP_0373_zpsbb414416.jpg

Critter at the top of black mountain

DCP_0395_zps0bf97bd2.jpg

DCP_0422_zps563301f4.jpg

Great Pics, GT

Specially love the pic of the old "pointe aux vue" warming hootch on the old trail, overlooking Lac Oureau, on the trail to Notre-Dame de la Merci. Your pic on the Venture is in front of the motel units, just after the new "deluxe rooms" were build behind them. It was probably during the couple of years there was no exterion finish on the "delux-ies", LOL.

Edited by timbo

Fuzzy

Richard sold the dealership to a yammie dealer from down south, who it turned out "specialized" primarily in rental sleds (richard had build up a pretty substantial rental biz his last few years).

After a couple of years there were few, if any, new sleds for sale, and a lot of old rental iron for sale.

I haven't seen Richard for 5 or 6 years and I don't believe he is still in the St-D area, at least not in the winter.

You are right, he love machines and speed. Motorcycles were another of his passions.

You mention his customer service. It was amazing and he was well networked with guys all over the province. One time, must be 10-12 years ago, Krissy & I trailered my Road King up to the house in St-D. The "trailer" was an old, hard sprung, mowing trailer, as a friend had "borrowed" my harley trailer for a trip to Daytona a month earlier and had forgotten to bring it back. It was late May (fly season), and we were going to go up to open the house up for the summer. We decide at the last minute to take a bike along, so I loaded it, cattywampus, on the mower trailer. The road from Ste-Agathe was still resplendent with jumbo frost heaves and we jiggle/jolted the shit out of my poor road-king. When we arrived at the lake, the bike would not crank. The jostling shook the plates loose in the battery and she was doa.

Called Richard on the phone. He told me to bring the battery in asap ( it was about 5pm friday eve).

I had it to his shop in about 10 minutes. While he was there he called the harley dealer in montreal, who just happened to have a house on Archambault, and the guy way just in the process of leaving montreal for his house in St-D. I got a call at 9pm from Richard to come and get my new battery.

That's the kind of guy he is.

Thanks Timbo for the update/info.. in some "little" ways I kinda miss the good old days and those "big days" of riding you mention.,,,LOL,, Double divider trails, mixed oil in gas cans and solid front end leaf springs was the norm in those days,,Maybe $1850 / $2000 total for a "fully dressed" new 400 Indy at the time???? You are 100% correct when going to St-D from La-Glacier was a big trip. Even over to John Kubec's was "big".. funny stuff now,, ,hells bells we even carried a extra spring when going around Lac St-Jean in those days while leaving from St-Michelle area.. how things have changed,,,, My first trip was '80/81 winter, with the guys,, got "hooked" big time,,then wife joined in on the fun all the following years.. We andall our riding buds always hit the restaurant on main street, right in town, on the corner( forget the name) parked out back,, Very sled friendly and good food... I assume it is still there?? Thanks for the memeries. fuzzy

Thanks Timbo for the update/info.. in some "little" ways I kinda miss the good old days and those "big days" of riding you mention.,,,LOL,, Double divider trails, mixed oil in gas cans and solid front end leaf springs was the norm in those days,,Maybe $1850 / $2000 total for a "fully dressed" new 400 Indy at the time???? You are 100% correct when going to St-D from La-Glacier was a big trip. Even over to John Kubec's was "big".. funny stuff now,, ,hells bells we even carried a extra spring when going around Lac St-Jean in those days while leaving from St-Michelle area.. how things have changed,,,, My first trip was '80/81 winter, with the guys,, got "hooked" big time,,then wife joined in on the fun all the following years.. We andall our riding buds always hit the restaurant on main street, right in town, on the corner( forget the name) parked out back,, Very sled friendly and good food... I assume it is still there?? Thanks for the memeries. fuzzy

fuzzy

The restaurant is Le Coin (the corner). It's still there and operating, but under its 6th owner since you last dined there, LOL. Last time I looked (lastwinter) it was a "Broasted Chicken" spot. There is still plenty of sled parking in the lot downhill at the back in front of the sporting goods store (the Vienneau) which went out of biz last winter.

great thinking about the old days. where in PA are you, fuzzy?

timbo

fuzzy

The restaurant is Le Coin (the corner). It's still there and operating, but under its 6th owner since you last dined there, LOL. Last time I looked (lastwinter) it was a "Broasted Chicken" spot. There is still plenty of sled parking in the lot downhill at the back in front of the sporting goods store (the Vienneau) which went out of biz last winter.

great thinking about the old days. where in PA are you, fuzzy?

timbo

Timbo,, About 50 "klicks" directly east of Harrisburg,, Lancaster/Chester County line,,, Fuzzy

hi gt rider and fuzzy !!

hmmmmm !! very surprised !!look so easy !!

its right at the end of the long straight going east on tq 5, about 1.5 miles west of ste marguerite !!

on the first pic,what you see, going east, just before turning right ......and the second one ,looking west !!

on the second pic...i work right on the left side at the end of the straight....up the mountain...started working there last monday !!

just too bad...i was offering a bottle of wine to the winner !!

better luck next time !!!....hahhahahahha!!!

jean-guy :drinks: