Cell Phone Coverage around Gaspesie

KSZRT800

Just another question from a newbe. What is cell phone corerage like up there if any? I am figuring there cant be much if any cutting across the middle. Also what do people that use Verizon do as far as roaming fees. I have work related contacts that I should be doing once in awhile.

Thanks

You are correct that there are areas where there is no cell coverage. The past few years I have added a "Canada" plan to my service this allows calls & text with out the huge roaming fees. I think it was about $30 per month additional. You can also add on for data but the best thing to do is turn off your data roaming & connect through wifi when it's available. I have purchased additional data but you can burn through it quick if not careful.

You may also consider a satellite phone. I've thought about it but never have rented one.

I carry Bell and Rogers, Rogers cuts off for most of the Gaspesie, Bell does better, but most of the time there is no cell service...and that would be why I need to go again.

Here is a list of hotels with wifi...it sometimes works to just sit in their parking lot ;o) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/quebec/gaspe-peninsula/hotels/wifi-internet

Have fun!

Edited by lindasledgirl

I just drove around the Gaspe in my car and had cell service about every time i looked down. I have at&t and believe it is much better than verizon which i had years ago. If you want an emergency phone on the trails, you should rent a sat phone. If you want something to work at the hotels at night I would add the international plans for the trip [Not sure about verizon], the prices have come down a lot. On this last trip, two of the four hotels had wifi, but it didn't work. This seems to be fairly common surprisingly, so Im glad i have cell data also. It's surprising how many places in the bush have wifi. I believe Mont St Pierre is the only place I've stayed on the Gaspe that doesn't have wifi, but I'm sure there are others.

Hey Gary,

You do the Gaspe in summer & winter eh? Let me guess which season you like better!!

You have the company shutdown at the holidays again this December?

Hope you're enjoying this summer that is flying by quickly.

Best,

Tom

Oh yeah, I'll be riding somewhere in December. Of course winter is better, but I really enjoy scouting the trails in the summer, and it helps shorten the off-season...

When I had nextel for the corp they worked perfect 90% of the time on 2 way. Verizon is expensive to use but coverage is ok. I bought a pre paid cell and load each year when touring leave a message on the reg cell for the temp number.

forgive me but that is what I have workers for your away be away they will all live

Due to the extreme topography of the Gaspesie none are perfect, once you get far outside any town service will be scetchy.

Now that there, Steven, that there is profound!!! ;-)