Kanawata to La Tuque info?

Rick M

I usually go up to Canada just one weekend a year, two years ago I did Kanawata to La Tuque on a two up sled, about 240 miles. I was completely wiped out after it. This year I am going with 2 other couples and would to like to the same run but possibly shorten it up by 50 - 70 miles. My question is if I went to Wemotaci and then drove on the Saint Maurice river would that be an idea? It will be the about the 2nd or 3rd week of February. Or should I go to Windigo and then jump on the river. Looking at the map, I see a dotted line that travels down the river. Has anybody traveled on this section befor? Please, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick M

I am not sure what you are seeing as a "dotted line" traveling down the river. I think you are seeing the railroad tracks marked there along the river maybe. Never heard of anyone using the River from Wemontaci, pretty sure its always open there and running. Not an option. Windigo People do use the reservoir there to ride on but I have no Knowledge nor have heard of any way from there by "river" to Kanawata.

Probably for sure off trail there are many ways shorter to Kanawata not happening with a 2 up and not without someone who knows where they are going,

I'm not sure where you are starting from. For a weekend trip and if it must be to Kanawata then start at Rivere Mattawin. Take 360 to 345 to Lac Du Repos. (where on a Saturday in February it will be Jammed with lots of sleds.) Get Gas there eat if you need to and want to probably wait a while depending on your arrival time. Then leave there and take the 345 north to Kanawata. For many years now just a couple of miles from Lac Du Repos Relais you will come to a Road and now the 345 runs alongside this road and crosses it back and forth.

Now if there is enough snow on the sides of the road, which usually there is and If its not plowed to nothing and sanded for Logging. Which you will know cause if they are using it it will be sanded real good. You can run the road all the way up and you will see the Driveway to Kanawata on your right. Go on in the Driveway and you are there. Definately shorter then going thru La Tuque.

We call the Road after Lac Repos the Kanawata Express for a reason.

Good Luck. Anything else just ask.

Thanks Iceman, you just saved me a trip from hell !!! My last trip started in St. Michel (1:00pm), straight up 33 to Kanawata (about 90 miles). From there we went to La Tuque. The whole purpose of this new trip is to show my friends the northern part of Region where the snow and conditions are usually better and I wanted to show them the Pipe Line under La Tuque.

Our new tip maybe something like this now, St. Michel east on 360 and stay at Auberg Riviere Mattawin the first night (I’ve done this run before and it worked out well).

Here’s my next question. In the morning head to the pipe line refuel in La Tuque and then retrack back down. Jump on 347 and take the river south and then west on 318 to possibly Sacacomie. Do you think this is more than 180 miles. The Pipe Line is a nice smooth 20 mile each way and the river is about 20 miles so there’s 60 miles of not so hard riding. I’m trying to consider the other two riders in my group, I could push 200+ miles but I would rather keep it under that with them.

Thanks

Rick M

Not sure what map you are looking some numbers have been changed, no more 347 its a local but no problem there and 318 is now 23 there. Try this to plan your routes its pretty close for mileage.

http://viaexplora.com/snowmobile/index.html

The way i see it the day to La Tuque from Mattawin and the back to Sacacomie is about 195-200 miles. Give or take.

Edited by iceman