Any one want to place bets??

artcat900

The AccuWeather.com Canada Winter Forecast October 15, 2013; 4:50 PM

I am posting this today for my readers. I will break down the three winter months (maps) in terms of temperature and precipitation departures on my next blog.

The winter of 2013/14 will bring plenty of snow to ski/snowboard resorts in both the West and East, though the West will get off to a much quicker start, as cold air gets established during November and December from the Rockies to the central Prairies.

590x331_10131628_2013-14-canada-winter-t

Despite the milder temperatures during December and January, an active storm track will bring plenty of snow opportunities to ski country in eastern Canada, while mixed precipitation will be more common over southern Ontario.

590x331_10131629_2013-14-canada-winter-s

Below is a breakdown of the forecast by region.......

The West Coast, including Vancouver, will have a changeable winter with drier-than-normal conditions for December before more typical winter storminess returns in January.

Temperatures will average close to normal for the first half of the winter then trend above normal for the second half of the season.

Snowfall along the Coast Range in British Columbia will be typical for an average winter with the greatest potential for heavy snowfall coming in January and early February.

--------

The winter will get off to a strong start across much of the Prairie region with shots of Arctic air being directed south from the Yukon Territory. This will result in increasing opportunities for accumulating snowfall over southern and western Alberta, including Calgary.

Average snowfall is expected for the central Prairies (Saskatoon) this winter, but below average for the eastern Prairies, including Winnipeg, especially the second half of the winter as a seasonably cold, but dry flow of air takes over.

--------

An active storm track through the Great Lakes during December and into a part of January will lead to above-normal precipitation this winter over a large portion of eastern Canada.

Snowfall will end up higher than normal from the upper Great Lakes through most of Quebec, including Montreal and up into Labrador. Farther south in Ontario, from Windsor to Toronto and Kingston, the milder pattern during December and January will lead to more mixed precipitation events, which will cut down on the potential for heavier snowfall.

Despite the increase in natural snowfall, snow-making in the eastern and Atlantic Canada resorts could be a challenge the first half of the winter due to the higher temperatures and humidity.

A drier, colder pattern is expected to take over in Ontario and western Quebec during February, as the storm track shifts toward the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

Due to the warmer start of winter in the East, lake-effect snowfall across the snow belts of Ontario will be lighter than usual for December and the first half of January before becoming heavier than normal for the second half of the winter, with more sustained invasions of Arctic air moving over the mostly unfrozen Great Lakes.

------

The combination of the prevailing storm track and above-normal sea surface temperatures will lead to a mild winter in the temperature department for Atlantic Canada.

December and January will be less stormy than usual from Halifax, NS, to Charlottetown, PEI, with a lack of Arctic air.

A pattern change by February will bring slightly colder air and more storms from Saint John, NB, to St. John's, Newfoundland.

As I live on the same level of latitude as California and call "Southwestern Ontario" home....I have been looking at options since last winter as my towing costs are huge. This map just shows me what I already know....I won't be jumping on the trail here at home lol.

I won't give up the sled, but this giant truck and trailer? Well...we will see. For this winter I have all my Quebec, Ontario and Michigan permits...there will be snow somewhere. My job is to find it.

Cheers!

Linda

For sure each night in Quebec this winter will be a 100% chance of darkness I know that for sure. Beyond that time will tell. I sure hope this winter is like the winter of 07-08 when I got my last new sled. Snow just would not stop that season.

Yes I have two absolutes

1 we will have winter above average snow fall

2my sled will out shine Florida snow mans six days from Sunday. He can have Sunday because I'm a sport

Hey Jesse,

Your sled might be shinier & cleaner but I'll be sure to wait for you anytime I make a turn to another trail. Wouldn't want you to get lost! Haha

Snowman

For sure each night in Quebec this winter will be a 100% chance of darkness I know that for sure. Beyond that time will tell. I sure hope this winter is like the winter of 07-08 when I got my last new sled. Snow just would not stop that season.

From your mouth to the Snow Gods ears Don! I remember that year very well. The snow was up to the gutters of the houses in Shawinigan!

As soon as this wedding (my son tomorrow) is over...I will get the boots on and the prayers ready.

There will be snow...somewhere.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Iceman,

Hope your area gets snow early, I would love to hit the trails around the area just before Christmas if the club has all ready to go, had to trailer up further to Le Cabannon last Christmas.

Keep the posts coming, I already started the snow dance.

LINDA , i have the best solution for your fuel costs when trailering all the way down here ,,, STAY LONGER OR BOOK OFF FOR THE WINTER ,, I have met some american sledders that do just that .. come to quebec and stay for atleast a month , maybe rent a house up north as abase camp.. LOOK at all the fun you will have..

Hi Santa!

I love the way you think!!

I am booking some stuff right now as a matter of fact lol

I might need to hit the Charlevoix region this year too!

As for December...I want to ride! Early!

Linda