New Trail?

scorpionbowl

That's not a new trail Scorpionbowl, it's been around for years, i rode right by it coming down from Joncas to Rapides des Joachins in '08, at that time there was no gas stop from RdJ to Temiscaming about 240klms then but the last few years i heard there has been someone selling gas along the way, not sure where or who but last year that trail was closed and i was told to ask about it when you're in the region because if does open it will be announced only locally. I've been watching that area since i rode by it in '08 would love to make that run.The gas stop attendant in RdJ told me that the trail is groomed on a abandoned highway project from the 70's.

That's not a new trail Scorpionbowl, it's been around for years, i rode right by it coming down from Joncas to Rapides des Joachins in '08, at that time there was no gas stop from RdJ to Temiscaming about 240klms then but the last few years i heard there has been someone selling gas along the way, not sure where or who but last year that trail was closed and i was told to ask about it when you're in the region because if does open it will be announced only locally. I've been watching that area since i rode by it in '08 would love to make that run.The gas stop attendant in RdJ told me that the trail is groomed on a abandoned highway project from the 70's. " Gas Station Attendant" Are you talking about the gas station on the left side of the road along the river, where the trail brings you 2 in RDJ ? Thanks

I have done that trail numerous times over the past several years and its very high speed it covers over 100 miles. Some years its closed due to logging. The Dragon camp folks have gas so getting from Swisha to Temiscamingue was never an issue. Its a nice loop leave Friday to Val Dor and come back via this trail on Sunday. Back in 2006 my brother and I left from Quyon and used this trail to make our trip to Notre Dame du Nord possible it was 450 miles up on Saturday and 450 miles back on Sunday. If that trail was not there we would never had made it to Notre Dame du Nord.

I have done that trail numerous times over the past several years and its very high speed it covers over 100 miles. Some years its closed due to logging. The Dragon camp folks have gas so getting from Swisha to Temiscamingue was never an issue. Its a nice loop leave Friday to Val Dor and come back via this trail on Sunday. Back in 2006 my brother and I left from Quyon and used this trail to make our trip to Notre Dame du Nord possible it was 450 miles up on Saturday and 450 miles back on Sunday. If that trail was not there we would never had made it to Notre Dame du Nord.

Looks like this Dragon camp is closed for this season

http://www.voyageurssurneige.com/page04.html

That's not a new trail Scorpionbowl, it's been around for years, i rode right by it coming down from Joncas to Rapides des Joachins in '08, at that time there was no gas stop from RdJ to Temiscaming about 240klms then but the last few years i heard there has been someone selling gas along the way, not sure where or who but last year that trail was closed and i was told to ask about it when you're in the region because if does open it will be announced only locally. I've been watching that area since i rode by it in '08 would love to make that run.The gas stop attendant in RdJ told me that the trail is groomed on a abandoned highway project from the 70's. " Gas Station Attendant" Are you talking about the gas station on the left side of the road along the river, where the trail brings you 2 in RDJ ? Thanks

Yes, was an older gentleman.

Yes, was an older gentleman. SAQ at the gas stop too.

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff, thanks. Not much room for error without the gas stop...

I would love to do this ride but I am with Scorpion bowl not much room for error. Fresh snow or one wrong turn and your are walking out of fuel. Trailblazer's post shows it was approx 240 km or 150 miles on the previous trail. I followed the links to the clubs in this area and have not had a lot of luck in getting info or distances other than the first 20km will be a reroute due to a forestry operation. Sounds like extra fuel will be in order to do this ride. If anyone has any new info I would love to hear it.

Andy

No gas in Duex Riveres gas in Stonecliffe and Matawa both are on the other side of the Ottawa river and not accessable from this Quebec side trail.

Thank you Jeff. Excellent post with factual info! So from what I understand the river does not freeze and no bridges to cross? So it would be a run fromTemiscaming to Rapides des Joachims before any fuel would be available? I have zero experience in this area so any info from people like yourself is very much appreciated!!!

Andy

Pic is new bridge just completed on the Matane River!

post-14-0-08539200-1385745788_thumb.jpg