Trail Pass Confusion

gizz

I've heard many different answers as to where the money goes when you purchase a trail pass for Quebec. The problem i have is this......I've ridden in most areas of quebec and have experienced mostly good to great conditions. However without naming particular places, i 've also witnessed horrendous condition due to what i consider lack of grooming. Yes traffic can play a role and i understand that in those areas but there are what i would call connector trails (ie 355 between La Tuque and Lac St Jean) that sometimes become an argument between clubs and therefore get neglected. Here's my question and my concern. I'm seeing more and more online sales for passes and that's great for a convenience so that we can get them ahead of time but is it true that if you purchase your pass from a certain club all the money goes to that clubs area? In other words how do the "remote" less popular sections get the money needed to groom their sections so that when I come saddlebagging through I have nice trails. It's not in the best interest of snowmobilers if "only a few clubs" get all the money. If you ride only those places then i guess it makes sense for you but if you saddlebag across the province you are more concerned that the money is evenly disbursed. I like the idea that you can buy them online however the smaller clubs might not be able to advertise or build a website to do that. Are we hurting them by purchasing from a select few?

Does anyone really know how it all works? I just want to do what's best for the entire province but from what i can tell there is no option to spread it evenly across the province. Between the 6 or so of us that will be going this year we'll spend 1500 to 2000 in trail passes. I'd like to see it spread evenly but is that possible?

This is a difficult question every year. Buy where you ride doesn't make sense, because most of us ride over much of the province, so you buy one trail pass, but use trails from 50 clubs or so. I try not to buy from the "popular" clubs since they get plenty of money. I also won't buy from the unorganized clubs like the one North of Lac Edouard, it may be a noble cause to buy from them to give them more resources, but that's flushing it down the toilet. Buying from the remote clubs is also a noble cause, but can be difficult, although the internet does make it easier. I try to buy from a different region every year and yet there are still several areas I ride a lot but haven't bought from them. If I can find a good link [or someone can forward me one] to a Chibougamau area club, I will get mine there this year.

Great post and If I was you I would send it to the FCMQ but you can check this out

http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/index1.asp?id=144

It’s a complex equation as how the clubs gets funded but most of the clubs wouldn’t survive with trail pass sales only. Clubs are also receiving subsidies from the FCMQ via http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/ from our ownerships. I think it`s $40.00 per ownerships that get redistributed through out the clubs.

How is it working?? Well as I mentioned above it is a complex equation. How much money does a club gets from the FCMQ depend on the amount of members versus the amount of kilometers to groom versus weeks of grooming . If a club with 1,000 members and 150 kms of grooming will likely gets much much less subsidies from the FCMQ versus a club with 150 members and 600 kms of grooming. The system is not perfect and there always will be poor clubs and rich clubs

Great post and If I was you I would send it to the FCMQ but you can check this out

http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/index1.asp?id=144

It’s a complex equation as how the clubs gets funded but most of the clubs wouldn’t survive with trail pass sales only. Clubs are also receiving subsidies from the FCMQ via http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/ from our ownerships. I think it`s $40.00 per ownerships that get redistributed through out the clubs.

How is it working?? Well as I mentioned above it is a complex equation. How much money does a club gets from the FCMQ depend on the amount of members versus the amount of kilometers to groom versus weeks of grooming . If a club with 1,000 members and 150 kms of grooming will likely gets much much less subsidies from the FCMQ versus a club with 150 members and 600 kms of grooming. The system is not perfect and there always will be poor clubs and rich clubs[/quote

Well said. For a lot of us who ride Quebec's fine trails each winter the desire to aid the clubs and trails in our traditional jumping-off spots relates back to those venues where we first began our saddle-bagging excursions. Many of those clubs are near areas, while not "urban"', are relatively close to civilization.

Those who seek to traverse greater distances........ Those true "Quebec Riders" who's single trip jaunts entail 1500 mile weeks, or more, will traverse 10 to 15 (or more) club jurisdictions on a single ride. Mayhaps we should be mindful of the more remote clubs whose trails enable us to enjoy the true interconnectivity that enables to enjoy la belle province each winter.

BUY, WITH AN EYE, TO THE NETWORK!

I'll do my best to buy my trail permits with that in mind. that wisdom dawns slowly. I bought my first trail Quebec trail permit in 1980 ;-).

Just to add more food for thought, I (we) have been through areas that were not kept very good and then crossing into the next region it could be perfect. Is it because the "bad area" didn't have the money or was it for other reasons? So do I send my money to the club hat kicks ass or the one that seemingly doesn't?

Grumpysanta said they are working on a better allocation and I'm anxious for that to happen. Maybe if the FCMQ handles ALL the permits it would take that administrative load off of the clubs and allow them to focus on trails instead of raising funds.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy your passes at different clubs if you are buying 6 or more , some availble on line or get a phone # from fcmq and call to order . some you can send cheque or the email the amout from your bank . some even use paypal . i always just waited for the check to come , never had a problem.

Buy from Groomer, he looks after everything! Fill this out and email it to hallejg@gmail.com, he will courier it to you. Send him your cc number on the bottom. This is one way to say thanks for all the pictures!

Just my thoughts.

Quebec Trail Pass.pdf

This is a difficult question every year. Buy where you ride doesn't make sense, because most of us ride over much of the province, so you buy one trail pass, but use trails from 50 clubs or so. I try not to buy from the "popular" clubs since they get plenty of money. I also won't buy from the unorganized clubs like the one North of Lac Edouard, it may be a noble cause to buy from them to give them more resources, but that's flushing it down the toilet. Buying from the remote clubs is also a noble cause, but can be difficult, although the internet does make it easier. I try to buy from a different region every year and yet there are still several areas I ride a lot but haven't bought from them. If I can find a good link [or someone can forward me one] to a Chibougamau area club, I will get mine there this year.

Hi Gary

Try this link to the Chapais club for your pass.

Andy

http://www.clubmotoneige.com/

Hi Gary

Try this link to the Chapais club for your pass.

Andy

http://www.clubmotoneige.com/

Hi Andy!

That's the farthest North Club isn't it Andy? The Chibougamau Place? I remember the first time I ever heard of that place...we were having hot chocolate...

Hope to get there one of these times.

Happy Trails!

Linda

post-875-0-37375200-1385900109_thumb.jpg

PS I still think $300 is cheap for all these trails and clubs.

Edited by lindasledgirl

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely not complaining about the price either, never have. I just want to make sure the places that need the money get the money. The back of the sticker says it all, the club gets the bulk of the money and some goes to the FCMQ hopefully for redistribution to wherever it's needed. I think we have a plan this year that will buy from 4 different clubs in the areas we ride, that's the best I can do. We also do a late season 3 day run with our older teenage kids to wherever there's snow in mid to late march. We buy those passes at the place where we end up going so that helps as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely not complaining about the price either, never have. I just want to make sure the places that need the money get the money. The back of the sticker says it all, the club gets the bulk of the money and some goes to the FCMQ hopefully for redistribution to wherever it's needed. I think we have a plan this year that will buy from 4 different clubs in the areas we ride, that's the best I can do. We also do a late season 3 day run with our older teenage kids to wherever there's snow in mid to late march. We buy those passes at the place where we end up going so that helps as well.

Hi Gizz

I like the way you think. I bought 5 permits this year, from 4 clubs. I try to spread the money too. And I sponsored a map for a region.

All good!

Linda

I have read everyone's post and there is one thing that no one has addressed. On the above pie graph there is the one I don't agree with. Now let it be known I am not from Quebec or Canada even so if you think it's none of my business, so be it. The part of the pie is, TAXES, From the time anyone starts a snowmobile adventure we pay a tax on fuel for our truck, motels, gas for the sleds, food etc. Now that tax is 10 percent plus and couldn't a small club in the trail system use that money for fuel, labor costs and parts for their groomer so they could afford to groom more often. That way the trails we all encounter that are not as nice as the clubs with more members would be up to par and everyone would be happy. These only my bitches and I do believe Taxes in Canada and USA are too high but why is it up to the clubs to raise money for the governments where we ride. I expect to hear there is nothing that can be done but I feel some one should try.

After everything I have said the trails in Quebec are best to ride on and the people that run the clubs are truly saints for doing it for all of us.

I have read everyone's post and there is one thing that no one has addressed. On the above pie graph there is the one I don't agree with. Now let it be known I am not from Quebec or Canada even so if you think it's none of my business, so be it. The part of the pie is, TAXES, From the time anyone starts a snowmobile adventure we pay a tax on fuel for our truck, motels, gas for the sleds, food etc. Now that tax is 10 percent plus and couldn't a small club in the trail system use that money for fuel, labor costs and parts for their groomer so they could afford to groom more often. That way the trails we all encounter that are not as nice as the clubs with more members would be up to par and everyone would be happy. These only my bitches and I do believe Taxes in Canada and USA are too high but why is it up to the clubs to raise money for the governments where we ride. I expect to hear there is nothing that can be done but I feel some one should try.

After everything I have said the trails in Quebec are best to ride on and the people that run the clubs are truly saints for doing it for all of us.

Great post and one that many are likely say "he is right!!" There is a lot of money spent on snowmibling in Canada each year, roughly $8 BILLION!, The economic impact of snowmobiling on the economy in Quebec is appriximately $2 BILLION per year. There is money goes back into snowmobiling in Quebec every year from tax dollars. There are many infrastructure projects that are cost shared with both provincial and federal dollars. A person can never loose sight of the fact that some of these huge bridges that are built throughout the province didn't get built solely on trail permit dollars. With enviromental regulations as they are today putting in a simple 18" diameter culvert for a cross drain on the trail can cost well over $1000. So are taxes being put back into snowmobiling? Yes, Every provincial snowmobile association/federation along with the National organization representing snowmobiling in Canada are working very hard as we speak trying to get a bigger piece of the yax dollar pie. Will more tax dollars be directed to snowmobiling? Yes. I believe there will be some some big annocements before March for snowmobiling in Canada. People buying permits are expecting more and more for there permit dollars every year, the sad thing is the number of volunteers to help do the work are dropping. It is hard to see big changes with this see saw effect.

Just my thoughts

Great post and one that many are likely say "he is right!!" There is a lot of money spent on snowmibling in Canada each year, roughly $8 BILLION!, The economic impact of snowmobiling on the economy in Quebec is appriximately $2 BILLION per year. There is money goes back into snowmobiling in Quebec every year from tax dollars. There are many infrastructure projects that are cost shared with both provincial and federal dollars. A person can never loose sight of the fact that some of these huge bridges that are built throughout the province didn't get built solely on trail permit dollars. With enviromental regulations as they are today putting in a simple 18" diameter culvert for a cross drain on the trail can cost well over $1000. So are taxes being put back into snowmobiling? Yes, Every provincial snowmobile association/federation along with the National organization representing snowmobiling in Canada are working very hard as we speak trying to get a bigger piece of the yax dollar pie. Will more tax dollars be directed to snowmobiling? Yes. I believe there will be some some big annocements before March for snowmobiling in Canada. People buying permits are expecting more and more for there permit dollars every year, the sad thing is the number of volunteers to help do the work are dropping. It is hard to see big changes with this see saw effect.

Just my thoughts

Good insight and posts by both of you. I 1st agreed with shore1066 but as long as the tax money is being put back into the trail system it is a good tax. If there is such a thing?

After reading your post i do understand a lot more about how the tax money is being put back in to the trail systems. I guess my point I was getting to was how to get more money back to the small clubs to also build bridges and put in culverts. I read this web page a lot and it kinda is upsetting to me when some do say something negative about a trail and maybe the club just was out of money to groom. No matter what the trails in Quebec 99 percent of the time are top of the line and the clubs should be very proud of them selves. For myself I live in North Carolina and come to Quebec every year and never once had a bad ride.

Hopefully there's not too much Obama-nomics in Quebec. I want to believe that some taxes go to good use. Does anyone think about tipping the first-responders when the poop hits the fan and they show up at all hours in all conditions for not so hot pay funded by taxes?

Speaking of gratuities: Think about showing up at the head of a beat trail that you need to run to connect your loop. How much beer money would we part with to make it smooth? Keep that much in your sleeve pocket and hand it the groomer operators that you pass.

And the bottom line is: NEVER GO WITH SCORPIONBOWL UP THE 355 FROM LAC EDOUARD TO THE LAKE, CUZ I HEAR HE HAS CRAPPY LUCK OVER THERE!

"And the bottom line is: NEVER GO WITH SCORPIONBOWL UP THE 355 FROM LAC EDOUARD TO THE LAKE, CUZ I HEAR HE HAS CRAPPY LUCK OVER THERE!"

Ha, too funny. But true.