Update St. Zenon

iceman

I agree with mcstar and chances are by the time you go it will be fine. I don't know how many times you have been up in that area but we stopped staying in St. Donat many years ago just because the better snow was always north. There are many places up around the St. Zenon/St Michel area and you could still make a day trip or two south from there

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are supposed to stay in St Donat next Saturday (10 days from now)...and a few days at Bazinete. I am hoping more snow falls. I have seen posts that some are changing their plans on riding Quebec and are going UP Michigan. Problem is I already have a Chalet paid for in St Donat....and a deposit down at Bazinete. Do I wait to see what the trails will be like in 10 days...or try to get refund and head to UP Michigan. Not really looking to trailer 13 hours....but better than trailering 10 hours for nothing.

Just one more thing to consider.... there is no guarantee that UP will still be good 10 days from now. In other words, I think it's a gamble either way. I did hear on a few weather sites that there is a pattern change happening that will bring PA back to what winter should be. This change starts over the next few days and lasts to early-med February. So I would think QC would benefit from this patter also.

Trails are very good in this area! Lots of snow. 230 miles today. Went south on 23 to St. Damien, 63 to Saint Emelie, Coin Lavign for Lunch. Then 33 up around Lac Tareau and back to Zenon.

So judging from some of these reports the trails don't seem that bad after all. Like I said...not looking for excellent, just good enough to ride safely. The St Donat trail report says good to very good from St Donat to coign Levine and their local trail also rated as very good. That's better than I thought. Bazinet is pretty far north so maybe the trails that way will be better?

Keep the updated reports coming please and I will likely wait a bit before changing plans.

600IQHO....Wow....the trails were that good? Happy to hear that...but yesterday so many people seemed to be down on the trails. Maybe they hadn't actually ridden them? Did you ride past Bazinet? We would be staying there in a few days and would likely be riding 63.

You found it mxz700rider but for the others, detailed St-Donat trail conditions here (was updated today):http://www.motoneigestdonat.com/Trail-conditions otherwise, the general trail conditions for lanaudiere mauricie http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/

From my past experience, if the base is still good after the thaw, a Dozer pass to cruch the top and it give fast higways. If you get the chance to get an inch or more of fluffy over you shift from good to perfect ... The north have already been worked yesterday and with tonight cold and tomorroy night, the dozers will cover most of the trails even those souther near home.

stay a notch on the safe side for unexpected icy spot or curve but right now all reports I read from french forums and here from 600IQHO call for good to excellent conditions...

I just stopped at the dealer to buy a new set on snowtrackers to have sharp carbides under the front end and we will be on the trails saturday for sure...

Alain

Alain...thanks. I am now leaning back toward not changing my plans to come to Quebec St Donat next Saturday. Hopefully a few inches here and there and continued cold will improve trails further. So sounds like trails are rideable and not crazy unsafe. Hopefully true?

600IQHO....Wow....the trails were that good? Happy to hear that...but yesterday so many people seemed to be down on the trails. Maybe they hadn't actually ridden them? Did you ride past Bazinet? We would be staying there in a few days and would likely be riding 63.

Stupid phone, I will try again.

Yes, I was past the Bazinet today. Trail is good. We are just 3 or 4 inches of fresh snow away from being perfect.

Thanks...Update me on trails as you feel you can. Like I said....my brother and I will be starting out from St Donat next Saturday/Sunday and will probably ride to Coin Lavigne. I am seeing where St Come area not so good? Will also be staying at Bazinet before we head home and hope to ride out to Real Masse's for a good burger!

Good luck. If you get the chance pls report back on the bag trip.

Passable. 355 has some bad sections. Some areas of snirt. North of La Tuque is a lot better coverage. Whoa! 83 fast and sweet as always!

Thanks...Update me on trails as you feel you can. Like I said....my brother and I will be starting out from St Donat next Saturday/Sunday and will probably ride to Coin Lavigne. I am seeing where St Come area not so good? Will also be staying at Bazinet before we head home and hope to ride out to Real Masse's for a good burger!

OK.... just coming back from a 330miles today from home to St-Zenon to Marineau by #360 trail round-trip :yahoo: Conditions are even better than what I had expected! You can relax MXZ700rider, you won't be deceived here. I'm with dooright statement "Hard base , plenty of cover still. scratchers not needed , good carbide and studs recommended" imo more important the carbides, have something under your ski that can handle a icy curve and keep you on your side. if you have studs(or an ice ripper like me) it's nice but not mandatory.

I'm busy ouside tomorroy sunday, will do my ride report on monday and post it as soon as possible...you will have a bunch of pics!!!

after those miles the night will be soooooooooo goooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye!!! i go to do an other 300 miles tonight in my dreams!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alain

Looking forward to the picture report. Still think you should have your own publication.

And all those businesses in the area should be thanking you with free meals and gas for all you do. You don't realize how much it helps those of us that are 10 hours away to see and hear honest reports(good or bad but we like the good reports the best!). Thanks! I'll be up in 2 weeks

Edited by gizz

Alain....Thanks so much for the honest report. Our sleds are not studded...but we will just take it slow into turns. I may have a new set of carbides put on the sleds before we head up. I am so glad to hear that trails are rideable and sounds like a click or two above fair. There is loose coverage on ice base in most places? Looking forward to some trail picks. You are awesome to keep us updated. Looks like I have no reason to cancel plans to come up in a week. Thanks again!

Alain...you said you started your 330 miler from home. Where is home for you? I believe you said it is south area of Lanaudiere. Just curious how the riding is in southern areas. From my experiences areas like Joliette do worse with rain than areas farther north. Hopefully Donat is as good as areas you have reported on. I am sure the roads in town will be thin....but they always are and it is only a short distance before on trail again.