2014 Jack & Sandi's First Trip

revct1

Hi Everyone,

We are here! Yea!

We arrived in Chicoutimi last night. There was snow all the way thru Quebec. It looks more like mid season than the end of December.

We're told that the snowmobile trail does cross on the aluminum bridge. A little light snow overnight.

Sandi and I are going out for our first ride today. We'll report back later. It does look good out there.

Time for breakfast.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack, look forward to your report, hope you and Sandi have a great time and new sled is as good as the conditions, and you got new boot !!!! LOL . But don't mention the ribs !

Pat and Gary

Hi Pat & Gary. Glad to see you are reading and haven't forgotten about your friends just across the pond.

Hi Bill & JD. I see your on too.

Well we are back at the hotel. It was a good first day of riding. The aluminum bridge is open to snowmobile traffic but not cars. The trail goes right down the middle of the bridge. It looks like the bridge is getting refurbished. After crossing the second bridge, we turned right onto the local trail. I forget the number of the trail. We followed this trail to 93 and then went straight. This is the section of 93 that was rerouted last year. Then we got on 367 heading northwest. The morning trails were very good. Fresh snow in the order of 4" to 12" fell last night. Wonderful.

Our lunch stop is Scooby Raid. We are early so a few snowmobilers are here but we beat the crowd. We had a good lunch and said hi to mom and dad there. By the time we leave, there are maybe 30 other people. Ah, it is nice to get back on the trail.

We head down the local trail thru Lamarche. and continue towards Relais des Lacs. We turn left heading east on 328 just before the relais. These local trails are a little on the rough side. Passable but not as nice as the trails this morning. The 328 is better heading to Begin. It is starting to snow again. In the fields after Begin it is snowing pretty hard. I'm glad the stakes are in the fields. We hit 367 and turn right heading south towards St Ambroise.

In the past few years this section was bad. This year it is great. We pass Le Giante trailer park and it couldn't get better. Looks like it was groomed recently with a few inches of fresh powder. Back to the two bridges and to the hotel.

We saw a few sleds but not much traffic overall. Oh it is good to b e sledding again.

The weather channel is predicting 10 cm over the next 36 hours. Oh boy.

Until tomorrow, happy trails to you.

Jack & Sandi

A postscript. The new sled performed very well today on its maiden voyage. Very smooth, comfortable and handles great. It even got me back on the trail when I missed a turn to the left. Embarrassment. I must have forgotten how to turn the handlebars over the summer.

The new sled is the same as my 2011 Renegade but it has r-motion.

The new Choko suit is toasty too.

Jack

Pat is jumping for joy at the thought of being able to drive down the middle of the bridge ! You know see hates going over the mogles and is drawn to the edge. Glad you had a great first ride, looking forward to next report stay safe.

Gary

Hi Mike,

Being semi-retired helps. I thought we might be able to get a short ride in before Christmas because there was early snow, but it didn't happen.

Hi Gary,

We thought of Pat when we crossed the bridge. You ride right down the middle of the bridge (for now).

We are heading to breakfast. Snowing still from overnight. The prediction is 10 - 15 cm over the next 36 hours. Then the temperature is going to plummet, -30 C.

Jack & Sandi

We are back from todays ride. We are staying at La Sagueneenne in Chicoutimi. I forgot to mention that yesterday. This is where we stay from Christmas to the New Year each year.

This morning we leave heading east on 83 towards La Baie and then we turn right heading west on 368. A light snow makes the trials wonderful. We stay on 368 until the 23 intersection and then turn right heading north. 83 and 368 were groomed last night and are perfect. Only one sled track on the trail in front of us. 368 has been opened up and widened in many places. It is really, really nice. 23 is a little rougher but still good. We meet a little traffic heading south on 23. Our lunch stop is to be Relais Auberge Presbytere just before Hebertville.

In the past we have stopped here for coffee / hot chocolate but never for lunch. It is too close to the hotel as a lunch stop. Today we plan the ride so we can be here for lunch. We arrive just after 11 AM. No other snowmobilers here, great. We go downstairs to the restaurant area. A nice fire going in the fireplace. The owner's son is visiting for the holidays. He speaks very good English. That helps with lunch. We have a very good meal, soup and a club sandwich, and head back out on the trail.

We continue on 23 north and stop for gas in Hebertville. We keep going up to Hebertville Station and turn right heading east on 383. A few changes in the trail here but marked well. We ride 383 to 83 and back to Chicoutimi. 83 has been changed at Cepal. 83 no longer goes thru their parking lot. There is a new bridge that the trail goes across over the creek. This is an improvement for Cepal and the snowmobiles. 383 and 83 are in great shape. A few sleds out this afternoon but not much traffic overall.

The conditions are great. Best ride so far this season. Oh yea, it is only the second day! I hope the rest of the trip is this good.

10 - 15 cm of fluffy snow today. Temperature just above 0 F.

Until tomorrow,

Jack & Sandi

This morning it is -20 C. We leave the hotel and turn right on 83 heading west. We are going to Mont Valin today. We cross the two dams and turn right on local trail 134 to 93 where we turn right and head toward Mont Valin.

The trails are excellent. They were groomed last night and have 3" - 6" of fresh snow. We are the first sleds on the trail. Yipee! We stop in St Honore to top off the tanks and continue on 93. Perfect conditions. The sun is out and the trails are great. After crossing the junction of 328, 93 has been widened and straightened somewhat. Improved over last year. 93 is the best I have seen it in a long time. After the old turn off that goes to the top of the Mount Valin (radio tower), 93 isn't fresh groomed but still very good. A few bumps in the corners but still really nice.

We arrive at La Chapelle at 11 AM. No one else is here. We order some soup and a light lunch. Relax and warm up a bit. It is still -20 C on the mountain. Clear skies and a beautiful day. A few more sleds pull in. We finish up lunch and head out.

The return trip is the same route we took this morning. The trails have a little more wear on them from the days traffic but still overall very nice. Nothing beats a good day of riding.

Back at the hotel. Looking forward to a hot shower and a good meal.

I might have to wear the long underwear tomorrow. High temp around -25 C.

Jack & Sandi

I asked at the front desk and they have empty rooms. Do you want me to reserve one for you?

Jack

Sounds great with low traffic. If you hurry and head to Chibougamau, there showing a low of -44F for Wed. morning!

-44 F. That is what we love!

Jack (not Sandi)

This morning it is -20 C. We leave the hotel and turn right on 83 heading west. We are going to Mont Valin today. We cross the two dams and turn right on local trail 134 to 93 where we turn right and head toward Mont Valin.

The trails are excellent. They were groomed last night and have 3" - 6" of fresh snow. We are the first sleds on the trail. Yipee! We stop in St Honore to top off the tanks and continue on 93. Perfect conditions. The sun is out and the trails are great. After crossing the junction of 328, 93 has been widened and straightened somewhat. Improved over last year. 93 is the best I have seen it in a long time. After the old turn off that goes to the top of the Mount Valin (radio tower), 93 isn't fresh groomed but still very good. A few bumps in the corners but still really nice.

We arrive at La Chapelle at 11 AM. No one else is here. We order some soup and a light lunch. Relax and warm up a bit. It is still -20 C on the mountain. Clear skies and a beautiful day. A few more sleds pull in. We finish up lunch and head out.

The return trip is the same route we took this morning. The trails have a little more wear on them from the days traffic but still overall very nice. Nothing beats a good day of riding.

Back at the hotel. Looking forward to a hot shower and a good meal.

I might have to wear the long underwear tomorrow. High temp around -25 C.

Jack & Sandi

Shouldn't have to wear long johns with the Choko Pants and Jacket. I never do, even at -40F. If you do you'll find out where the venting zippers on the coat. You'll be roasting.

Hi Dean,

It is -32 C this morning. It is going to warm up to -25 C today.

I'm not going to say anything bad because I remember past years that we went home early because it rained for New Years.

The good thing is the trails won't be mushy and the traffic should be light today.

Jack & Sandi

Another good ride. Cold, -30 C but good. Not many sleds out today.

We took the Clermont Express. Trail 83 to 3 to Clermont. Everything was groomed and very little traffic. We didn't see another sled until just before Clermont. We gassed up, had lunch and warmed up a bit. After lunch we made a U-turn and did the return trip back up 83. The trails were still very good due to the cold and limited traffic. There is plenty of snow all the way south.

One thing to mention. You never know what is around the next corner on a snowmobile trail. On the way back, just before the intersection of 383 to Riviere Eternite, we met a pick-up truck on the trail. We were heading north and he was heading south. Of course it was on a corner and he wasn't parked. After we went by him, I looked up toward the intersection and there is a second pick-up getting ready to pull out of 383 onto 83. I have no idea where they would have been going. The snow was way to deep for them to get off of the trail. And with that -

Happy New Year,

Jack & Sandi

Write down the plate number brand and model then report it to the local club president, just so that it doesn't happen again, maybe next time the next guy won't be as alert as you Jack.

BTW thanks for reported trail reports on your trip, always appreciated. Happy New year to you both.

Stay warm.

JG

And today's report.

It is cool this morning, -32 C, so we decide to make a late start and have the brunch at the Sag. Lots of food choices and all good.

After we finish breakfast we dress up and head out on 83 to the two dams. We take the local trail 134 to the right and go up to 93. We continue on 93 to Mt Valin. We go into the ski resort and warm up with some coffee. We are all still full from the big brunch just a little while ago.

There are a few people skiing and two more snowmobilers show up. We finish our coffee and head back down the mountain. We decide to make it a short day because of the cold and the other couple that we are riding with are going to load up and head back to the States in the morning.

The trails as expected are very good. They were groomed recently and with the cold and limited traffic are standing up very well. You would think it was mid-season with the amount of snow and low temps.

Jack & Sandi