Looking for help with trip from Fort Kent to Gaspe'

Mark5795

Leaving end of February I have maps from Gaspe' and New Brunswick and have one fro the lower St Lawrence on it's way also looking at the GPS tracks for those areas at TrakMaps.. have done a lot of reading of peoples trips I need to know a few things.. Best route from Fort Kent to Gaspe I am assuming 85 and first night stop? Why most go clockwise instead of counter clockwise? Can I cross border with open packs of protein powder and other homemade food? Jack/Buck knife? This is my 18 year olds senior trip we ride a lot so no issues there just want to prepare best I can I have ridden Quebec out of Jackman many times years ago

Days are not important we are flexible on schedule.... Wonder about US Cellular any coverage up there or shared towers and costs?

Trail passes? When you buy them do you have to designate your days there if you buy a week or do they stamp or mark them the first day you are there? Looking at day passes for New Brunswick if I have to at all and a 7 day pass for Gaspe...

Anything else anyone can think of? What not to bring and what to bring?

Thanks for any help in advance

Mark,

I can assist on a few, did the gaspe 2 yrs ago and loved it! Trail permits are either 1 day, 7 day or a seasonal pass and you must specify dates that you will be riding. Cell coverage is spotty at best, contact your carrier prior to leaving (i use verizon) and they will allow you to buy data plans for a certain amount, if not they charge you a surcharge by the mb. Hope this helps, if jack straw is on here hunt him up, Jim knows this area very well!

Best of luck,

Chris

Trail permits same price no matter where you buy. Except if caught on trail without one.

there should be no issue crossing with your food and Protein powders.

Clockwise or Counter makes no difference. Just your choice.

Not sure for the knife depending on its size. As long as it aint no Rambo Knife i think you will be allowed.

I have zero experience crossing border by sled(that is what your doing yes?) Not sure where?

Main thing is no criminal history cause if they check and anyone in group has an issue they will be denied entry.

Edited by iceman

Call me Ill answer your questions. 603 - 968 - 7 0 Two Two. Ive crossed into NB from Maine @ every boarder crossing from Houlton to Ft Kent except Madawasaka. Crossing NB is an easy days ride to Point St Croix from any on them. Mostly east - west rail beds up north in NB, fast going. Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Is the mileage from Matane to Madeline Centre around 180? using the interactive map online seems to calculate the entire Gaspe accurately wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge? Thanks

That's about right, we did Matane - Grande Vallee, 202 miles

Any suggestions on hotels in Matane and or Mont Joli? Any with secure sled parking? Thanks Could be one of the towns in between as well if they come recommended ?I

I don't think there are any places with secure sled parking there. We stay at the Riotel in Matane, park your sleds in front of your door. We stayed at a small Inn in Mt Joli after a huge dumping of snow a few years back, the highway was closed for days. We rode the highway from Mt Joli to almost Rimouski to escape the Gaspe. LOL

Did you tell your bank you were traveling out of your home country?