Looking for help with trip from Fort Kent to Gaspe'

Mark5795

Did you tell your bank you were traveling out of your home country?

Always used a credit card not a debit card

The problem could be it's a debit card

I would be sure to have cash for in case you run into a place that only accepts cash...there are some out there

As a side note a few years ago the credit cards stopped working at the pumps you have to go inside to pay with card. I always wondered why. Just figured because we're out of country.

But on the way back home last month I was told at the gas station it's because the card doesn't have a chip. If you noticed the card swipe machines now have a slot in front to insert a card, that's for cards with a chip.

When I return I'm bringing my card with a chip to test this theory

Always used a credit card not a debit card

The problem could be it's a debit card

I would be sure to have cash for in case you run into a place that only accepts cash...there are some out there

As a side note a few years ago the credit cards stopped working at the pumps you have to go inside to pay with card. I always wondered why. Just figured because we're out of country.

But on the way back home last month I was told at the gas station it's because the card doesn't have a chip. If you noticed the card swipe machines now have a slot in front to insert a card, that's for cards with a chip.

When I return I'm bringing my card with a chip to test this theory

The going inside to pay thing is often a security feature. It usually occurs when you've used the same card twice or more on the same day. The pump doesn't take it forcing you inside where your identity can be verified if need be. At least that's what I've been told.

Edited by Bluenose

Yes all set on my end with my bank just wondered if any of the more remote places or club houses would be an issue

Many clubhouses don't have facilities for electronic payments so I would recommend always carrying some cash. These days, US or Canadian dollars are pretty much interchangeable so they'll usually accept either. I have always made a point to go to an ATM in Quebec and use my bank's card to get a moderate amount of Canadian money to use anywhere I can't use a credit card.

Any suggestions for really accurate weather forecasting for the Gaspe? Headed out Friday morning this coming and want to make sure we can make it from Fort Kent Maine to Matane in the one day.. It appears we will be fine if we get an early start and don't run into any weather.. Any suggestions? Thanks