Hand Signals (Useless Information?)

PLAYHARD

Disclaimers: My buddies and I keep right & we're always willing to help others in need.

All righty then!

This topic deserves to be dragged out from time to time...

There're two factual nuggets of information that one transmits when signaling to oncoming riders:

#1) I am in 50% control of my handlebars right now

#2) I have no clue how many riders are behind the last rider in our group

There, I've said it.

(Has anyone gone through Quebec City on a Saturday recently?)

Dear Oncoming Riders,

Please just keep your TWO HANDS on your bars, and just stay on your side. Concentrate on keeping right not keeping count.

Thank You for your Co-operartion.

ps.

We will Manage just fine without stupid useless Hand Signals.

Edited by iceman

May I also add that while we don't expect hand signals or even really trust what you are signaling,it would be nice of you to crack the throttle until you pass

There is no hand signal nor light system for the most dangerous encounter on the trail, the 2 respective lead sleds. Stay right, keep your hands on the handlebars and remember once everyone in line starts with hand signals everyone now has a more dangerous encounter. Just watch how much darting takes place as you pass those who take hands off handlebars.

I have to disagree and agree at the same time, I find hand signals are very useful when an oncoming sled signals how many behind him and although the last signals a fist showing he's the last with out knowing there's another group behind him can be frustrating but he's just showing he's the last in his group. Again if the group is riding very close together (tail lighting it) then really!! There is no need for it but if the group is spaced a klm or 2 apart from each other then it can very useful information.

Imagine this and it happens to all of us if you're riding along on a long wide not so twisty well groomed trail at a good clip (while in the Zone) AND AN ON COMING SLED SIGNALS 3 BEHIND HIM, YOU MEET UP WITH ANOTHER THAN A FEW MINUTES GOES BY WITH OUT SEEING THEN NEXT TWO AND THE TRAIL changes entering a goat path forest trail, narrow and twisty and you're still in the zone and struggling to adjust your riding to the next leg of the trail, knowing there are two more oncoming sleds you're going to meet up very soon is IMO very useful information.

I have to agree that taking your hand off the bars to signal could be and is a dangerous choice but riders have to use common sense, removing your hand in a tight twisty trail does not justify but in a wide well groomed stretch fine and if your sled is a darting sled then again common sense to not remove one hand, aside from removing one hand we soon forget about the other distractions that tend to take our attention off the trail which are just as evenly worse if you're not looking where your going, reading your gps, taking a phone call, looking at your rpms, your mphs, adjusting handle bar and thumb warmers. Those activities do take our attention from the trail and we do this unconsciously of course and believe what's 1 or 2 seconds going to do but IMO it's worse than riding with one hand it's riding blind.

Just my 2 cents

I have to agree with Trailblazer 100%, (his 2 cents if worth a lot!) just last week I had a similar situation where the lead guy of the oncoming group (I was up front of ours ) signaled 2 more , the first was not far behind then nothing for a while, I even started to think that he just did it on purpose or made a mistake but I kept my guard and every blind turn I almost stopped then "wham" he comes around a turn, see's me panic's, nails the break, track slide's good thing I was still on alert!

Now he probably stopped for something and now is on a mission to catch up (which I do when I am in the back and need to catch up).

Again hand signals are good depending on situation and safety.

Dear Oncoming Riders,

Please just keep your TWO HANDS on your bars, and just stay on your side. Concentrate on keeping right not keeping count.

Thank You for your Co-operartion.

ps.

We will Manage just fine without stupid useless Hand Signals.

X2, Please stay right,it could be hours but there is ALWAYS someone coming the other way ! Thank You

No one should depend on Hand Signals. If you adjust just because you meet a group then guess what? You probably ride the middle.

If you ride the right and I mean RIGHT. Not right half of trail, i am talking on the all the way right. You need no information.

Useless.

Edited by iceman

You may be able to argue that 0.1% of the time they may be helpfull, but I'd rather see hands on the bars and under control on the right. Just as likely is you hit a stump or ice chunk with one arm in the air and it kicks you to center, I've seen it and been hit. The bigger problem is meeting the groomer coming at you with no room...

I say it every year. "Hand signals.............Stop the insanity". They are out of control. Groomer, trail hazard...........I'll take that. For all the rest. I'll keep 2 hands on the bars and stay on my side, you keep 2 hands on your bars and stay on your side and I don't care how many are coming.

I have to agree with Trailblazer 100%, (his 2 cents if worth a lot!) just last week I had a similar situation where the lead guy of the oncoming group (I was up front of ours ) signaled 2 more , the first was not far behind then nothing for a while, I even started to think that he just did it on purpose or made a mistake but I kept my guard and every blind turn I almost stopped then "wham" he comes around a turn, see's me panic's, nails the break, track slide's good thing I was still on alert!

Now he probably stopped for something and now is on a mission to catch up (which I do when I am in the back and need to catch up).

Again hand signals are good depending on situation and safety.

I have to agree. Everyone says stay right, which is obvious. Thing is there are a lot of areas on a lot of trails where unless your right ski is on the woods, your left ski will be near the center of the trail, particularly around corners. I like knowing when there's 'one more' I'm expecting to come around the corner at me at any second. As far as keeping both hands on the wheel, when I'm passing someone going the opposite direction, I've slow way down already because most trails aren't wide enough to pass safely at speed.

Feel free to signal to me just not that 'middle' signal. :)

I have to disagree and agree at the same time, I find hand signals are very useful when an oncoming sled signals how many behind him and although the last signals a fist showing he's the last with out knowing there's another group behind him can be frustrating but he's just showing he's the last in his group. Again if the group is riding very close together (tail lighting it) then really!! There is no need for it but if the group is spaced a klm or 2 apart from each other then it can very useful information.

Imagine this and it happens to all of us if you're riding along on a long wide not so twisty well groomed trail at a good clip (while in the Zone) AND AN ON COMING SLED SIGNALS 3 BEHIND HIM, YOU MEET UP WITH ANOTHER THAN A FEW MINUTES GOES BY WITH OUT SEEING THEN NEXT TWO AND THE TRAIL changes entering a goat path forest trail, narrow and twisty and you're still in the zone and struggling to adjust your riding to the next leg of the trail, knowing there are two more oncoming sleds you're going to meet up very soon is IMO very useful information.

I have to agree that taking your hand off the bars to signal could be and is a dangerous choice but riders have to use common sense, removing your hand in a tight twisty trail does not justify but in a wide well groomed stretch fine and if your sled is a darting sled then again common sense to not remove one hand, aside from removing one hand we soon forget about the other distractions that tend to take our attention off the trail which are just as evenly worse if you're not looking where your going, reading your gps, taking a phone call, looking at your rpms, your mphs, adjusting handle bar and thumb warmers. Those activities do take our attention from the trail and we do this unconsciously of course and believe what's 1 or 2 seconds going to do but IMO it's worse than riding with one hand it's riding blind.

Just my 2 cents

"Zone?!"

"Zone?!"

"You say you like big wide open rolling trails? OK! You say you like small woods trails? Got 'em! You say you like flat rippin tails? Pas du problem! You say you like ear-poppin mountain trails? Yup! You say you like straight/fast trails? WOW! You say you like the technical/twisties? Definitely! You say you like groomed trails? OH YEAH BABY! All of that and all to yourself? Ride the 3 est of Tadusac!"

Yup!!!.....I would say you were in a ZONE......and love'n it.

Keep control of your sled overall, and if you like to wave, go for it. What you do with mittens, gauntlets or god forbid night riding I don't know? I am hopeful I don't have to pitch my sled into the bank for any more 2-ups signaling what they think is behind them.

"You say you like big wide open rolling trails? OK! You say you like small woods trails? Got 'em! You say you like flat rippin tails? Pas du problem! You say you like ear-poppin mountain trails? Yup! You say you like straight/fast trails? WOW! You say you like the technical/twisties? Definitely! You say you like groomed trails? OH YEAH BABY! All of that and all to yourself? Ride the 3 est of Tadusac!"

Yup!!!.....I would say you were in a ZONE......and love'n it.

Je comprends parfaitement

Nice product Don great for a group but everyone in the group must have one.

This idea should be introduced to the OEM dealers and included as standard equipement on new sleds, therefore everyone can benefit from the system.

Not a bad idea, I'm sure the inventor would agree.

I usually run it in flashing/hazard mode, anyone who has seen me ride would agree I'm a hazard to myself and others.

This at least alerts oncoming riders that there is something not right with this guy and he may have friends or authorities following him.

GutZ

Not a bad idea, I'm sure the inventor would agree.

I usually run it in flashing/hazard mode, anyone who has seen me ride would agree I'm a hazard to myself and others.

This at least alerts oncoming riders that there is something not right with this guy and he may have friends or authorities following him.

GutZ

I always thought it was to signal my sled's broke down lol