Radios/Sled-to-Sled Communication?

vt_bluyamaha54

My Collett Communicators are getting old and Les Collett suggests replacement rather than repair due to their age/changes in the technology. I have liked them and depended on them to varying degrees over the years but was wondering if anyone has found something else that was better?

The Bluetooth enabled replacement units are now over $300 - defying the usual trend in technology to drop in price and provide more power.

I'd love to hear positive and negative feedback -

Thanks in advance.

Maybe someone can post their experiences from this season relative to the extreme cold and bluetooth communicators. I have been using a MotoComm headset wire harness with PTT on the bars for about 10 years. My rig has a wire that allows music to be piped in and the music is lowered when RX or TX. We use 2 way radios you can buy any where and it's so much better to have commo with some or all of your group. We came close to buying Sena or UClear headset system but given the way everything else rechargable did not stand up to the cold we experienced I am skeptical that the little batteries on these BT units would have held up. Unless we switch to a multi hop BT unit we will be upgrading to commercial radios and equipping more in our group with them and also I will power mine from my sled. My 2 ways held up quite well using Lithium non rechargeable batteries but phones cameras most everything else was zapped quickly by the -25 and worse we rode in for the 2nd year on a row.

Hi action jack I'm new at the site but need more info on what u have .i love to listen to music from my phone and a set of ear buddsbut when somebody talks to me I have to unzip my jacket to shut it off to listen . Plus I'm not a good leader I don't look back only at intersection and signs☕I like to talk to my tail to no if there is any problems back there I don't mine spending

Gugie my headset is essentially this

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MC-755&click=37735

I had to also add the Aux-1 attachment that allows the music input through a std headphone jack like your phone. The music input adapter does not seem to be made anymore which sucks. My wire to my helmet has a mute button which allows me to silence the music for more conversation. The music is already automatically lowered during receiving transmissions. There are various versions of this harness based on the radio that will be used with it. I bought mine years ago as a complete 2pack with Midland radios. The PTT is mounted on the brake side bar and can be operated safely at the same time as braking.

This year 2 guys added radio commo and bought ruggedradio.com rigs. These are much more expensive but they are high quality rigs.

The most intriguing Bluetooth setup to me is the Uclear 200. it is only rated to -20 and I wory about relying solely on VOX with the noise of sledding at high speeds. Also I would have been unpleased if I spent that much only to find the things unusable at -30 due to not withstanding the cold. The Sena radios look to operate very well but I have the same concern about the cold and the current units can only link to 4 total. Finally with the Bluetooth rigs there is always the possible hassle of having to repair.

Besides radioing the others about which turn to take it is really nice to have the lead guy alert the others to oncoming sleds.

We use Chatterbox Communicators with push to talk buttons.

We road two weeks ago when the temperature in the morning was -33

The batteries on the communicators lasted all day as they have in other years in the cold.

Now we do not have long detailed conversations while riding. Just quick words like sleds coming. And maybe a number. Or something about the trail condition like hard right. Etc...

I believe using communicators are a very beneficial safety addition

Schooter

Thanks for the information Jack. I didn't mean that the Collett units are Bluetooth; they are 900mhz radios with Bluetooth for connecting cell/MP3 players, etc.like your unit patches that in via hardwired connection.
I have had good luck with them in the cold in the past - that isn't the issue. The problem mine have now is that they are starting to have 'RF circuit' issues where the audio is garbled and/or their range is far less than in the past. Collett is saying replace rather than repair due to their age. They are about ten years old - with lots of use - so replacement isn't unexpected.

Definitely agree that a reliable and clear radio is a huge asset for added safety with a group. Just something as simple as letting everyone know you need to stop or missed a turn is invaluable. Also, not having to stop to communicate is huge.

Another big safety plus for the Collett units is that they automatically receive the 'Groomer Warning' signal. Collett distributes free transmitters to clubs requesting them for placement in their groomers and you hear a 'wee-waah, wee-waah' signal when an equipped groomer is approaching. This has been a godsend more than once!

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Trailblazer

The PTT button is right by the high/low beam switch

we have used the collett for years and find them very useful. range and quality have always changed do moisture and cold. mic placement on the bv2s is key as well. my was garbled then took of clip on mic and is fine. filter and valve as needed for riding stile. they now have a plug in adaptor so no battery needed. most of the time they are an asset others a cause of rage.

TEAM GUTZ