Gaspe loop

rev39

We have a 6 day ride planned out of RDL on Monday. I see the Gaspe is getting pounded with snow, with more coming. This is our first trip there. What is the opinion of the experienced Gaspe riders, would the trails be opened up by Monday to Matane, then to Mont Saint Pierre for Tuesday? Would it be a good idea to wait until the clubs can get out to groom the new snow?

You better plan on 9 or 10 days or move your trip. There will be major drifting that can take a couple of days to clear. There is a recent quote from a guy that said he was stuck in Mt St Piere one day for 3 days, that is a good statement. Always plan to need 2 to 3 extra days when doing the Gaspe, any way it goes down will be a great adventure, no doubt it is the best tour you will ever go on.

My thoughts are Go For It!! However that said, I would recommend you leave RDL up to Matane and down through the Matepedia Valley toward Pointe a LA Croix and do the Gasps in the reverse direction you have planned. This will give the clubs on the North shore a chance to clean up the heavy drifting. Doing this you should still travel the Gaspesie in the same number of days you have planned.

My riding partner and I left Riviere du loup on Sunday morning (Feb. 16). it was snowing and the wind was blowing. There had not been any grooming since the storm started on Friday. It was difficult to stay on the trail due top drifting and poor visibility. We got stuck several times. We spent the night in Matane. The next morning, Monday it was still snowing and the snow was getting deeper the further east we traveled. When we reached the hilly terrain near St Anne des Monts and Mt St Pierre it was a real challege getting up the hills. About 4pm we stopped to have lunch in Mont St Pierre. The restaurant was full and the Motel parking area was full of sleds. Where did they all come from? We passed only a handfull of sleds on the trails all day. The waitress said the trails were impassable and everyone was staying put. The Motel was full. We called the Copper Hotel in Murdochville but they were full also. Finally found a hotel in Grande Vallee, (48 miles east) that had room for us. On the way there we passed a group of 5 and a group of two couples. We could tell there was a groomer ahead of us without a drag because there were two deep ruts with a high spot in the middle of the trail. We caught up to him 8 miles from Grande Vallee. He was breaking the trail, in 3 ft of snow, attemping to climb a steep, winding hill. While we were waiting there the other groups caught up to us. One person rode up to speak to the groomer. he said it would take him all night to reach Grande Vallee. We all turned around and backtracted to Riviere Madeline where we found a little restaurant that had a couple of rooms. There were already sledders there that had ridden the road from Mt St pierre. He only had room for two people. Lucky us. The group of 5 took the road to Grande Vallee and the two couples hired a flatbed to take themselves and their sleds to Riviere au renard, where they had reservations. The next morning (tuesday) the Motel owner said the groomer from last night could not climb the hill and returned to town. They were going to send two machines, one of which is a Bombardier, which is better in deep snow to open the trail. A call was made to a club in Chandler for info on trail conditions. They said the interior trail 597 was groomed all the way north to trail 5. We rode trail 5 west until we reached trail 597 and headed south to Chandler. The trail was groomed to Murdochville and slightly past, but then it was only broken by sleds for about 50 miles. Totally rideable since there were no steep hills. Once we reached Chandler the trails were all groomed. They had gotten less snow than the North side. Spent the night in Perce. The next day we continued counterclockwise around the North side and almost everything was groomed. The rest of the week the trails were great.

Riding in the Gaspe is always an adventure! I have never been to a place that can dump as much show in such a short time and effect trail so much. Extremes of weather and elevation make it an adventure.

Glad you didn't have any serious issues and did get lots of good riding.

Holy crap. Ya gotta love that "What the hell are we doing?!" feeling. And what a buzz to stick with it. Well done!

Is the lower quarter of 597 open down to Chandler? I thought I saw it closed, with the detour on the local/orange over to Gaspe.

Your right Tom, unpredictable is a good description. I have been detoured down the 132 on a few occasions because of too much snow in the hills! All part of what makes the Gasps great.

Heading up for a 4 day weekend starting March 5th. Spring sledding is awesome up there!

Riding in the Gaspe is always an adventure! I have never been to a place that can dump as much show in such a short time and effect trail so much. Extremes of weather and elevation make it an adventure.

My riding partner and I left Riviere du loup on Sunday morning (Feb. 16). it was snowing and the wind was blowing. There had not been any grooming since the storm started on Friday. It was difficult to stay on the trail due top drifting and poor visibility. We got stuck several times. We spent the night in Matane. The next morning, Monday it was still snowing and the snow was getting deeper the further east we traveled. When we reached the hilly terrain near St Anne des Monts and Mt St Pierre it was a real challege getting up the hills. About 4pm we stopped to have lunch in Mont St Pierre. The restaurant was full and the Motel parking area was full of sleds. Where did they all come from? We passed only a handfull of sleds on the trails all day. The waitress said the trails were impassable and everyone was staying put. The Motel was full. We called the Copper Hotel in Murdochville but they were full also. Finally found a hotel in Grande Vallee, (48 miles east) that had room for us. On the way there we passed a group of 5 and a group of two couples. We could tell there was a groomer ahead of us without a drag because there were two deep ruts with a high spot in the middle of the trail. We caught up to him 8 miles from Grande Vallee. He was breaking the trail, in 3 ft of snow, attemping to climb a steep, winding hill. While we were waiting there the other groups caught up to us. One person rode up to speak to the groomer. he said it would take him all night to reach Grande Vallee. We all turned around and backtracted to Riviere Madeline where we found a little restaurant that had a couple of rooms. There were already sledders there that had ridden the road from Mt St pierre. He only had room for two people. Lucky us. The group of 5 took the road to Grande Vallee and the two couples hired a flatbed to take themselves and their sleds to Riviere au renard, where they had reservations. The next morning (tuesday) the Motel owner said the groomer from last night could not climb the hill and returned to town. They were going to send two machines, one of which is a Bombardier, which is better in deep snow to open the trail. A call was made to a club in Chandler for info on trail conditions. They said the interior trail 597 was groomed all the way north to trail 5. We rode trail 5 west until we reached trail 597 and headed south to Chandler. The trail was groomed to Murdochville and slightly past, but then it was only broken by sleds for about 50 miles. Totally rideable since there were no steep hills. Once we reached Chandler the trails were all groomed. They had gotten less snow than the North side. Spent the night in Perce. The next day we continued counterclockwise around the North side and almost everything was groomed. The rest of the week the trails were great.

Mxsenior, was that you at Chez Mamie. We were the four guys eating dinner at the corner table. Didn't know you were QR. We went back also and caught 597 down to Chandler. When we got there it was only 1:30 so we decided to have a bite to eat at the relais and continue on to New Richmond for the night. Got to Amqui the next night, and Riviere du Loup and the trucks the following night. All the trails were groomed after Chandler, and we had a good ride the last 2 1/2 days of our trip.

• Yes, That was me at Chez Mamie, along with my friend Glen. It was a pleasure meeting you guys. After the night in Perce we continued counterclockwise back to 597, then rode the orange trail to la cache. Spent that night in Pointe a la Croix. The next day, (Friday)
  • Glens sled started running on one cylinder near Albertville. We limped it to the skidoo dealer in Amqui, who confirmed it was terminal. I continued back to Rivere du loup to retrieve the truck and trailer. Drove back to Amqui with the truck and trailer and we spent Friday night at the Selecthotel. Sounds like we were in Amqui the same night. What Hotel were you staying at? The next morning we drove back home to NY from Amqui. 11 hour drive from Amqui.

Alain

Edited by mxsenior

Great fun Alain! Glad to see you're back at it again! Gaspesie weather is very unpredictable. I remember riding the road (132) for over 100 miles one time in a Nor'Easter. Waves & salt spray crashing over the roadway.

Alway an adventure for sure!

Best,

Tom

Is it true that they call you Tom Road-man?

Is it true that they call you Tom Road-man?

Hey David,

I've been called lots of things for sure! Adaptability is an important trait to have in this sport of saddle bagging. Expect the unexpected.

Just heard 3 people have died on sleds in the last 3 days in PQ. Be careful out there people!

I loved reading your story...I know all these places so it helps for me! I love that area!! We were booked for Madeline this year and had to cancel due to weather but one day I hope to stay there. How did you find that place?

The copper is suppose to be quite the place too lol

Thanks again for your report!

Linda

When we came down off the mountain the trail runs parallel and right next to rt.132. Chez Mamie is just across the road from the trail.

Small place. If it had not been dark, we probably would not have noticed the lighted signs on the building.

Mxsenior, we were in Amqui on Wednesday night. The Ski doo in our group was having trouble cutting out all day Wednesday. Wound up at the doo dealer in Amqui also. Also terminal ( stator ) He had to hire a truck to get back to Riviere du Loup. They picked him up at our hotel (select hotel) at 8:30 and the rest of us got on the trail by 9:00.

I agree, They told Glen they could put a short block in and the sled would be ready to go before they closed that night. Glen decided against getting it repaired there only because it was our last day of riding anyway.

Alain