GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking at getting a GPS for the sled as my last trip to Quebec had me pulling a map out way to often. I am looking at a Nuvi and Zumo any input? What are the best maps?

Looking to head out in 2 weeks and want this on my dash

Thanks

I am looking at getting a GPS for the sled as my last trip to Quebec had me pulling a map out way to often. I am looking at a Nuvi and Zumo any input? What are the best maps?

Looking to head out in 2 weeks and want this on my dash

Thanks

Hello,

I have a lot of experience with this. I'd recommend finding a used 276, 278, or 478. A 276 will work fine if you don't need XM Weather.

Avoid the GPSMAP 640, which garmin touts as the replacement for the x76/x78 series. It's baloney.

I have been using the NUVI 500 for several years. I purchased for use in both Truck and sled.

It has worked for me mounted to the handlebars to - 30.

I have updated my trail maps with the link above. once you get the hang of using mapsourcing, pretty straigh forward.

schooter

Bob,

Attached is a comparison of the Garmin Nuvi 500/550 with the Zumo models

I gleaned the information from the Garmin web site.

My unit is ~ 4 years old Nuvi 500 has the same features offered today.

hope this helps with your decision.

Schooter

garmin compare.pdf

Bob,

Attached is a comparison of the Garmin Nuvi 500/550 with the Zumo models

I gleaned the information from the Garmin web site.

My unit is ~ 4 years old Nuvi 500 has the same features offered today.

hope this helps with your decision.

Schooter

Wow great info thanks. It looks like the ZUMO has the bluetooth and XM feature but outside of that they are equal. I don't need to hear directions in my helmet I just want to see a live map and know where I am on it. Sounds like the Nuvi 500 or 550 is the most economical solution.

Wow great info thanks. It looks like the ZUMO has the bluetooth and XM feature but outside of that they are equal. I don't need to hear directions in my helmet I just want to see a live map and know where I am on it. Sounds like the Nuvi 500 or 550 is the most economical solution.

Plus the 500/550 is alot less than a Zumo

Bob,

I purchased Topo Canada as referenced on the Garmin web page.

and then downloaded the trail map from Markusvt post

http://www.box.com/s/spxyaifztc1eerqhz92h

I have not compared 2012 version to the actual trail will get to do that starting this sunday.

But they have been good in the past.

There are just too many options,

Schooter

Bob,

I purchased Topo Canada as referenced on the Garmin web page.

and then downloaded the trail map from Markusvt post

http://www.box.com/s/spxyaifztc1eerqhz92h

I have not compared 2012 version to the actual trail will get to do that starting this sunday.

But they have been good in the past.

There are just too many options,

Schooter

I bought the sledgps maps and last weekend we went from saint anne beauce to le tape and then to the lac st jean area (sorry for the spelling) and returned back, the gps was pretty accurate. the gps I use is from my motorcycle it is the garmin 2720. trails were 75 good and 25 ok but with the year we are having I won't complain. this week heading to st george I'm hoping the warm weather didn't do to much damage.

I have Topo Canada East and I've downloaded the 2012 trail map. Is there anyway to overlay the trails on the topo map? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you have a garmin? I don't see why you couldn't. That is what overlay maps are for. One of the tricks is to send all of your selected maps from mapsource to your garmin at once. If you do it separately you will keep overwriting the the old data with the new.

Do you have a garmin? I don't see why you couldn't. That is what overlay maps are for. One of the tricks is to send all of your selected maps from mapsource to your garmin at once. If you do it separately you will keep overwriting the the old data with the new.

I do have a Garmin. I guess I'm just not sure how to do it. The other problem that I have is that my Topo of eastern Canada is only on my 60cSx. I cannot upload the map to mapsource. I can look at it on Basecamp, so not sure what to do now. Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried sending the trail map to your gps yet? I have pretty much the same set up, 60csx quebec downloads, and city nav instep of topo

I tried to send the trail map to my gps and it wiped out my Topo. Had to download the topo again.... took 3 hrs with my DSL line.

I tried to send the trail map to my gps and it wiped out my Topo. Had to download the topo again.... took 3 hrs with my DSL line.

That's what I meant earlier about sending them all at once.

Here is what I do, there may be other way as well. to start you need both maps in mapsource. Select the toppo tiles you need, no more because it will just take too long. A list will start forming in the left hand column. After you get all those, go to the upper left drop down box and select the trail map. Select the whole thing. That will show now in the left hand column too. Now is a good time to save it. Next hook up your GPS and send maps to device. You may have to zoom in quite a bit before the trail overlay shows up. Setting the map detail to "most" will help. If you still don't see it check your map inventory on the gps to see if it is listed.