GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

One time When I went to gaspesie last year..my wife wanted to use her GPS..LOL..well when we got to near rimouski we drove for 25k in the middle of farmers feilds..acording to the gps..

So is it the FCMQ..yes I have expirrianced the ..What the hell feeling with my gps on trails too..dont ride them much, ..but it did happen twice...I use my gps with way points I make.and mostly just for track back..simple and dependable..as for the gps being wrong..well someone else made the maps..so how good are they....they are only as good as the guy with the gps ..and most dont know how to use them wright..Rely on only you..I ride the mountains..and lost is not a good thing in the dark 15k or so from the nearest trail or town.Its your life..Take care of it.Make sure you know how to use your GPS..Mines a Garmin 60csx..the newer one dosent have the 4 prong plug..my son has that one.

Edited by quebecmountainrider

The 2012-2013 GPS SledMaps are now available for Garmin GPS units!

To get the newest update, first log in and then view the map you want

to update (USA or Ontario). It will be discounted based on your

original purchase date.

We are always happy to hear feedback and help any way we can. Just

email us at

Thank you!

-Emily and Ryan Quick

Red Pine Mapping

Lowrance Ontario is also available now. Lowrance USA is coming soon,

and then Magellan for both USA and Ontario so please check back with

us next week if you have Lowrance or Magellan units.

The 2012-2013 GPS SledMaps are now available for Garmin GPS units!

To get the newest update, first log in and then view the map you want

to update (USA or Ontario). It will be discounted based on your

original purchase date.

We are always happy to hear feedback and help any way we can. Just

email us at

Thank you!

-Emily and Ryan Quick

Red Pine Mapping

Lowrance Ontario is also available now. Lowrance USA is coming soon,

and then Magellan for both USA and Ontario so please check back with

us next week if you have Lowrance or Magellan units.

Any mapping available for Quebec from Red Pine?? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the NY map from him on my gps now and it works great. Works the same way as this QC map. I have the QC map on my computer and the quebec tracks that I have already made coincide perfect with this map.

favarcat where did you get the NY map, I'm looking for one?

• 2 months later...
One time When I went to gaspesie last year..my wife wanted to use her GPS..LOL..well when we got to near rimouski we drove for 25k in the middle of farmers feilds..acording to the gps.. So is it the FCMQ..yes I have expirrianced the ..What the hell feeling with my gps on trails too..dont ride them much, ..but it did happen twice...I use my gps with way points I make.and mostly just for track back..simple and dependable..as for the gps being wrong..well someone else made the maps..so how good are they....they are only as good as the guy with the gps ..and most dont know how to use them wright..Rely on only you..I ride the mountains..and lost is not a good thing in the dark 15k or so from the nearest trail or town.Its your life..Take care of it.Make sure you know how to use your GPS..Mines a Garmin 60csx..the newer one dosent have the 4 prong plug..my son has that one.
Here is a link for the 2012 NY map. I do not have the 2013, but don't imagine it changed much. http://www.mediafire.com/?lrorsi2sbm139s1
Good to see all you guys still at it...been riding Maine last few years and it's not as good as Quebec but pretty good. I'm picking up a Lowrance Elite 5 today and was wondering if anyone has any Maine sled maps like the old Quebec maps made by RWS? His maps were awesome and inspired alot of confidence when in questionable conditions. Like QMR says above, rely on yourself, know your equipment and always be prepared for the worst....:bc:

• 9 months later...

Trak maps

As well free for your smart phone is ' polaris snow trails' app. Really good.

The iMotoneige App is quite good too - although I haven't had much chance to use it. (Both Apple and Android formats)

http://www.imotoneige.ca/en/

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

• 7 months later...

I've been looking at the specs of some GPS units before purchasing one. I noticed that many times I will be riding in temperatures that are typically lower than what the units are spec'd at. For Instance:

Magellan Explorist Series 140 F

Garmin Montana Seriess -40F

Garmin Oregon Series 50F

Garmin GPSMAP Series 50F

Delorme PN Series -40F

I was wondering how these GPS units perform when the temperature gets very cold. Last year there were several days when the temperature was way below the above spec'd minimum operating temps. Has anyone noticed problems with their units in these conditions?

Any info would be appreciated.

Most people have their units wired directly into the sled. I believe this helps to prevent some issues caused by cold.

Ditto . I run a Garmin 550 .. wired to sled. Always worked great even in -40f this past season.

I use garmin 550 ..again wired to sled and never had a problem..in 3 or 4 seasons

Thanks for the replies. Its unanimous that I will need to wire it to the sled

I have used a GPSmap276c. It never had an issue with cold temps. I plugged it in as well.

A side note if you are planning to use Trakmaps software check for compatibility with the GPS you are choosing.

http://www.trakmaps.com/Compatible_Garmin.aspx

My 276c is no longer supported. My map would not load last year. I went with a Montana for this year.

I have used a GPSmap276c. It never had an issue with cold temps. I plugged it in as well.

A side note if you are planning to use Trakmaps software check for compatibility with the GPS you are choosing.

http://www.trakmaps.com/Compatible_Garmin.aspx

My 276c is no longer supported. My map would not load last year. I went with a Montana for this year.

Trakmaps has an extensive list of devices it supports, so I filtered the results with some initial criteria that were of more value to me (min. 3" display, waterproof (IPX7), and internal microSD card). This left me with primarily the Oregon 600 series, and the Montana 600 series. The Nuvi 550 also looked good, but it was listed as discontinued on the Garmin Website, although it's probably available in the aftermarket , or on EBay.

My mapping criteria is New Hampshire, Maine and Quebec for Snowmobiling, and Southern New England for Geocaching with my Grandkids. Whether I get SD cards or download maps is unclear to me right now.

It ticks me off that garmin has discontinued the 276. Mine has worked flawlessly and I love it. I am thinking I will end up going to the Montana 650 as well. But I still like the screen display and the fact it has buttons to operate it rather than a touch screen better on the 276.

On a side note for GT rider or anyone else there is a "free" map that is made and updated annually that is VERY SIMILAR to trak maps. It is produced by a 2 french guys from Quebec and readily available. The instructions are in french but very easy to download and install and use.

Andy