GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

Map Tilou Biscuit updated version 6.02

Hello there

We received so many modifications on your part that we could not, do not offer the 6.02 version as soon as this season, here's a new update for the map of Quebec Snowmobile Trails 2014 version v6.02.

Many changes were made at the trails in several regions of Quebec.

The map is always available on PC platforms, Mac, Android, and is compatible with Garmin GPS.

Here are the links where you can get the files.

For PC (Snowmobile Trails 2014 v6.02.zip) https://app.box.com/s/9t3lsiisvvw5vlp1i1or

For Mac (Mac Snowmobile Trails 2014 v6.02.zip) https://app.box.com/s/qgxr7bhym4xx8u2sgszq

For Android (Snowmobile Trails 2014 v6.02 Android.zip) https://app.box.com/s/jq75tw1fmxn2qw8h4lzq

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Installation procedures for the various platforms:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For PC users, you will find inside the file Snowmobile Trails 2014 v6.02.zip a PDF file explaining the procedure.

An installation program will guide you throughout the process to install the card into Mapsource and BaseCamp.

For those who have a Mac follow these steps.

1 - Go to the site and get the JaVaWa JaVaWa MapConverter program at: http://www.javawa.nl/mapconverter_fr.html

2 - Install on your computer and open the JaVaWa MapConverter program.

3 - Drag the file Snowmobile Trails Mac in 2014 v6.02.zip window JaVaWa MapConverter.

4 - Choose the TYP file depending on the model of GPS.

5 - Press the Convert button and install for the card fits into BaseCamp your Mac.

For Android, the software program is OruxMaps, here's the procedure.

1 - Go to the website of Google play at: https://play.google.com

2 - Install the unit in your OruxMaps program. There is a free or paid version.

3 - Then copy the file Snowmobile Trails v6.02A.img in OruxMaps directory / mapfiles newly created device.

4 - For more information on the use OruxMaps, go http://www.oruxmaps.com/ and you can view the PDF manual site.

If you have questions about installing the card, you can contact us by email sentiers.motoneige@live.fr

You can also send us your comments and suggestions. Continue to send us your tracks, because without your help we could not provide you with the most up to date map.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Good end of the season and be careful on the trails!

Tilou

Tilou

TZ1 Turbo LE 2009 Garmin 60 Csx

Edited by iceman

6.02 was new on 2/23/2014. You will always find it first here:

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-GPS-Trac%E9s-et-waypoints

Tilou Biscuit amazing duo, why they do it for free I don't know but we have been using their maps for a few seasons now and they have been invaluable.

​Last year they updated it 3 times, I have seen as many as 5 updates in a season.

Edited by markusvt

It ticks me off that garmin has discontinued the 276. Mine has worked flawlessly and I love it. I am thinking I will end up going to the Montana 650 as well. But I still like the screen display and the fact it has buttons to operate it rather than a touch screen better on the 276.

On a side note for GT rider or anyone else there is a "free" map that is made and updated annually that is VERY SIMILAR to trak maps. It is produced by a 2 french guys from Quebec and readily available. The instructions are in french but very easy to download and install and use.

Andy

Andy - I have a mint 276C that I am going to sell this fall if you are interested. It also has a slick handlebar pad-mount. But I can tell you that I installed a Montana 650 last year and love it. I adapted the Doo mount to work on my XR and it is nice to just unsnap and take it in at night. Plus, you can take pix w Geo tags and setup waypoints.

GW

• 2 months later...

I used the imotoneige app on my android phone for a couple of seasons (2012-13) but that app is discontinued. I don't really need a dedicated GPS unit as paper maps have served me well for 20+ years however having a GPS backup is really nice for those moments where you stop on the trail and think, did I miss the intersection? Did I miss the gas stop?

So I was looking into purchasing a GPS for this coming season and came across Tilou Buscuit maps in this thread. Looks like Oruxmaps app for android and the Tilou Biscuit map files might fit the bill for me rather than shelling out hundreds for a Garmin.

Does anyone know how often, and generally when do the Tilou Biscuit maps get updated for the upcoming season? I downloaded last year's maps and they look awesome. If these maps work out, I'd even like to kick those guys a few bucks so they can have a few Labatts on me!

Hi Actionjack, That is interesting. I also emailed the Federation in october regarding the imotoneige app and this was their reply.

"The imotoneige app was not a FCMQ,s product. The app was made and distributed by Appcom. There is no business agreement between this company and FCMQ."

So I then contacted APPCOM and this is their reply.

"Thank you for your interest in the iMotoneige application.
Unfortunately, the data was provided by the FCMQ and they stopped supporting the application and we are only the developpers behind the app.
Which means that the application does not work and has therefore been removed from the Apple Store and Google Play."
It sounds to me like there is some finger pointing going on, but at the end of the day the latest set of responses seem to indicate that neither want to work together to continue the app this season. Its a bummer. The app itself was a bit quirky but the map was accurate. It was real easy too, just download it for $2.99 and your're off and running. Let us know if you hear otherwise about the app release this season!

I reviewed the exchange I had. It was with the FCMQ publicist. She responded to me in early September that FCMQ was working with the app developer and they hoped to resolve their issue soon. I used the app for 2 years on my iPhone and it was very good. Its still on one of my old phones and still works as far as I can tell. Seems odd that Viaexplora seems to be serving the data why the cannot link up. Oh well, I use GPSkit on my iPhone with the Trakmaps in BaseCamp (Mac version of Mapsource), plan my routes, export to GPX, put in the cloud (DropBox) and drop them into GPSkit from the hotel in am. As long as my battery lasts I can follow that like bread crumbs. Last year was too cold to have the phone mounted on the bars even with external power for the phone. I was surprised that the 1st year I used imotoneige with no cell data service that if I reviewed the route while on wifi in the am the info would be cached on my phone all day so being Offline was no issue.

Trakmaps should just make an app.

Thanks actionjack. You post some good ideas here.

It is a good point that the entire trail system is up in via explorer for browsing on the PC, but that is useless on the trails. Why would FCMQ not just make that data available to all GPS and smart phone users for free or nominal cost? Seems like that might cut down on their costs of having to print as many paper maps as well. Gotta get with the times!

• 1 month later...

6.02 was new on 2/23/2014. You will always find it first here:

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-GPS-Trac%E9s-et-waypoints

Tilou Biscuit amazing duo, why they do it for free I don't know but we have been using their maps for a few seasons now and they have been invaluable.

​Last year they updated it 3 times, I have seen as many as 5 updates in a season.

2015 V7 is out now. These guys amaze me! Many Thanks Tilou Biscuit!!! Merci!

• 3 weeks later...

Documentation says that the high level map is available without internet and if you create a route over wifi you can view the route without internet as it is cached in the phone. Will have to try it out next week to see how well it really works.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 5 day ride with Imotoneige in conjunction with traditional paper maps. Overall, i think the new imotoneige is an improvement over the previous versions of the app, and its free to boot. The app finds the gps location very quickly, usually withn 5 seconds of starting up. What I did was map out the route using the hotel wi fi the night before. It looks like the app caches the maps as you zoom around. So after mapping out my route I zoomed into a medium level and then swiped the map across the entire route in order to cache all the maps I need for the next day. i was successful navigating around on the trails with my phone in airplane mode without issues. Planning or changing a route worked fine on the trail without internet.

The app could use some improvement, there are a few bugs, The highlighted route sometimes covers the trail number making it hard to read. It also appeared to keep the GPS active once the app is started even if not in the forefront so I made a habit of closing the app each time I am finished with it to preserve battery. Would be better next year if they put more gas stops and hotels in the app.

Overall, for the price, (Free!) it works pretty well. Not a substitute for a mounted dedicated GPS unit or regional paper maps. But really convenient for those times when you take a detour, are heading the wrong way by mistake, or especially on the unmarked "orange" local trails.

TBone you are using the Android version correct? IPhine version does not lock GPS well. Does not fluidly follow position and the resolution pixelates unusable at zoom level higher than 10 km. The iPhone version for now is a large step backwards. Looking forward to it being updated.

ActionJack, yes I am using the android version. Too bad the Iphone version is lagging in the quality department. If they can get it to the same level as the android I think you will notice a significant improvement. One can hope...

From what I read on motoneigeauquebec they purposely value engineered the map to lower quality for faster downloading and smaller caching on the phones local RAM. Until they update the basemap there is no point in installing this version on an iPhone. Using an iPhone you can get the same function with a better map through fcmq.viaexplora.com.

It should also be noted that the new version requires at least iOS 7. I used the older version on my iPad as a great way to plot out trips over dinner the night before a ride. I downloaded the new version on my iPhone 6, but it does has faults, as mentioned.

The big thing missing is the groomers as far as I can see. Does that work in the Android version?

I did the same thing, review or plan my routing using my iPad at dinner or breakfast in the glow of the hotel's wifi. It really is why I bought an iPad.

I have the old iMotoneige still installed on my iPad and an old iPhone 5. The trail map server apparently has not changed as the maps are up to date including POIs. Unfortunately, the routing server cannot be reached so it won't route for you or calculate the distance. It still would be more useful on the trail than the current version since the zoom level is far better than the new version from fcmq. Selecting the groomer option flashes countless groomers off the the east of Quebec and then randomly zooms somewhere in Quebec so that function is gone along with the route calculating.