GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

What is the best gps to get for my 2016 ski doo blizzard 20th the gps glove box ext. Can we use one that you would get at best buy that was made for a car, or do we have to get some thing special because of the cold. I see that you can wire the gps right to the sled. Skidoo says the montana but it is 700.00. There must be something with a bigger screen that can be used,,, anybody have some good ideas.

What is the best gps to get for my 2016 ski doo blizzard 20th the gps glove box ext. Can we use one that you would get at best buy that was made for a car, or do we have to get some thing special because of the cold. I see that you can wire the gps right to the sled. Skidoo says the montana but it is 700.00. There must be something with a bigger screen that can be used,,, anybody have some good ideas.

Depends on your objective. I simply wanted one to help facilitate decisions on the trail....not necessarily for marking waypoints, etc....

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 66LM as it came with US and Canadian road maps, and I could make the size work on the sled. Also, I bought the Quebec Trails from Trakmaps. On our recent Gaspe journey it worked very well and helped save time (vs. getting a map out often) and a few intersections with no signage, it really helped. It will also log trip statistics and it will leave a trail so you can capture and save the trip for your files.

Note this is an automotive GPS so I added a bead of silicone around the exterior of the screen and used a good electrical tape to cover some areas on the back (speaker, microSD card slot, etc). Not sure how the screen will work in extreme cold but in moderate temps above 0F it worked fine. In moderate snowfall or worse, I expect to pull it and have it in my pocket in most cases.

I installed a RAM mount for 66LM to the glovebox extension. The GPS unit is a sufficiently sized screen and a great location to be useable while actually riding, imo.

post-1631-0-72233300-1454335617_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-50022000-1454335624_thumb.jpg

Wiring was pretty straight forward and if you need details on that just let me know. Bottom line is I installed a dual USB port inside the glovebox that is hot when the sled is running. There are ways to tied directly into the battery so it could be always hot...but I did not do that.

Here's the Doo 12V plug AND the dual USB port wiring on the front side of the glove box. Access is easy and using Doo wiring harness shown below (available at Doo dealer) it was simple install.

post-1631-0-47282400-1454336001_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-14175500-1454336147_thumb.jpg

Wiring part number:

post-1631-0-15420200-1454336158_thumb.jpg

I think I have roughly $250 into the entire set up (plus the Trakmaps). You could probably do it for less $$ if you're more patient in finding the right GPS at the right price.

Edited by im4snow

I just bought a Montana 680T last week, I must say for the money 779.00 CDN + 15% of tax im not impressed, not even a North American road map on it, there is a Topo but for US only, useless if sold in Canada, so basically another 250$$$ for a North American and snowmobile map to be loaded. It's going back to the store, my Nuvi 550 is much less complicated to use and Tulu and Biscuit maps can be loaded much easier, had no success loading with the Montana.

JG I am very surprised you can't get the 680 to load the maps. I just loaded 4 friends up and they are all 600 or 650's. Are you using mapsource or basecamp?

Andy

Depends on your objective. I simply wanted one to help facilitate decisions on the trail....not necessarily for marking waypoints, etc....

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 66LM as it came with US and Canadian road maps, and I could make the size work on the sled. Also, I bought the Quebec Trails from Trakmaps. On our recent Gaspe journey it worked very well and helped save time (vs. getting a map out often) and a few intersections with no signage, it really helped. It will also log trip statistics and it will leave a trail so you can capture and save the trip for your files.

Note this is an automotive GPS so I added a bead of silicone around the exterior of the screen and used a good electrical tape to cover some areas on the back (speaker, microSD card slot, etc). Not sure how the screen will work in extreme cold but in moderate temps above 0F it worked fine. In moderate snowfall or worse, I expect to pull it and have it in my pocket in most cases.

I installed a RAM mount for 66LM to the glovebox extension. The GPS unit is a sufficiently sized screen and a great location to be useable while actually riding, imo.

attachicon.gifIMG_2071.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2070.JPG

Wiring was pretty straight forward and if you need details on that just let me know. Bottom line is I installed a dual USB port inside the glovebox that is hot when the sled is running. There are ways to tied directly into the battery so it could be always hot...but I did not do that.

Here's the Doo 12V plug AND the dual USB port wiring on the front side of the glove box. Access is easy and using Doo wiring harness shown below (available at Doo dealer) it was simple install.

attachicon.gifIMG_2063.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2055.JPG

Wiring part number:

attachicon.gifIMG_2054.JPG

I think I have roughly $250 into the entire set up (plus the Trakmaps). You could probably do it for less $$ if you're more patient in finding the right GPS at the right price.

Nice set up.

Imsnow , that's looks like a nice set up. Looks like you have a nice size screen also, I have the glove box ext. Already. Just trying to find the right gps, does yours have Bluetooth in it?. Can you plan a trip and have it do turn by turn like a car one does, is that possible? I like the idea of the big screen for easy to see when driveing. So that unit is able to download the canada maps and the new York trail system??,,thanks for your help

Todd

Imsnow , that's looks like a nice set up. Looks like you have a nice size screen also, I have the glove box ext. Already. Just trying to find the right gps, does yours have Bluetooth in it?. Can you plan a trip and have it do turn by turn like a car one does, is that possible? I like the idea of the big screen for easy to see when driveing. So that unit is able to download the canada maps and the new York trail system??,,thanks for your help

Todd

Not sure about bluetooth. Turn by turn......I guess you could but where's the adventure in that? Seriously though while I found the maps excellent there are variations from actual trails to what the map says (detours, etc). I use paper maps for rough trip planning and I always have the paper maps with me.

The unit came preloaded with US and Canadian roads. Then you simply buy whichever trail maps you want. There are several sources for online maps depending on the location you plan to ride in. In my case I bought Quebec maps on a micro SD card and just plugged that in the back of the GPS.

• 9 months later...

Hey Guys and Gals,

Usually the new GPS maps are listed here:

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-GPS-Trac%E9s-et-waypoints

Insert Link did not work.

Anyways, it's in French and I did not know if I'm looking in the right spot.

Later

GutZ

Snowmobile trail Tilou Biscuit version 8.02

Despite snowmobile season sawtooth, we received quite a number of changes to justify a version 8.02 of Snowmobile Trails Tilou / Biscuit. For your information, the map has more than 1964 POI and 35.160 kilometers of track. 
Hopefully March slightly more favorable to the practice of our favorite hobby. 

Continue to send us your corrections at: sentiers.motoneige@live .com

Here are the links: 
Mac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...lRWQ2lpcTJqeTA
Pc: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...kdWZF9aeHU0UUk
Android: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...XpEdkh5MTczeFE

I saw that and I know there are not alot of changes, but it's from 2/26/16, and the the usual versioning scheme appears to be 7=2015, 8=2016, etc..

I felt that was just an update for late last year.

Again I could be wrong.

Thanks

GutZ

• 5 weeks later...

I tried to put this version that markus recently posted, (many thanks markus)  in my GPS last night, just got gray trails. Started all over again, same result. The maps look fine in basecamp but they turn gray when I go to map install. For now I put last years version back in. I have used these maps for several years and never had this much trouble. Anybody else have trouble?

I downloaded the most current version from the google drive link and on my Garmin Oregon 450T i had the same issue with the trail being very thin white lines. Same as said before that in base camp they look fine with the color codes associated with the different trails. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also downloaded the latest version today. Trail Colors are fine in mapsource, but all trails are gray on gps. Leaving for Quebec tomorrow. If anyone has a solution, please let me know