GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

looks great. Any idea how that will look on a non color screen? Think it will translate in to shades of grey?? I currently use a GPS V.

The new color coded map will display correctly ONLY on late model color Garmin units that support TYP. For non-color and older Garmin units use my other map. Be sure you have the latest version software for both your GPS and Mapsource...which can be downloaded from Garmin's website for FREE.

On your V all the trails will appear as a grey line with black border...the same as how Interstate Highways appear.

RWS, thanks for the new map, it looks awesome. I also loaded the waypoints Favcat added. What do you set your User Waypoint setting at to help declutter the map? Can't wait to try this setup out next week.

I edited the waypoints with this one. http://www.mediafire.com/?fmg242asgva

Took out some duplicates. About 100 less so it won't be as cluttered.

I have my waypoints set to auto and works good there.

When are you going to Lac StJean? We will be there from the 21st-26th.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a kml file for google earth with many way points. I can not guarantee the accuracy of all the points so use them at your own discretion. Many have links and phone numbers attached. I hope you find them useful.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4dzmm9cxyzn

The file can be converted with gpsbabel for your unit.

THANKS for the Quebec trail map file RWS. I had earlier converted the KML file to tracks but your configuration with the labels etc is great. I used it on a trip two weeks ago (Lac Saguenay and Gaspe with Andyman) and it proved quite accurate. There were some new trails but even then if stuck you could figure out the proper route.

I also enjoyed zooming in on the 76CX to 120-200m in the Gaspe when twisty and geing able to see big turns in the near future. Another favorite was coming to a couple of fields with a lot of sled tracks and being able to tell which corner the main trail exit was.

I will attempt to overlay my tracks on your map to show the differences if anybody is interested.

MUBS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The problem with the .kml trail file is it contains 10,600 tracks. Most Garmin GPS's have a limited amount of track storage space (generally 20 or less) making it difficult to load up any amount of trails to your GPS. That is why I made the Quebec custom trail map available on this site.

Mapsource screenshot of Quebec trails .kml files converted to Garmin .gdb (trails in yellow)

QuebecTrailsMapsource.jpg

• 1 month later...

RWS,

Any idea if the color maps will work on a StreetPilot III? They can be had pretty cheap right now and are waterproof too.

Your maps seemed to work great on my GPSV last year but I am looking for a bigger screen and color. The 276C is out of my budget right now so I was looking for a short cut. I am not really concerned with any other use for the GPS just sledding.

Any thoughts?

RWS,

Any idea if the color maps will work on a StreetPilot III? They can be had pretty cheap right now and are waterproof too.

Your maps seemed to work great on my GPSV last year but I am looking for a bigger screen and color. The 276C is out of my budget right now so I was looking for a short cut. I am not really concerned with any other use for the GPS just sledding.

Any thoughts?

My map will display on the StreetPilot III but I am not sure the StreetPilot is capable of handling the TYP customization which would show the trails color coded.

Have you checked eBay prices on a 276c?

Edit: I found this...it does appear the StreetPilot supports TYP. Be sure to update the unit with the latest firmware.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/...th_custom_types

• 5 weeks later...

A Quebecer techy pal of mine told me last week that all Quebec sled trails are now available for download for free. Here is the email message- in French.

On Sun Oct 26 11:07 , Gilles Levac sent:

>

> Salut Zen > Long time no talk. Je t'envoie ce lien qui devrais t'intéresser. Tout les sentier motoneige du Québec pour GPS Garmin *Gratuit*

(here is a link that you will find of interest. All the snowmobile trails of Quebec for Garmin, and its FREE.)

> Le lien te mène à une licence (agreement) et un autre lien qui te mène au téléchargement(download page) qui lui contient le dossier tracé, différent logiciel, et un tutoriel (français) qui explique bien la procédure à suivre.

(here is the link that brings you to a licence agreement, and another that brings you to a download page, which contains the file of trails, various other soft ware, and a tutorial in French that explains the procedure.)

Je t'envoie aussi ce lien qui est le forum discutions de ce sujet. (I also send this link which is for the discussion board)

> http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/sho...hlight=tutorial

> www.motoneigeauquebec.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D49316%26highlight%3Dtutorial>

>

>

> Au plaisir

> Gilles

> (I hope this is useful)

zw

• 4 weeks later...
I'm working on my Quebec trail map adding trail numbers and color coding the trails as trans-Quebec, regional or local.

I've got the western 1/3 done...trans-Quebec trails will be blue/white border with square shaped floating trail numbers, regional trails will be green/white border with rounded shaped floating trail numbers and local trails will be magenta/white border.

Here's a screenshot from a 276c showing how it will look.

QBGPSScreen.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Rich,

I pm'd rws yesterday to see what the most current quebec trail map was. Looks like I am joining the group of GPS users. Just purchased the Nuvi 550. It's waterproof and good down to -20 degrees C. Touch screen and is capable of routes. $264.00 off the net. I'll let you know if and when I get a response from RWS.

Bob

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

I pm'd rws yesterday to see what the most current quebec trail map was. Looks like I am joining the group of GPS users. Just purchased the Nuvi 550. It's waterproof and good down to -20 degrees C. Touch screen and is capable of routes. $264.00 off the net. I'll let you know if and when I get a response from RWS.

Bob

My Brother just bought me the Nuvi to replace the Etrex, I uploaded the trail maps into it, but when I zoomed in on where they should be, all I see is are roads? is this normal untill I'm riding on the trails? The old one would show the trails?

Thanks

GutZ

My Brother just bought me the Nuvi to replace the Etrex, I uploaded the trail maps into it, but when I zoomed in on where they should be, all I see is are roads? is this normal untill I'm riding on the trails? The old one would show the trails?

Thanks

GutZ

Did you zoom in far enough? You gotta get pretty close before they show.