GPS - Layouts and waypoints

rob

Thanks i was looking at the nuvi 500 and zumo 550

How do these older units compare what is the benignity to them over the new units?

Thanks again

Bob

I have the Zumo 550 ( I had the Zumo 450 until it was stolen from my truck in Montreal while there for a bicycle tour )and it works GREAT. We were up last week and the 2 Nuvi's kept shutting down due to the cold, not the Zumo ! I have the Trak maps and works great

Hello again!

Well this past weekend I tested the Nuvi 500 and the Sledgps.com map system.

I was very disapointed with the maps. We rode over 700 miles in 3 days and not once was I on the trail. The best example I have is in Mount Laurier it shows you crossing the river about 3 miles East of where the trail is. Even when you are sitting in the Quality Inn hotel parking lot and the trail passes the front of the trail it doesn't show it. Whenw e were riding from Senitare to Val D'Or not once did I even see a trail on the screen. I was at a gas stop and a guy pulled up next to me with a old Garmin Z276 and TrakMaps on it, I looked over and saw the trail and gas station and him at it. I asked and he said it works great. I have this Trakmaps on its way to me and will be trying it out during my next trip.

http://www.trakmaps.com/Home.aspx

Hello again!

Well this past weekend I tested the Nuvi 500 and the Sledgps.com map system.

I was very disapointed with the maps. We rode over 700 miles in 3 days and not once was I on the trail. The best example I have is in Mount Laurier it shows you crossing the river about 3 miles East of where the trail is. Even when you are sitting in the Quality Inn hotel parking lot and the trail passes the front of the trail it doesn't show it. Whenw e were riding from Senitare to Val D'Or not once did I even see a trail on the screen. I was at a gas stop and a guy pulled up next to me with a old Garmin Z276 and TrakMaps on it, I looked over and saw the trail and gas station and him at it. I asked and he said it works great. I have this Trakmaps on its way to me and will be trying it out during my next trip.

http://www.trakmaps.com/Home.aspx

I previously posted the same issue. The one to get is:

http://www.toporider.com/eng_sentiers_motoneige.html

I use it and update every year. Extremely accurate with lots of extras (rivers, roads, bridges, towns, etc.)

We just did a 5-day 1,300mi loop around Mauricie and the trakmaps were way wrong 25% of the time. Like they had old maps from previous years. Then on the last day the trail south from Chateauvert was mauled by a truck's tire tracks and after a few miles of crap we bailed following the "old" trails on the trakmaps and it took us right along some beatuful boondocking to the perfectly groomed 345 into Repo. So, after all... no complaints!!

We just did a 5-day 1,300mi loop around Mauricie and the trakmaps were way wrong 25% of the time. Like they had old maps from previous years. Then on the last day the trail south from Chateauvert was mauled by a truck's tire tracks and after a few miles of crap we bailed following the "old" trails on the trakmaps and it took us right along some beatuful boondocking to the perfectly groomed 345 into Repo. So, after all... no complaints!!

Yeah, I just got back from a few days as well and there definitely some deviations. However, remember, they get the data from the FCMQ - so they are the ones who are to blame.

All in all, I would still recommend it and continue to use it.

I have the Nuvi 500 on its way

Has anyone had any experience good or bad with the following map sets:

http://www.canadianmaps.ca/Maps/QVNPQ/quebec.htm

http://www.sledgps.com/Snowmobile-Trails-Quebec.html

I have used the GPS Quebec trail maps since 2006. I upgraded to the 2012 version last week and it is much improved (and a much larger file). I am very happy with it (I use a Garmin 276C) and would recommend it to any Quebec rider.

My link

GW

Thanks playhard for the good info I've been using track maps for 2 years And it sucks! It only works about 2o% of the time Constantly rerouting And constantly saying cannot calculate route I called and complained And they

updated me to this year's version for 40 dollars instead of 100 And it still doesn't work right I think I'm definitely gonna go with yours

Stan

One trick I found necessary with Trak is when you mark a new waypoint it has to be directly on the preset trail if you want to navigate to it, so if you're marking a hotel or gas or whatever, you need to mark it at the nearest point on the trail.

By the way, my wife got me a Garmin Montana (she must really love me to want to be able to return home!), hardwired to the 12 volt, and a RAM Mount (http://www.ram-mount.com/EmptyPages/SubGPS/Mounts/tabid/2707/Default.aspx) and it KICKS ASS!!

Love the Garmins, but just beware, the 2 things that tick me off about them is they use a USB connector for external power. The jack in the unit is not rugged or intended for the cable loads we apply to them, its made for a desk/office environment. I suggest a thin, highly flexible cord (perhaps a USB M-F extension cable connected to the one you ran) and strain relief it so its not side loading the jack int he GPS. The stock Garmin cords really stiffen up in the cold, cheap Chinese plastic jacketing!

And after a few seasons on the handlebars, the last few Garmins "we" have had started locking up. I suspect there are parts inside, or solder joints etc that fatigue and the units start to become "glitchy". Works 20 minutes now, then locks up. But in my pocket it goes 4-6 hours without locking up, so I know its a vibration issue.

Happened to my Colorado and Marty's Colorado, Icemans Oregon had similar issues as well

They should have a watchdog circuit that self-resets them when the CPU goes south instead of making the user stop and remove the batteries to reset it. Sucks to pay $400 for a unit that craps out like that. And when you return it for repair, you get a different one back "refurbished" and it will probably have a different set of problems.

That said, having them with the trail maps is really nice to have!

One trick I found necessary with Trak is when you mark a new waypoint it has to be directly on the preset trail if you want to navigate to it, so if you're marking a hotel or gas or whatever, you need to mark it at the nearest point on the trail.

By the way, my wife got me a Garmin Montana (she must really love me to want to be able to return home!), hardwired to the 12 volt, and a RAM Mount (http://www.ram-mount.com/EmptyPages/SubGPS/Mounts/tabid/2707/Default.aspx) and it KICKS ASS!!

You're right it always worked when I marked things on the map. I'll have to try that with actual places. I've had the ram mount I love it and I just installed hard wire power cable

Edited by zeusand

Love the Garmins, but just beware, the 2 things that tick me off about them is they use a USB connector for external power. The jack in the unit is not rugged or intended for the cable loads we apply to them, its made for a desk/office environment. I suggest a thin, highly flexible cord (perhaps a USB M-F extension cable connected to the one you ran) and strain relief it so its not side loading the jack int he GPS. The stock Garmin cords really stiffen up in the cold, cheap Chinese plastic jacketing!

And after a few seasons on the handlebars, the last few Garmins "we" have had started locking up. I suspect there are parts inside, or solder joints etc that fatigue and the units start to become "glitchy". Works 20 minutes now, then locks up. But in my pocket it goes 4-6 hours without locking up, so I know its a vibration issue.

Happened to my Colorado and Marty's Colorado, Icemans Oregon had similar issues as well

They should have a watchdog circuit that self-resets them when the CPU goes south instead of making the user stop and remove the batteries to reset it. Sucks to pay $400 for a unit that craps out like that. And when you return it for repair, you get a different one back "refurbished" and it will probably have a different set of problems.

I called garmin this past friday and asked them why it keeps switching to usb mode and they told me 99 percent of the time it's the power cable plus the way I had it wrapped around the handlebars bouncing around now it's hard wired and zip tied it should be good

I have used the GPS Quebec trail maps since 2006. I upgraded to the 2012 version last week and it is much improved (and a much larger file). I am very happy with it (I use a Garmin 276C) and would recommend it to any Quebec rider.

My link

I had the 2012 maps from sledgps.com and it was junk! Never on the trail from Mt Laurier to Valdor

GW

• 3 months later...

i know Mr.Gutz is up on GPS maps and things like that he might have some stuff too.. just a thought

• 4 months later...

This USB power cord issue is why I think my next GPS will be a 78 series. They have the same functions as a 62 but they still have the big rugged 4 pin connector. The 78 is a marine unit.

I confirmed that GPS Quebec is no longer updating their maps (i've used them for years). The only "commercial" place that i've found is Trakmaps so i purchased that card for 2012-2013. Are there any other gps map vendors out there? I'm sure they all get the info from FCMQ but the difference might be in the "point of interest".

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.toporider.com/eng_sentiers_motoneige.html

I purchased trakmaps from this retailer because I wanted that handy guide.

http://www.toporider..._motoneige.html

I purchased trakmaps from this retailer because I wanted that handy guide.

Oh and I did verify that it's the 2013, not the 2012...they just haven't updated the site.

The Trak Maps company got back to me, if you call them, they have the guide still for sale and will work out a price.

• 2 weeks later...