FCMQ requests QR feedback

Greg du Vermont

Outside of lot's of snow, smooth trails, good signing, I think folks are looking for cost effective solutions, safe and secure options for parking and lodging, and want to feel welcome in another country.

Please close your eyes, click your heals 3 times and make it so! :db:

• 6 months later...

Last season this thread and your many thoughtful responses were of great assistance in creating the following informal report to the FCMQ.

I found it very interesting that this years annual meeting included a significant promotion of a FCMQ 2.0 approach to greater invitation, welcome and listening to the feedback and voices of all user groups. I wanted to share the end result with you and thank you for your participation and continued feedback / thoughts.

Respectfully, Greg

La Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) March 20, 2014

4545 Pierre-De Coubertin Avenue
Montreal, Quebec H1V 0B2

My name is Greg Gilbert and I have been an American Quebec rider since 1984. I was asked by the FCMQ director from Monteregie, Philippe Soucy to offer an informal report to the FCMQ on issues and recommendations of importance for continued and increased “American” participation in the Quebec snowmobile experience.

These observations and recommendations are based on the following

Ø My personal experiences from snowmobiling over 80,000 miles in all regions of Quebec.

Ø The feedback of American Quebec Riders during my time as the American Ambassador to the Association des Motoneigistes du Quebec (ADMDQ) from 2006-2011

Ø My contacts with a broad range of American Quebec riders in my current role as a Columnist / Test Rider with SledMagazine.com, the English site of Motoneiges.ca

Ø Responses to a recent invitation for the feedback of high profile, high use snowmobilers who are participating members in an active and credible American “Quebec Riders” internet forum.

American “Quebec Rider” feedback relates to one of 3 basic questions

1) What unique features of Quebec Snowmobiling , keep American Quebec riders returning?

2) What realities have reduced our numbers?

3) What efforts / initiatives could encourage more Americans to return or choose Quebec as a destination?

Interconnected trail system

Interconnectivity is the biggest draw to the highest use groups of American riders. This is a feature of Quebec that is truly unique, offering high mileage touring opportunities which increase and spread the positive economic impact benefit across a much wider area. It is vitally important to a majority of American Quebec riders to protect and defend this system.

It is important to keep the economic impact of snowmobiling spread across as wide an area of each region of Quebec in order to create wider economic dependence, encouraging increased federal and local funding and support. The more areas that depend on and benefit from the economic impact of snowmobiling, the better it will be for the long term future of our sport.

Quality of the experience

Current American Quebec riders refer to the world class level of trail maintenance, signing and grooming as being features which set Quebec apart. It is most important to maintain this level of quality and experience.

Targeted expansion of trail loops

Tourism could be increased in targeted areas by FCMQ support of additional loop systems.

Examples:

The currently unrecognized, unsupported L’Etape to Lac Edouard trail could easily benefit increased tourism loop opportunities for Quebec, Mauricie and Saguenay regions.

A Clova to Chapais connection via the power line would open the Chibougamau region to a whole new level of economic opportunity.

Off trial programs - A greater number of Americans have and will continue to become interested in Off Trail opportunities. FCMQ efforts in organizing, identifying and communicating the existence and access to such areas to users should be a continued and active focus. The off trial demand will continue to increase and it is important to control and direct it to increase Off Trail tourism. Organization efforts will limit unauthorized (off trial) use from having a negative impact on existing trail systems and future landowner permissions.

Comfort and convenience

Encouraged regional promotion of preplanned tourism loops.

The Gaspesie region does a good job with this effort to make their region easy. Many potential snowmobile tourists are overwhelmed and intimidated by the endless opportunity of Quebec. Many occasional visitors limit themselves to the same areas, trip after trip. In time they become bored with the same (yet comfortable) experience and begin to limit their number of trips. More areas of comfort would equal more visits and more dollars. Regionally preplanned loops would also be helpful in attracting increased economic benefit to areas outside traditional hubs.

Expansion of the emergency location identification sign program.

The expansion of this initiative will continue to give new comers, less experienced and occasional tourism users a greater feeling of personal security. Greater comfort equals more riders and more money over more areas.

Expansion / modernization of trailside warming hut / toilette facilities.

This feature of Quebec was once much more prevalent than today. A resurgence of this convenience (in less populated areas) would offer a higher comfort and welcome to female riders. This would make it easier for couples to participate in longer snowmobile experiences across a wider range of areas.

Expansion of online trail pass purchase opportunities.

Easier access is always better. It also encourages purchases before an actual trip.

Convenient / free wifi access

Tourist desire access to communication and information for business or pleasure where ever they stop. Easy and plentiful wifi access encourages longer visits.

Expansion and promotion of Sled and Spa packages

This type of experience is of particular interest and encouragement to upscale high spending American tourist couples.

Perceptions

Theft - Secure parking initiatives and accommodations were once heavily promoted and very successful in countering tourists concerns of vehicle and sled theft. While occurrences have declined in recent years, Vehicle and sled security is still a primary deterrent to new riders coming to Quebec. FCMQ should retake an active role in the encouragement and promotion of these types of secure programs. The belief is also that very little is ever done in theft cases. FCMQ could offer a simple system by which stolen sled VIN # could be reported to the FCMQ. That VIN# could be added to a simple data base which could make a (reportable to legal authorities) match if the same VIN# was used on a future FCMQ trail pass. Such a program may not produce tangible or significant results, but the positive PR would be recognized.

Language barrier - Promotions that include the general concepts of “Don’t worry, let’s talk, we speak the universal language of snowmobiling” would be helpful. Potential newcomers have the fear of an inability to communicate. The reality is that basic tourist needs of lodging, food, repairs and fuel are easily communicated and any language barrier is as small as it has ever been.

Affordability

More than any other factor, affordability has caused a reduction in the number of American Quebec riders and resulted in a deterrent to new visitors. While US economic conditions, exchange rates, elevated hotel rates and fuel costs are beyond control, there are a few areas where costs could and should be addressed.

General note - Lodging and packages have increased over the past decade at a rate well beyond other snowmobile expenses. Once filled business’ took advantage of the economic demand for their services and increased prices. Now they see significantly less traffic, but the premium pricing remained. A pricing realignment might well bring more users back into the market, resulting in higher net profits than what they are seeing now. The times are not what they used to be.

Discounted Family trail passes - This would encourage more families to make Quebec a snowmobile vacation destination. One visit may easily add to additional visits and an introduction of the Quebec experience to future generations could have significant future benefits. Many American family members who used to buy individual season passes, have stopped coming all together. The economics were that they became able to afford a trip to Quebec only 1 or 2 times a year and the individual season pass costs became prohibitive. They reasoned that if they came only once they would get short term trail passes. The reality was that they never came back. It is important that users are enticed and encouraged to buy a season passes as it typically guaranties their future visit and ensures their economic impact. A 4 day or week family pass program would also more visibly welcome the significant economic impact of occasional family vacation users.

The current “Open Door” weekend program – This is seen as a very positive promotional program. This type of “introduce a friend” promotion effectively exposes and introduces newcomers to the Quebec experience.

FCMQ trail pass Insurance rebate - Most American Quebec riders carry insurance above and beyond Quebec requirements. A program, by which Americans could also take advantage of the present insurance rebate for Quebecers, would be a positive and appreciated move.

Regional discount coupons - Coupons such as those used in the Quebec Maritime region, encourage longer visits and more days of economic impact.

Nonresident trail pass subsidy - Quebec’s federal government could be approached with the concept of subsidizing the cost of FCMQ trail passes for non-resident visitors. The logic would be to encourage the higher participation of a group that brings in the highest level of economic impact. It is one thing for Quebec residents to redistribute domestic money; it is another to introduce all new money into an economy. Such a program would be perceived as a significant and special effort to invite American Snowmobilers to Quebec. The more you think about it, the more interesting and logical this concept might be.

Promotion

Expanded advertizing - Greater promotion in Northeastern State Association’s publications and newsletters, would introduce and invite more snowmobilers to experience Quebec

FCMQ kiosk eventsThe presence of an American Quebec rider would offer intrigued and prospective visitors a more comfortable and credible introduction to the opportunities of Quebec.

Border crossing

Very dated (often decades old) driving offenses prohibit avid, economically significant snowmobilers and often their entire riding group from gaining access to the Quebec experience. A more affordable or streamlined system for border crossing pardon of old infractions would be helpful.

Unless there is data to support heightened scrutiny of snowmobilers crossing the border, a little friendlier reception and welcome would be appreciated.

I hope that this information is of interest and that you continue to welcome and value the feedback and opinions of American “Quebec Riders”.

If I can be a future information and resource, please contact me.

Respectfully yours in Snowmobiling,

Greg Gilbert

PS: As an amateur snowmobile journalist, I once wrote an article entitled “Why Americans, Snowmobile Quebec”. For your possible interest, I have attached a copy in both French and English.

Greg

Super job. A candid and frank assessment of the issues. Hopefully your considerable efforts in producing your informal report will be well received by FCMQ. Your points under the "border crossing" section are especially noteworthy.

Your efforts are appreciated.

timbo

• 4 weeks later...

Very late to the answer here, but my response and almost only thing I could complain about is that lack of uniformity of trail grooming. I remember last year riding TQ3 from Shawinigan to Tadoussac, and wondering how there could be such variation in trail conditions. Some clubs are good, and some, frankly, are not.

Perhaps some consolidation bringing the weaker clubs into stronger clubs would be useful.

• 3 months later...

Last season this thread and your many thoughtful responses were of great assistance in creating the following informal report to the FCMQ.

I found it very interesting that this years annual meeting included a significant promotion of a FCMQ 2.0 approach to greater invitation, welcome and listening to the feedback and voices of all user groups. I wanted to share the end result with you and thank you for your participation and continued feedback / thoughts.

Respectfully, Greg

La Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) March 20, 2014

4545 Pierre-De Coubertin Avenue

Montreal, Quebec H1V 0B2

My name is Greg Gilbert and I have been an American Quebec rider since 1984. I was asked by the FCMQ director from Monteregie, Philippe Soucy to offer an informal report to the FCMQ on issues and recommendations of importance for continued and increased “American” participation in the Quebec snowmobile experience.

These observations and recommendations are based on the following

Ø My personal experiences from snowmobiling over 80,000 miles in all regions of Quebec.

Ø The feedback of American Quebec Riders during my time as the American Ambassador to the Association des Motoneigistes du Quebec (ADMDQ) from 2006-2011

Ø My contacts with a broad range of American Quebec riders in my current role as a Columnist / Test Rider with SledMagazine.com, the English site of Motoneiges.ca

Ø Responses to a recent invitation for the feedback of high profile, high use snowmobilers who are participating members in an active and credible American “Quebec Riders” internet forum.

American “Quebec Rider” feedback relates to one of 3 basic questions

1) What unique features of Quebec Snowmobiling , keep American Quebec riders returning?

2) What realities have reduced our numbers?

3) What efforts / initiatives could encourage more Americans to return or choose Quebec as a destination?

Interconnected trail system

Interconnectivity is the biggest draw to the highest use groups of American riders. This is a feature of Quebec that is truly unique, offering high mileage touring opportunities which increase and spread the positive economic impact benefit across a much wider area. It is vitally important to a majority of American Quebec riders to protect and defend this system.

It is important to keep the economic impact of snowmobiling spread across as wide an area of each region of Quebec in order to create wider economic dependence, encouraging increased federal and local funding and support. The more areas that depend on and benefit from the economic impact of snowmobiling, the better it will be for the long term future of our sport.

Quality of the experience

Current American Quebec riders refer to the world class level of trail maintenance, signing and grooming as being features which set Quebec apart. It is most important to maintain this level of quality and experience.

Targeted expansion of trail loops

Tourism could be increased in targeted areas by FCMQ support of additional loop systems.

Examples:

The currently unrecognized, unsupported L’Etape to Lac Edouard trail could easily benefit increased tourism loop opportunities for Quebec, Mauricie and Saguenay regions.

A Clova to Chapais connection via the power line would open the Chibougamau region to a whole new level of economic opportunity.

Off trial programs - A greater number of Americans have and will continue to become interested in Off Trail opportunities. FCMQ efforts in organizing, identifying and communicating the existence and access to such areas to users should be a continued and active focus. The off trial demand will continue to increase and it is important to control and direct it to increase Off Trail tourism. Organization efforts will limit unauthorized (off trial) use from having a negative impact on existing trail systems and future landowner permissions.

Comfort and convenience

Encouraged regional promotion of preplanned tourism loops.

The Gaspesie region does a good job with this effort to make their region easy. Many potential snowmobile tourists are overwhelmed and intimidated by the endless opportunity of Quebec. Many occasional visitors limit themselves to the same areas, trip after trip. In time they become bored with the same (yet comfortable) experience and begin to limit their number of trips. More areas of comfort would equal more visits and more dollars. Regionally preplanned loops would also be helpful in attracting increased economic benefit to areas outside traditional hubs.

Expansion of the emergency location identification sign program.

The expansion of this initiative will continue to give new comers, less experienced and occasional tourism users a greater feeling of personal security. Greater comfort equals more riders and more money over more areas.

Expansion / modernization of trailside warming hut / toilette facilities.

This feature of Quebec was once much more prevalent than today. A resurgence of this convenience (in less populated areas) would offer a higher comfort and welcome to female riders. This would make it easier for couples to participate in longer snowmobile experiences across a wider range of areas.

Expansion of online trail pass purchase opportunities.

Easier access is always better. It also encourages purchases before an actual trip.

Convenient / free wifi access

Tourist desire access to communication and information for business or pleasure where ever they stop. Easy and plentiful wifi access encourages longer visits.

Expansion and promotion of Sled and Spa packages

This type of experience is of particular interest and encouragement to upscale high spending American tourist couples.

Perceptions

Theft - Secure parking initiatives and accommodations were once heavily promoted and very successful in countering tourists concerns of vehicle and sled theft. While occurrences have declined in recent years, Vehicle and sled security is still a primary deterrent to new riders coming to Quebec. FCMQ should retake an active role in the encouragement and promotion of these types of secure programs. The belief is also that very little is ever done in theft cases. FCMQ could offer a simple system by which stolen sled VIN # could be reported to the FCMQ. That VIN# could be added to a simple data base which could make a (reportable to legal authorities) match if the same VIN# was used on a future FCMQ trail pass. Such a program may not produce tangible or significant results, but the positive PR would be recognized.

Language barrier - Promotions that include the general concepts of “Don’t worry, let’s talk, we speak the universal language of snowmobiling” would be helpful. Potential newcomers have the fear of an inability to communicate. The reality is that basic tourist needs of lodging, food, repairs and fuel are easily communicated and any language barrier is as small as it has ever been.

Affordability

More than any other factor, affordability has caused a reduction in the number of American Quebec riders and resulted in a deterrent to new visitors. While US economic conditions, exchange rates, elevated hotel rates and fuel costs are beyond control, there are a few areas where costs could and should be addressed.

General note - Lodging and packages have increased over the past decade at a rate well beyond other snowmobile expenses. Once filled business’ took advantage of the economic demand for their services and increased prices. Now they see significantly less traffic, but the premium pricing remained. A pricing realignment might well bring more users back into the market, resulting in higher net profits than what they are seeing now. The times are not what they used to be.

Discounted Family trail passes - This would encourage more families to make Quebec a snowmobile vacation destination. One visit may easily add to additional visits and an introduction of the Quebec experience to future generations could have significant future benefits. Many American family members who used to buy individual season passes, have stopped coming all together. The economics were that they became able to afford a trip to Quebec only 1 or 2 times a year and the individual season pass costs became prohibitive. They reasoned that if they came only once they would get short term trail passes. The reality was that they never came back. It is important that users are enticed and encouraged to buy a season passes as it typically guaranties their future visit and ensures their economic impact. A 4 day or week family pass program would also more visibly welcome the significant economic impact of occasional family vacation users.

The current “Open Door” weekend program – This is seen as a very positive promotional program. This type of “introduce a friend” promotion effectively exposes and introduces newcomers to the Quebec experience.

FCMQ trail pass Insurance rebate - Most American Quebec riders carry insurance above and beyond Quebec requirements. A program, by which Americans could also take advantage of the present insurance rebate for Quebecers, would be a positive and appreciated move.

Regional discount coupons - Coupons such as those used in the Quebec Maritime region, encourage longer visits and more days of economic impact.

Nonresident trail pass subsidy - Quebec’s federal government could be approached with the concept of subsidizing the cost of FCMQ trail passes for non-resident visitors. The logic would be to encourage the higher participation of a group that brings in the highest level of economic impact. It is one thing for Quebec residents to redistribute domestic money; it is another to introduce all new money into an economy. Such a program would be perceived as a significant and special effort to invite American Snowmobilers to Quebec. The more you think about it, the more interesting and logical this concept might be.

Promotion

Expanded advertizing - Greater promotion in Northeastern State Association’s publications and newsletters, would introduce and invite more snowmobilers to experience Quebec

FCMQ kiosk eventsThe presence of an American Quebec rider would offer intrigued and prospective visitors a more comfortable and credible introduction to the opportunities of Quebec.

Border crossing

Very dated (often decades old) driving offenses prohibit avid, economically significant snowmobilers and often their entire riding group from gaining access to the Quebec experience. A more affordable or streamlined system for border crossing pardon of old infractions would be helpful.

Unless there is data to support heightened scrutiny of snowmobilers crossing the border, a little friendlier reception and welcome would be appreciated.

I hope that this information is of interest and that you continue to welcome and value the feedback and opinions of American “Quebec Riders”.

If I can be a future information and resource, please contact me.

Respectfully yours in Snowmobiling,

Greg Gilbert

PS: As an amateur snowmobile journalist, I once wrote an article entitled “Why Americans, Snowmobile Quebec”. For your possible interest, I have attached a copy in both French and English.

Well articulated and imo right on the $$$. Thank you.