March 8th, 9th 2014 474 mile Yamachiche Loop!

markusvt

Day 1, 252 miles.

We drove to Yamachiche as it is a hop, skip and a jump for us. We were in Alains, (Towing's) back yard again. Not a real ton of snow here, but what they was was groomed perfectly. We headed due west on 3 until we joined with 63 north/west. The going was really nice, all of the dirt road sections were still frozen solid. As soon as we got north of St-Zenon, we took the orange side trail to hook up with 33 north. We got gas at the cafeteria just outside of St-Michael. We try to avoid food there this year because we don't generally have a hankering for cellophane wrapped mystery meat sandwiches and store bought cookies.

The plan was to eat and gas at Lac Torro, (we have never eaten there either), and it was only another 30 miles or so. On the way we came upon a side trail to Pignon Rouge Mokocan that we have passed before. This time we headed up the 2km to check it out. The place was packed and the food was awesome! Perfect English too. They said they have packages for $80 including room, dinner and breakfast which these days is a deal. The desert was delicious. No gas there that we could see, but we were set.

After lunch we headed out for fuel at Repo's, but with a twist of course..... We took the lakes almost the whole way! 33 was a tad bumpy so this was a good choice. All of the parallel lakes to the 33 were staked which was a real surprise. If you stay on the 33 you will drive into Repos parking lot so no problem there. Going south you have to pay attention or you will end up in Mattawan. Taking the lakes was super cool, with Lac Torro being the highlight, like driving on the moon.

We gassed up at Repo's at $1.90 per liter, wow but ot was super after all. Off to Kantawta for the night via the 345. The trail was one of the nicest of the season, and I am at 4500 miles so far. It was so awesome nice! They have really kept up on the grooming perfectly.

Just before the shortcut off the trail onto the lake at Kantawata we came on a mother Lynx and 3 babies. The babies were pretty big and could leave a good mark on you. We waited, shut the sleds off and took a handful of pictures. I have never had this happen. We then took the lake straight across to the backdoor of Kantawata. They have a new HUGE solar system since last season. Seems a few places are doing this now. I think the cost of diesel and propane are killing them.

Kantawata has nice cabins, and a nice dinner/breakfast service. We got in in plenty of time as the conditions were excellent. She gave us 2 cabins for 4 guys so tons of room.

post-464-0-89989800-1394677612_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-35600800-1394677626_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-45594800-1394677638_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-01583000-1394677649_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-23912000-1394677769_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Day 2, 223 miles.

The plan for the day was a little adventurous. (Off trail down to the start of M21 from Kantawata.)

A bit of a late start with the time change, but after breakfast we headed 9 miles north on 345, then hooked a right on the local trails for another 18 miles, (the trail used to go this way). It was nice as someone had been grooming it. It pops you out at the relay that used to be on the main trail that never had gas. Now that he is off the beaten path, he has gas, go figure. We did not fill up as we were good.

Now we had a 55 miles off road stretch, no signs, no grooming, on our own. The first 35 miles lined up perfect with what we had pre-mapped on the GPS, but now we were on a new HUGE road in the MIDDLE OF NOWWHERE. The snow was really deep, yikes. We had gas to go back, but we really wanted to complete the mission. This new road was unplowed and would make an awesome main trail! We fussed around a bit getting back on track, but we did it after a few false turns off the new road.

A few hours later we popped out on the end of the M21, all off road style, nice!

The M21 was groomed perfect, and like always the M20 was super also! We jumped on the 360 into Mattawin for gas and food. The trails were freshly groomed and in excellent shape. After lunch we headed down to the river, again perfect trail down to the river. Nice and warm out, and the locals were having a good time too. Tons of folks out on the river walking and getting some fresh air in the warm March sun.

We stayed on the river till we hit the 3. Then it's all power-lines and fields back to the truck. Everything was groomed pretty nice again, but it was obvious the power-lines took a beating with the week-end traffic. This is where the early season rains are really helping them hang onto the base.

We got back to the truck with 223 on the day, a fair part of it off road.

post-464-0-18536500-1394677841_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-52747800-1394677851_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-42406800-1394677959_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

The Lynx must be extremely active right now. Long cold winter must be driving them to hunt in the day. We saw a mother Lynx and 2 little ones on the 33 west of Manawan. They were not bothered by us at all. One of those once in a life time things to see I think. But do you by chance have those GPS tracks of the off trail stuff you just did ? I figured there had to be an something at the end of M21. I'm alway's looking for that sorta stuff, thanks

For sure you guys picked the right week to go, have a good time. We are planning to ride the next 3 week-ends in Quebec, we may see you!

Yes sir. Keep in touch we will try to get together for sure.

Yes sir. Keep in touch we will try to get together for sure.

I sent a PM to your homely sidekick, I am going to be in Amqui Monday night, with a motely crew. I believe the elusive bearded man of the Gaspesie is going to join us. You two should try to hook up with us.