Awesome 3-Day loop, March 21,22, and 23 2014

markusvt

Day 1, 276 miles:

We arrived Thursday night into the Montmagny Econolodge, (wow, a bit updated form the old 232). Conditions looked pretty darn good in the dark! We woke up, had a quick continental breakfast and headed off. I put a nice route into the GPS that would take us east on 551, then north on 55, north on 557, east on 35, north on 544, north on 565 then back south on 5 to RDL for what was supposed to be a total of 238 miles. Most all on the green trails and minimum railroad beds.

We started off in a fresh 4 inches, and it got deeper, and deeper, and deeper by the hour. The riding was just plain awesome. It was the best I have seen out of Montmagny, EVER. The sleds were using a bit more gas pushing all the snow. I broke trail for the first 70 miles, and ran out 7 miles before the gas station. We siphoned a bit in and off we went. On the 544 and 565 we were pushing 12-16 inches of snow. It was difficult looking for the top few inches of the red sticks in the fields. Whitest snow ever. It was really awesome riding.

We arrived at the Days-Inn in RDL at 5:00pm with 276 miles on the day, and all of it awesome. We saw 3 groomers and less than a dozen sleds, nice! The local relay folks were telling us 1 more week-end and they will be shut down. Hard to stay open with no traffic and plans made months earlier for what should have been a normal winter. I think some folks are ready for warmer temperatures. We rode all day on the low 20's, nice.

We took a taxi to the local La Cage Aux Sports for a tower of beer and some ribs and wings, (love that place).

In the morning we met a Quebec native down from the Gaspésie who runs a salmon fishery on the river. He said this is some of the most snow he has seen. He said it will cause some flooding as it melts, but it is very good for the declining salmon populations as it brings much needed cold water to the river.

He explained he has moved to a catch and release program to help the fish, nice.

post-464-0-31100300-1395844707_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-16738200-1395844724_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-78928700-1395844740_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Day 2, 204 miles.

The plan was to get in early to Rimouski, to head to the hill drags at the local ski mountain. Again, more snow, a lot more snow, and wind. The snow on the sides of some of the roads were as high as a school bus roof. We wanted a bit of a ride, so we choose 85 to 548 north to 5 to 578 north of Rimouski then east to 578, than south on 5 back to Hotel Rimouski.

Aside from the crazy goat path through the city, the hotel is really nice. Big rooms, very comfy beds. Very Victorian lobby.

This was an eastern route, again on the green trails as much as possible. We saw a handful of sleds, maybe. Saw one dead ski-dozer, (been there, done that in our 10 years as groomer operators).

It was really nice riding all day with plenty of snow, really too much snow if there is such a thing. No dirt, no rocks, no open dirt roads, no running water, nothing. Lot's of snow, and most groomed up to perfection.

We got in at 4:00PM, perfect time to shower, get a bite to eat in the bar and take a taxi to the races.

We arrived at the ski-area at 7:30, and watched until 10:00PM or so. 3 lanes of drag racing on the snow, up the ski-hill, pretty fun for sure.

We had an interesting Taxi driver. He said after this winter he was making plans to move a bit further south to get less snow. I ask how far south, he said New Mexico! He said look around, you cannot see the houses there is so much snow. He had enough weeks ago. I felt bad for him, but not too bad now step on it!

post-464-0-80819100-1395844942_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-52928600-1395844981_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Day 3, 232 miles.

The hotel had a really nice buffet breakfast that rivaled what you would get anywhere. Perfect way to start the day after 2 days of continental breakfast deals. Real food, yummy.

Plan today was 5 all the baby back to the truck. Easy to do, no choices.

WOW, the groomers had been out and it got cold last night, so we were treated to the double wide, super-fast, very fine power lines that were P-E-R-F-E-C-T! 5 is nice when there is no traffic, and there was none. It could not have been groomed any wider or faster for us. 16F when we got in the truck, 9F when I got home, -5F when I got up in the am. This is the winter that won't quit.

In 232 miles there was maybe 1 15 mile section that had not been groomed the night before.

You could have started much further south, but this was the right mission for us this time.

For sure NOT over, I see a nice 2 more weeks for many areas. Be smart, call ahead. Try to get your gas in the towns as the relays will be dropping like flies.

post-464-0-76573200-1395845029_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-18013400-1395845040_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-34559200-1395845129_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-70935600-1395845156_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

I'm sure happy my wifey picked this past weekend for her eye laser surgery. I could not have put up with such crappy conditions ! :-(

Before the start of the season I ask my bride do not book anything, she is very good about that unless you get hurt.

Before the start of the season I ask my bride do not book anything, she is very good about that unless you get hurt.

Things are not so bad ... I went the 2 weekends before last, and I'm going back again this weekend !

She asks for so little , and I do my best to deliver !

Very nice Mark! I park my butt in this area for several weeks each winter. Awesome trails, great grooming, club houses everywhere, and what I like most, the woods along the trails are absolutely beautiful.

mike