What are your favorite trailside food stops?

MXZ700RIDER

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best meals I had on the trail was at a pourvorie called Haltaparche back in 2007, it has since closed. I believe this place was just east of Parent. We were on a 10 day trip that the temperatures just wouldn't warm up . We pulled in after a long day with a daytime high of -38. My first impressions of the place were mixed, however when we checked in Jean Guy I believe his name was asked when we wanted supper, he said it would be served whenever we wanted it, a good sign. The place was run by him and his wife. We walked over for supper and his wife brought out a big plate rounded up with home made boiled pork dinner, there was enough on the plate to feed an army battalion. JG said when we finished that he would get us another plate full. I think the thing that made it so good was after eating in resturants for several days was it was a good old fashion home cooked meal. These kind of meals are really good after several days out.

Edited by smclelan

Roast Beef and Bread Grill and Ceasar Salad at La Glacier

Roast Pork at Koubec

Lumberjack Special at Cabane Hill

Pepper Steak at Lou Lou's

Any hot soup and cheeseburger you eat at a relay when the odometer says 200 miles so far and it's only 12 noon.

We were a big group and always had the sunroom tables reserved at breakfast and supper.Our group started in the basement rooms and then took up the whole top floor after it was built.

Remember Don Auger and Millie from the 80's? He had room # 1 for the whole winter and kept his sleds up there.

The owner at Lou Lou's said us snowmobilers were never happy....it's too cold....it's too warm...not enough snow...too much snow. lol

Gaston was quite a nice guy that owned the cabannon before Dennis. And Lac Clair before it burned down and Real Masse bought the place was run by generator and had gas lights.Remember the Pappion and lake of the pines and pied de la chute on lakeToro before the trail stopped going there?

Lots of changes up there.

The best thing that happened was getting rid of the berm in the middle of the trail.We didn't like it at first.but came to really like it as it spreads out the traffic on the trail and it can take a lot more traffic before getting bumpy and back then there was no where near the suspension the sleds have now.

I remember you guys now that I thought about what you were saying. I remember how I use to get up xtra early to try and get a table for our gang in the sunroom at breakfast. The brothers who had that 6 place open trailer. The car dealer from Quarryville, Pa. Tim Benders father. Of course everyone knew Don Auger. All the regulars that were at La Glacier at any given time. Rosie's down the street. Lou Lou's Steak House. The old lady who ran Koubec's. This was some of my favorite times in Quebec before we discovered saddlebagging. I also learned to like the median strip down the center that the Federation groomers use to make in the Parks.

The six place open trailer guys where from the Denver,Ephrata Pa area,,Name Horst's???maybe,, And the Quarryville Ford car dealer is Wade's,,Spends winters now in Florida,just talked to them a few weeks ago,both doing pretty good,,Don and Millie passed sometime ago but we see Donald's nephew that sledded that area,,Gaston did not have Lac Clairand dont recall it burning, ,was the Sacome',the big log place burnt just before completion,,maybe wrong,please correct me????

St Loius,,you were mostlikly warmer sleeping outside sometimes lol,,than all the noise from bar and dancing girls,,good old days,thanks fir the memories

The six place open trailer guys where from the Denver,Ephrata Pa area,,Name Horst's???maybe,, And the Quarryville Ford car dealer is Wade's,,Spends winters now in Florida,just talked to them a few weeks ago,both doing pretty good,,Don and Millie passed sometime ago but we see Donald's nephew that sledded that area,,Gaston did not have Lac Clairand dont recall it burning, ,was the Sacome',the big log place burnt just before completion,,maybe wrong,please correct me????

St Loius,,you were mostlikly warmer sleeping outside sometimes lol,,than all the noise from bar and dancing girls,,good old days,thanks fir the memories

Gaston didn't own lac clair but it did burn along with a lot of places that wern't doing well....hhmmmm?

I remember you guys now that I thought about what you were saying. I remember how I use to get up xtra early to try and get a table for our gang in the sunroom at breakfast. The brothers who had that 6 place open trailer. The car dealer from Quarryville, Pa. Tim Benders father. Of course everyone knew Don Auger. All the regulars that were at La Glacier at any given time. Rosie's down the street. Lou Lou's Steak House. The old lady who ran Koubec's. This was some of my favorite times in Quebec before we discovered saddlebagging. I also learned to like the median strip down the center that the Federation groomers use to make in the Parks.

Small world.....Lots of great memories. There was a big group from Pa. that stayed there the same week as us. Remember the hill that alot of people would get stuck on if they didn't have studs a few miles out across the street?

Then one year they cut a new trail beside it.We spent a couple hours on it one night trying to tow a broken sled up it.Never made it and had to go back to Gastons and leave it there.

Don't forget Maurice the groomer driver.

Edited by NSHM

Small world.....Lots of great memories. There was a big group from Pa. that stayed there the same week as us. Remember the hill that alot of people would get stuck on if they didn't have studs a few miles out across the street?

Then one year they cut a new trail beside it.We spent a couple hours on it one night trying to tow a broken sled up it.Never made it and had to go back to Gastons and leave it there.

Don't forget Maurice the groomer driver.

Yes I remember that hill quite well. People use to hold everyone up while trying to get a running start at it. Saw a lot of people not make it. Were you the gang that had the same guy go out every morning and start everyones sled then when they were all ready to leave, the guy would go out to the middle of the street and stop traffic and direct everyone across? I beleive we hijacked this post.

Yes I remember that hill quite well. People use to hold everyone up while trying to get a running start at it. Saw a lot of people not make it. Were you the gang that had the same guy go out every morning and start everyones sled then when they were all ready to leave, the guy would go out to the middle of the street and stop traffic and direct everyone across? I beleive we hijacked this post.

That wasn't us.

I gotta say "the boss" at Reales is the biggest and tastiest breakfast in all of Ca. But you gotta get there before 11 am. It kind of looks like the photo trailblazer sent but bigger. Shane introduced that meal to me years ago and I've been bringing some of the biggest, fattest, mindless feeder friends of mine and they all say "Wow". Around three pm they say "holy shit I can't believe I missed lunch, and I'm still not that hungry"

I wasn't really thinking about breakfast, and I'm sorry I don't have any photos (maybe NH Mouse?) but this unlikely joint blew us away with the biggest baddest fluffiest butteryest breakfast anywhere, bar none, and all it says is "dining room"... http://www.hotelmatagami.com/eng/service.php

How about CHILLI at Koubec's

That and Helens soups were always good.Always seemed colder out there but the old stove would take care of the chill.

That place could fill up in a hurry.

The old dog outside didn't like arctic cats and would piss on there skis and turn around and kick snow on them lol .

ROAST BEEF AT THE OLD . LOU-LOU'S IN ST. ZENON..

10-4 on Lou-Lou's Brion. Yvon and Pierette were great hosts. The roast beef was spectacular and most tasty. Enjoyable dining too.........if you has the good sense not to try to move one of her tables that were bolted to the floor...LMAO. In the old days (pre internet era) it was the only place to get the true scoop on trail conditions in the St-Z, SMDS area.