James bay?

dinobball23

was wondering if it was possible to get to James bay on a snowmobile from quebec. Either from matagmi or somewhere else. Have seen the tour in the Ontario side that extreme tours offers with the remote cabin. Just wondering if there was another tour or trails to do so. I have seen trails on a map up that way in raddison looking for anyone that has info on this. Thanks

Looks like a long backwoods trail from Matagami, as I recall from the maps.

I have been from Cochrane to the northern most tip of the groom trail section where the guide picks you up for the tour

but we didn't want to lose three days of riding to do this tour. We looked into the train from Cochrane, and this looked like the best bet, takes you right to James Bay. Problem we ran into is that the train, as I recall, only runs every

other day and we always arrived in Cochrane on the wrong day and we did not want to lose a day of riding while waiting another day for the train. Here is a picture of the start point for the guided tour to James Bay.

Mike

post-70-0-83133800-1414318164_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-30254700-1414318203_thumb.jpg

Again, I have never rode to Moosenee and James Bay. But researching on the internet in the past it appears there are no groomed trails in the James Bay areas. It also appears the riding is along the frozen coastline.

I also understand that guided tours, leaving from the trailer (picture I posted) entails riding ungroomed trails, powerlines, and frozen rivers. I've yet to see maps of this route to James Bay. It appears everyone hires the guide service or goes by train.

mike

Again, I have never rode to Moosenee and James Bay. But researching on the internet in the past it appears there are no groomed trails in the James Bay areas. It also appears the riding is along the frozen coastline.

I also understand that guided tours, leaving from the trailer (picture I posted) entails riding ungroomed trails, powerlines, and frozen rivers. I've yet to see maps of this route to James Bay. It appears everyone hires the guide service or goes by train.

mike

Yes thank you. That is all i have been able to find on info as well. And most of the tour is off trail as u have stated. Have heard of being able to go from Matagami and something even about going from chibougamau but was all logging roads or something. I have yet to see a map at all of the trip or any trails. Did see one that had some local trails up in raddison

I have tried to take a picture of the map I got at the snow. But it doesn't work to well. The number for the EEYOU-ISTCHEE BAIE-JAMES IS 1-855-328-2026.

There site is escapelikeneverbefore.com.

I talked to the guys in the booth, looks like they would love some riders up there.

The Snowmobile tour is 994 miles 1600 km. Senneterre-Lebel-sur-Quevillon-Chibougamau-Mistissini-Roberval-Parent-Senneterre

There is a big party-festival there called the Festival Folifrets Chubougamau Baie-James from feb 26th-march 7th this year. www.festivalfolifrets.com if I was going ...that looks like the time to go lol

i was up there two years ago on my loop. started in shawinigan to mount laurier to valdor to matagami to chibougamau to roberval ( then got cut short due to a buddys new cat breaking the chaincase) so to la luque and back to shawinigan. was going to go to parent then saint donat and back.

not sure what the big loop with be for this year so i may be in that area for the festival, that could be a good time.

so i have rode in the baie james region, im wondering about north of matagami up towards raddison, i did see a map of some trail or something but didnt get a very good look at it so idk if its possible or not. other than that there is the train mike was talking about, and then the extreme tours guide from ontario that seems to be about 1/3 trail and rest off trail. logging roads, frozen rivers, and such. about 550 miles i think i saw

The guide in Ontario is bill Froud. I know a few people that have gone and they say he is fantastic and fun. Bill also runs the trailer at the top of Abitibi Canyon where we get our fuel, soup and a hot dog.

The guide in Ontario is bill Froud. I know a few people that have gone and they say he is fantastic and fun. Bill also runs the trailer at the top of Abitibi Canyon where we get our fuel, soup and a hot dog.

well that is good news to hear, that is the first i have heard anything experiences from the tour. think it would be alot of fun and a little different then the normal trail riding.