Which Cell services work throughout Quebec/Gaspesie?

Sobr-NH

My old Tracfone worked perfectly until recently, but now Tracfone has dropped Quebec coverage.

We carry a Sat phone for emergencies, and a phone card for use at the hotels/payphones.

I would also like to carry a Cell phone. Can anyone comment what US based carrier works throughout Quebec? Such as Verizon, Cingular, ATT?

Or do I have to buy a Rogers or other Quebec phone/carrier?

I'd like a US based carrier since I use the phone 9 months out of the year here.

Typical riding areas are north of the St Lawrence such as Gaspesie, Saguenay, Val Dor, etc.

My old Tracfone worked perfectly until recently, but now Tracfone has dropped Quebec coverage.

We carry a Sat phone for emergencies, and a phone card for use at the hotels/payphones.

I would also like to carry a Cell phone. Can anyone comment what US based carrier works throughout Quebec? Such as Verizon, Cingular, ATT?

Or do I have to buy a Rogers or other Quebec phone/carrier?

I'd like a US based carrier since I use the phone 9 months out of the year here.

Typical riding areas are north of the St Lawrence such as Gaspesie, Saguenay, Val Dor, etc.

My verizon worked well in Val d'or as well as in Saint-mechel, I do not know about saguenay I will be going there soon, for the first time.

Have CellOne here in VT. You can add Canadian coverage for $10 month to cover roaming charges. Works from border to Rimouski. Just did 900 miles and phone worked well around the bigger towns. Some of Quebec not digital yet my old Motorola Star Tac worked better aroung the small towns.

It does work all over the Gaspe only around larger towns and works well around Lac St. Jean area too. Also St. Zenon, St Michel on the rare occasion when I ride there.

Verizon for me and Nextel for my brother, both worked.

Gutz

Any GSM or Quadband phone will work throughout the world (ATT/Cingular). Verizon uses there own network and service is very limited outside the US. It will probably work in Montreal, Quebec city, but outside of there it is anyones guess (I switched to ATT from Verizon for this reason since I travel internationally a few times/yr).

Karl

Any GSM or Quadband phone will work throughout the world (ATT/Cingular). Verizon uses there own network and service is very limited outside the US. It will probably work in Montreal, Quebec city, but outside of there it is anyones guess (I switched to ATT from Verizon for this reason since I travel internationally a few times/yr).

Karl

I have had pretty good coverage with Verizon in different parts of Quebec. I do use a lot of Analog though. Many times I have service and my friends ATT phone does not. It's about $.65/min

I have a verizon tri-mode phone. It seems to work the best since I get the analog signals in the smaller areas. Not all new phones do analog.

i've kept my old V710 for that reason as well, need the analog band in northern NH and Quebec.

John if Telus is the Canadian provider with the best coverage Verizon or Us Cellular would be your choice(CDMA phones) depending on who gives a better deal on canadian roaming, AT&T if Rogers has better coverage. I've used mine with no issues as far out as Rimouoski all throughout CHaudierre and in Sagueney with no issues. I'd go on Ebay and get a V710 for use when you ride and something like a KrZR for use the rest of the time, once you do it once you can switch phones online. Heres their coverage map, obviosuly gaps in the rural areas but looks like many of the typical stops are in coverage.

telus coverage

Rogers is ATT's/Cingular's partner in Canada. I have used att for years in quebec and have found it to be the best coverage in the southern and western portions of the province. most metro areas and towns of any size have Rogers coverage. that said, once one gets north of Mt-Laurier and much east/north of Quebec city, we have found that Verizon is the carrier with the best coverage.